Frees bass player Andy Fraser passed away

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Tazz3, Mar 17, 2015.

1. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

2. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

RIP Andy

3. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It seems that you were quoting the wrong reply but since my reply was the only one about his choice of basses, I assume that you were talking to me.

As for getting clarity out of a Gibson EB3, are you familiar with Mike Watt?

Or Rinus Gerritsen of Golden earring? He used an EB3 on the sessions of "Moon tan" and it is heard twanging along on their biggest hit.

4. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

RIP Andy.

I love Free. What a great band. We cover Free.

I really love the band. Andy was a very melodic bass player.

5. Manolete

Manolete Friend of Leo's

I'm a big fan of the Minute Men, but had forgotten Watt played an EB-3. He tended to modify his with a pickup in the sweet spot, and a lot of the MM stuff was recorded with some sort of PJ bass I think. He uses a very clean looking EB-3 in the 'This Aint No Picnic' video, so maybe the bass work on Double Nickels was an EB-3? I always thought Rinus played Danelectro Longhorn basses, or replicas, so I've learned something new. :cool:

I linked to the Fly Guitars article as it mentioned his personal issues, or at least I thought it did. I've seen another interview that covered Andy's coming out in the '90s, including discussing the matter with his wife and daughter and his fight against AIDS which lead to his persuit of a healthier lifestyle. Nobody 'wins' with this sort of illness, but he did a much better job than many in the circumstances.

6. A.B.Negative

A.B.Negative Friend of Leo's

Sorry, double post.

7. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Watt used a Fender Telecaster bass fitted with PJ set up for the early minute men stuff and was also seen playing a non reverse Gibson Thunderbird and a fifties Fender P-bass with Thunderbird pickups.
    [​IMG]

Yes Rinus Gerritsen is a known Longhorn player but he found out pretty quickly that the fact that they were pretty much impossible to intonate and thus sounded really off when recorded, to be the reason to use other basses like the EB3 in the studio while rocking the Dano on stage where the intonation issues were of no concern. Amazingly, there is footage of Rinus BUYING the Gibson.

When his original Dano was stolen in the late seventies Rinus switched to using THIS monster.
    [​IMG]

Ah sorry, my bad.

8. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

Sad news. Sixty two is far too young an age. Fraser was a big influence for me as a would be player. I'd never heard anything like his free ranging bass lines on Mr Big and it impressed me mightily. Both the players who turned me on to bass have gone in last year, Glenn Cornick being the other. Seems like an era is passing.

9. 68Telebass

68Telebass Tele-Afflicted

Yes- add Jack Bruce to the list.

RIP

10. Ted M

Ted M Tele-Afflicted

A unique and gifted player, and a great writer. I still listen to Free, including a great live CD I picked up somewhere.

11. bluesfordan

bluesfordan Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I only saw this news today. I was telling my nephew last summer about Andy. We were listening to the 1970 live concert on CD and I was telling him how Andy was just 15 when he joined a world touring rock band, and just 17 when he was playing on that CD we were listening to. My nephew, who was 17 at the time, was flabbergasted.

"Oh, man, I can't even imagine what that must have been like."

Truth be told, it was a different time. The likes of Andy come but once in a great while. I especially liked his work on 'Moonshine'.

12. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

I just saw this too. Very sad. Another great musician gone. Rest In Peace, Mr. Fraser.

13. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.