Fret buzz...how bad is bad?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by funkymann1, Nov 19, 2015.

1. funkymann1

funkymann1 Tele-Holic

been a builder for a few years of necks & bodies....i notice some guitars have little buzz & some have more...
    in your opinion what makes buzz bad?....in other words how much does it bother you before you say i need to fix this....i notice some customers dont care much & others mostly beginners let it drive them nuts.....
    to me almost every guitar with low action & jumbo frets will have some sort of buzz on the low e & sometimes a strings....sometimes the buzz is also heard thru the amp....not just unplugged...
    we know some of the issues like open strings mean low nut slot
    fretted notes can sometimes mean your leveling to flat or the pitch of the neck is off or the rod is to tight

to me i could care less about buzz...as long as the note has sustain & bends dont fret out...just play the damn thing & shut up!

opinions?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2015
  2. s_tones

s_tones Tele-Holic

I use jumbo frets on all my builds now and I really like them. I generally set the action at 12th to between 3 and 4/64ths. There is a whiff of concavity on the neck which is the normal setup. None of them buzz anywhere on the neck. I personally would try to avoid buzz if at all possible.

3. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Buzz through the amp is too much for me. Buzz I can't hear through the amp doesn't register for me.

4. adeiderich

adeiderich Tele-Afflicted

1. If you can hear it amplified.
    2. If it affects sustain.

That being said, I prefer to let my strings have a little breathing room to let 'em sing!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  5. Diamond Dave

Diamond Dave Tele-Meister

As long as it can't be heard over the rest of the band, I don't care. It does annoy the poop out of me if I'm practicing by myself with a clean amp setting and it's coming through the amp.

6. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

I agree with the notion that if it isn't coming through the amp it doesn't really matter. My buddy is a great guitar tech and says the same. All my guitars have a bit of buzz (Gibsons, Fenders and ones I've built) but I never notice it when playing live. So I don't care either.

7. Deaf Eddie

Deaf Eddie Friend of Leo's

I try to set my guitars up so I can get a four-half-step bend out of them on the E and B strings - that's a major third up - not I ever pull a note that far (very often), it's just a test. If that note plays and sustains, I don't mind a little rattle. If it chokes out, then it's time for some adjustments...

8. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

These are some really good and specific answers to a difficult-to-answer question. Thanks to the guys who've responded!

Rex

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.