1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fret leveling question

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Voicing 13, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Post some photos with your camera on MACRO (the flower symbol). A crowning file shouldn't be doing what you describe - not on those frets.

You're holding the crowning file horizontal, right? Not leaning it?

2. Voicing 13

Voicing 13 Tele-Meister

pictures

Ok this would be my first pass at the fret.

Attached Files:

3. Voicing 13

Voicing 13 Tele-Meister

pictures 2

This would be the second pass on the fret.

Attached Files:

4. Voicing 13

Voicing 13 Tele-Meister

pictures 3

Here is the 3rd pass on the fret and the file I am using.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  5. Voicing 13

Voicing 13 Tele-Meister

So what do you think?

Now I've looked on youtube and read Rob's tutorial on his webpage. I'm by far not an expert at this and I am still learning obviously but I don't think my file should be doing this. I'm keeping it at 90degree and have followed all the steps I have read about or seen on youtube; still it seems off.

I don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to blame my tool, if it's me I want to know but still seems like it's not what it should be.

Let me know.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  6. rolling56

rolling56 Friend of Leo's

Are you just using that small file to to a fret level? or just knocking down that one fret? sorry but i don't understand what you are doing with one fret colored.........

7. Voicing 13

Voicing 13 Tele-Meister

yeah, sorry I forgot to mention. Yesterday after noticing that it wasn't doing what it was supposed to, I leveled the board again just a little. So I coloured the one fret to be able to show in pics my difficulty with technique or file. Now I have to re-tape and crown all the frets.

oh, btw fill = file, my bad.

8. Nick JD

Even if that crowing file is way too big for your frets, it shouldn't be taking material off the middle of the fret - not initially anyway.

You should see the shiny flat area in the middle of the fret (or the sharpie mark) get thinner and thinner. And stop when there's a hair-width line down the middle of the whole fret.

Only thing I can think is that your file is for HUGE frets.

Are you doing smooth even strokes? Is something else rubbing the sharpie off?

9. Voicing 13

Voicing 13 Tele-Meister

"Even if that crowing file is way too big for your frets, it shouldn't be taking material off the middle of the fret - not initially anyway."

That's what I am under the impression. I tried on several frets and always with the same result.

"You should see the shiny flat area in the middle of the fret (or the sharpie mark) get thinner and thinner. And stop when there's a hair-width line down the middle of the whole fret. "

I tried different ways of doing it: even strokes, shorter strokes, faster ones (like in a video) and always making sure I am holding the file properly. Still the result is always uneven on the frets.

"Only thing I can think is that your file is for HUGE frets."

Could they have sold me a file for bass frets by mistake or is that just a ridiculous notion?

Are you doing smooth even strokes? Is something else rubbing the sharpie off?

I can't see anything that would be rubbing the sharpie beside the file. I must say I find the fret file very coarse.

When I practiced on cheaper necks, I was setting the action high and not using the maker again to see what I was taking off while crowning. So I didn't notice this problem. Now I find that I want to play with a lower action.

I think I will just use a triangular file like on some youtube videos and do it that way. Honestly I can see anything else to do. If it's my technique than I'm just not seeing where I am making my mistakes. This is frustrating. Even as I am writing this, I've gone back to the guitar tried different ways of doing and still not getting that line. The sharpie gets rubbed off in weird areas. :confused:

10. GigsbyBoyUK

GigsbyBoyUK Friend of Leo's

I bought my crowning files in a set of three with sized radiuses and for each guitar I use the final fret as the one to check which file works best. It could well be that your file is not the right size for those frets.

11. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

One thing that I think I'm seeing in the photos you've posted is that the levelling is not equal across the entire length of each fret. In other words it looks like the frets are flatter in the middle (filed down more) than at the ends of the fret where the flat area is much narrower. It looks like you spent more time with the file in the middle of the fretboard.

If this is even an accurate observation I have no idea why or how that would affect the problem you're having with crowning the frets. The pic of your crowning file makes it appear that the filing area is much larger than my file is but that could be just the way the pic makes it look. Look at how much wider the file's groove is compared to the frets in the photo. If in fact it's not the right sized file that could account for the results your getting I would think.

12. Nick JD

That's the only thing I can think of as well.

Perhaps send an email to Warmoth. They might have sent you one to round off railway tracks.

13. Voicing 13

Voicing 13 Tele-Meister

ok guys,

thanks for all the input, I'll email Warmoth and double check if they possibly could have sent me the wrong file. After I may just bring it to a prop who may be willing to teach a little or just use a regular file.

thanks again

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.