Fret polishing - easy, fun and makes frets like buttah

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by coreytree, Feb 28, 2020.

1. coreytree

coreytree Tele-Meister

Just want to encourage others to consider learning how to do this sort of thing because of the great difference made by a bit of time and effort. I've gotten so that I can do set-ups and am now branching out into basic fret work, like polishing and removing/reshaping rough ends. I'm very happy with the results that are coming from this. I have quite a few guitars and it'd be silly to pay someone else to do this on all of them - that was my main motivation to learn to do this stuff. Lots of guitars means lots of guitar maintenance!

I spent a few months researching and gathering relevant tools, then practiced on my daughter's second hand Epiphone (edit) LP Junior ($35 from Guitar Center). Well worth learning to do in my case.

IMG_0544.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
  2. old soul

old soul Tele-Meister

Yes! Just recently did a leveling and crowning for the first time and am pleased with the results. Just doing a few things yourself can save a good amount of money

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk

TeleTown, Greggorios and coreytree like this.
  3. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I was reading the $17.99 guitar thread and thought it would make a good test pig for this! It’s the one thing I can’t do set-up wise.

Greggorios and coreytree like this.
  4. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

You got a LP Junior for how much?

coreytree likes this.
  5. coreytree

coreytree Tele-Meister

Sorry - in my haste I neglected to mention it's a used Epiphone!

6. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

That makes more sense but, even so, kind of deal we can only dream of this side of the pond. Looking around the cheapest I can find on Gumtree, your Craigslist, is £65, $80+. OK, haggling might get it for $60 but $35!?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
    coreytree and Matthias like this.
  7. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

I have the same kit. Works a treat.

coreytree likes this.
  8. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yup, perhaps the most feel-relevant thing you can do on your guitar aside from changing the strings. Can take a guitar from a pain to play to a joy. Your kit looks good (I've been meaning to get one of those fretboard protectors, myself), but all you really need is some masking/painter's tape, a little oil and the finest steel wool you can find.

coreytree and Mikesk like this.
  9. coreytree

coreytree Tele-Meister

I know, right??! Saw it hanging on the wall at Guitar Center for the price, played it a bit to assess it, and immediately snagged it. I think for some reason they just wanted to get it out of the store. That’s the story of how my semi-interested, then 12 year old daughter, got her first guitar. I would have just about killed to have had an electric guitar at that age. Maybe I was trying to make up for that somehow.

10. coreytree

coreytree Tele-Meister

The fret erasers are great, by the way.

11. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

It’s the happy little events like that that put a smile on your face!

coreytree likes this.
  12. medownsouth

medownsouth Tele-Meister

Some decent hosco fret files on eBay atm, just did my first, turned out great, saved a ton

Matthias and coreytree like this.
  13. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

bbbbbbut.... you didn't say how you did it?
    I use a Dremel with a damp cotton wheel and 3M Finesse It. Takes about 5-10 seconds per fret to make it literally shine like a mirror.

14. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Play your guitar enough and the frets will self-polish, in my short 45 year experience ...

15. coreytree

coreytree Tele-Meister

Good point, Schmee.

Initially I removed the strings (and if the guitar has an unfinished wood fretboard, I cleaned the fretboard wood using fine steel wool, moving in the direction of the grain, and a careful scraping with a razor blade next to the frets to remove any gunk.) To polish the frets, first I used a specialty fret-end file (Fret Guru brand) to sort of de-barb the fret ends where they were sharp, using techniques I learned on YouTube. Then I used the fretboard guard you see in the initial pic to protect the fretboard while I polished the with consecutively finer “fret erasers” you see in that little plastic box in the pic. Finally I used fine steel wool to polish, then once over using a strip of leather for the final polish.

I did a lot of research to learn what little I know of this stuff, getting much from YouTube and from TDPRI. I know I still have lots to learn, and I’m hoping experience will give me more insight into techniques and approaches that work for me.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    schmee likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.