Fret leveling yer tele.......101

Status
Not open for further replies.

soulfixinman

Tele-Meister
as a side note.... many of those counter top guys do Corian or a Corian like material too, if ya want a life long supply of corian nuts, ask 'e for a "sink cut-out" that stuff gets "pitched" too..

Ron Kirn

yah Ron I got that covered already..the two pieces I picked out of the scrap bin when I got my corian leveling bar would be a lifetime supply for you and me, they are 3 by 5 footers, two of them.

4string

Friend of Leo's
as a side note.... many of those counter top guys do Corian or a Corian like material too, if ya want a life long supply of corian nuts, ask 'e for a "sink cut-out" that stuff gets "pitched" too..

Ron Kirn

I'll do ya one better than that: ask for some sample squares 'so you can check them to the carpet etc'. Corian comes in about 100 colors, so you might need the whole kit! And then you forget to bring it back...........

4string

Friend of Leo's
Ok hope you all don't mind getting back to fret leveling 101 for a minute, let me put my popcorn down.

Well I took 4Strings advice and looked up manufactured stone on the net in my area and located a shop in a suburb of where I live. Took my printed out list of what to do when I got there, because I surly wanted to have a chance at scoring some quartz polymer resin.

Following the directions I went right in the front door and noticed a few guys chatting in one of the small offices and also became aware of all of the beautiful polished stone all over this showroom, not to mention the very attractive woman helping someone pick out some of that there fancy engineered stone.

So I just popped in that office and asked them who was in charge, they laughed and said no one at the moment, so I just told them I heard this manufactured stone was the best material one could get for leveling something and that I was wondering if I could get a few pieces of scrap and that I was willing to pay for it.

So they asked me what sizes and I said 20 by 2, and if possible a piece 8 by 2, so the younger guy said he would check with the plant manager and if something close would be alright…I said sure.

So the plant manager finally comes to the showroom and he tells me he has something that might work but to cut it would be very expensive like someone else wanted a small piece cut and he charged them around $100. So now I am hoping for the best out of the scraps they have.

He took be to a hopper of freshly cut scrap but it was all wider than what I wanted. He also shoed me a piece like 1 inch wide by 4 feet long, I almost took that one
Then went to the back and started looking at all these pieces leaning against the wall. By this time I had told him what I was going to use it for and he seemed somewhat a little more interested in helping me.

What I ended up with is 2 pieces both 1 ¼” thick instead of ¾” one is 3” by 27”and the other is 3” by 9”…he was going to charge me to do any cuts, said it has to be programmed in. I don't think they had any in 3/4."

I thanked him shook his hand and offered to buy him lunch but he declined saying it was just scrap..So now I hope these will be ok to level with. What do ya’ll think.

http://www.cectops.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7&Itemid=13

thanks Ron and 4string

ALLRIGHT! Take it down to Home Despot and have them cut it on their tile saw. Cut the length to 20 and then rip some 2" wide/1 1/2" etc. I think they charge half a buck per rip if I remember correctly.....................

We're getting there folks. Ebay may no longer have quartz poly beams available at the rate work is picking up......................:rolleyes:

ps: Yeah, we got some babes working in our design center too. Must be a "industry standard". :cool:

soulfixinman

Tele-Meister
ALLRIGHT! Take it down to Home Despot and have them cut it on their tile saw. Cut the length to 20 and then rip some 2" wide/1 1/2" etc. I think they charge half a buck per rip if I remember correctly.....................

We're getting there folks. Ebay may no longer have quartz poly beams available at the rate work is picking up......................:rolleyes:

ps: Yeah, we got some babes working in our design center too. Must be a "industry standard". :cool:

The 27" one has partial slots cut in each end, and one little void in it, not on the edge but in the middle, it may have some high spots there, is there any way to smooth that out?

Tried Home Depot, they said they ony has one to rent, so I'll be looking for another place

StoneLeveler001.jpg

Last edited:

4string

Friend of Leo's
The 27" one has partial slots cut in each end, and one little void in it, not on the edge but in the middle, it may have some high spots there, is there any way to smooth that out?

So home depot ..hmmm, hope they do it, I'll have them cut both ends and the 2" width

StoneLeveler001.jpg

You can ck for high by putting something flat/straight on it and see if it rocks. It would be my experience that this will not be the case. The void can be filled using polyester resin (what we use) or anything else you want like 5 minute epoxy. Overfill it so it has a slight bulge and let it set up hard. You then take a sigle edge razorblade and slowly scrape it down w/ the blade held vertical. Like using a hand scraper or draw knife. The blade cannot scratch the granite.

A void would not really need to be filled for a sanding beam, but that is how it is done. A little Softscrub witt put a slight polish on the resin too. We use tints to colormatch the resin, just like mixing up some nitro!

The dark pc is "Tropical Brown": very hard and durable.
The smaller pc is "Dakota Mahogany". Comes from the Black Hills............

Get some silicon carbide sandpaper 80 grit. If you have a grinder that will speed things up. Use a dust mask!

Have fun!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.