1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Freezing lacquer for vintage effect

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Nokeef, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Nokeef

Nokeef TDPRI Member

Does anyone have experience of freezing a newly lacquered body to achieve a vintage effect? Any advice appreciated.

2. Torz Johnson

Torz Johnson Friend of Leo's

Danish Pete did it with his Gold Top. Check it out and see if you like how it turned out.

Nokeef and BobbyJames like this.
  3. BobbyJames

BobbyJames Tele-Meister

That was beyond satisfying

Nokeef likes this.
  4. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc Tele-Holic

Metallic finishes crack really easily!

I had my Tele I was trying to crack out in 5 degree weather for a few hours and hit it with a heat gun. Nothing! Yes, I’m sure it’s thin nitro as I made it myself. With today’s plasticizers it may take several tries to fatigue the resilience and crack. I’m not a fan of the shattered glass look of compressed air that is so common from factories that few are going to recognize the real deal.

Nokeef likes this.
  5. derekwarner

derekwarner Tele-Meister

In the video posted by Torz.....courtesy from 'Danish Pete'.....the premature age cracking of the assumed nitro guitar front face certainly worked

It is probably useful to understand, in any hollow bodied stringed instrument with a contoured front face, it has by design stress induced within that timber front face

You will notice that all of the crack indicators from the induced temperature gradient extremes are in the vertical plane, that is at 90 degrees to the string tension axis

So for a 'hollow bodied stringed Les Paul' type instrument these vertical micro cracking appears valid

This process I assume is to show a prematurely aged a surface.......I suggest it would not work on a flat surface, nor does it allow crazing or aging through a physical process due the natural aging of surface finishes ....

i will naturally eat my words if a member here displays some form of natural aging to show a 5 year old Tele looking like a '55 Series Broadcaster

Derek

Nokeef likes this.
  6. Nokeef

Nokeef TDPRI Member

Thanks guys, the Danish Pete video was interesting but the resulting linear cracks didn't seem too natural. I saw a video of someone using a CO2 fire extinguisher but the results weren't clear. how about popping it in a chest freezer? Maybe I'm just expecting too much?

7. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

I've used the freezer a couple of times. Both times I had to repeat the process - put the body in the freezer several times.

I was afraid that the vinyl sealer I'd used was stopping them from checking (the vinyl is more elastic).

One Paulownia body didn't show much checking at first, but over a year or so it got subtle lines that continue to grow.

On an ash body I did last year, I kept repeating freezer until it really started to crack.

Nokeef likes this.
  8. MatthewK

MatthewK Tele-Holic

Funny you should say that - check out this example:
    http://www.tdpri.com/threads/nocaster-identify.924246/
    I'm not a relic fan but the finish on that is totally convincing to me.

Nokeef likes this.
  9. Nokeef

Nokeef TDPRI Member

Yeh, that's the sort of thing i'm after. Unfortunately the guy bought it but didn't make it, so no clues. Cheers

10. Nokeef

Nokeef TDPRI Member

My budget has only stretched to a squire affinity body and its in four parts. Any possibility freezing might affect the integrity of the body?

11. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

It shouldn't affect the glue joints. My GFS Paulownia body is at least three pieces, it went in and out of the freezer several times.

Nokeef likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.