Fret Leveling

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by oldtopper1986, Sep 21, 2021.

1. oldtopper1986

oldtopper1986 TDPRI Member

Hey, y'all!
    I'm building my first tele from a kit from byoguitar. I'm nearly done and in the setup and intonation phase but noticed the 5th fret is a bit warped on the high e side. Basically fretting 5 and 4 results in the same note. I've been watching a bunch of fret leveling videos but was wondering if anyone had tips for leveling just one fret. Should I just do the entire neck or is there a quick way to cheat? Thanks!

crazydave911 likes this.
  2. Timbresmith1

Timbresmith1 Tele-Afflicted

See if you can press it down-it may have sprung up out of the slot a little.
    Push down on the fret and let-up. You may be able to glue it back down by wicking some super glue in the fret slot.

crazydave911, Ron C and PhredE like this.
  3. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

You can spot level one fret with a small block that will span three, but you risk taking material off the two next to it. I level the entire board. You should also check and make sure the fret is fully seated - run around the crown with a 0.002 feeler blade and see if you can get it under. If so wick a little thin CA in the end or under the crown and tap it down.

Timbre beat me to it.

4. Timbresmith1

Timbresmith1 Tele-Afflicted

It is possible to spot-level. It’s a bit tricky if you haven’t messed with frets before. Pretty easy to take the high fret down too far...

5. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

Here is a little trick for leveling high frets. Take a little piece of some sort of flat metal bar that is long enough to span three frets. Put a piece of sand paper on the middle and two pieces of the same sandpaper upside down on the ends with double stick tape

IMG_3237.JPG

When you sand the fret in the middle you won't take anything off the ones on each side. In the background is another aluminum block with paper the whole length - you need to be more careful using that.

FWIW, here is the whole arsenal of fret leveling tools. I prefer to level the entire board which will take care of a single high fret

IMG_3238.JPG

6. oldtopper1986

oldtopper1986 TDPRI Member

I was thinking about trying something like this! Thank you so much!

crazydave911 likes this.
  7. eallen

eallen Friend of Leo's

If you havent done full fret level on your neck after fret install you can bet you have more than 1, or 2, or 3... out if level. Quality setup takes quality fill leveling.

It you have leveled & just found a high spot of a fret you can just remove that spot. I use a fret stinger from Stew mac but they are a ridiculous price for only a couple guitars. You can actually take a spot off the top of the fret by swiping the spot with a crowing file until it is level. Without a crowing file sand paper can also do it checking with the rocker after every couple swipes.

The real likelihood though if you haven't leveled the board is that as you remove material from the one it will throw am adjacent one out of level, & another, & it can snowball.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.