1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fret Erasers

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by WrayGun, Feb 1, 2021.

1. triple_vee

triple_vee TDPRI Member

2 sided nail polishing file FTW. Coarse side then fine side.

2. Cpt.Blues

Cpt.Blues TDPRI Member

The Mr. Clean Magic erasers need to be wet in order to work. Probably not a good idea on the fretboard.

3. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

Since I'd be taping off the fretboard anyway, does that really matter???

4. Henley

Henley Tele-Holic

I try not to use water when I do fretwork. Never used these erasers...steel wool is still my favorite, it makes quick work of it...and if you know how to prep correctly...it's not messy.,

I just bought a pack of the Japanese Hosco variety to test.

5. Robert Graf

Robert Graf Tele-Meister

I don't know where you got that price, but I think I paid around 40 bucks for a roll of 1000 grit, which I use a decent amount of, although the stuff lasts a long time. I don't remember what I paid for the sheets, but it was much cheaper than buying any of the kits or assortments, and I use it on metal, wood and plastic. The sheets I buy are probably 9 x 12.

6. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Are you buying actual, branded Micro Mesh? Micro Mesh doesn't come in 1000 grit. They use their own grading system. The regular MM grades range from 1500 - 12000. AO and MX types have their own ranges, and are used for specialized purposes. Nowhere is there a grade 1000.

I got that price from the manufacturer's site: https://micro-surface.com/product/micro-mesh-rolls/

If you're getting a knock-off from eBay for cheap, that might explain the need to go through so much. MM is not just 'very fine sandpaper'.

7. Robert Graf

Robert Graf Tele-Meister

It's not counterfeit. It's Micro Mesh. I've been using it for over 20 years. I picked it up of the internet, but not through eBay. I think it was from some auto body shop over 10 years ago, so they were probably just clearing out what they had around. The AO stuff is aluminum oxide, mostly for plastics, and the MX line is for metal polishing.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.