(Free) software for drawing guitar wiring diagrams, circuit layouts...

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by bancika, Feb 6, 2017.

1. bancika

bancika TDPRI Member

Cool...out of curiosity, why are you using solder pads instead of "Trace Cut" components on the vero board? I now have some tools to analyze the circuit and they will not work properly if you misuse components like that. For example, there is "Highlight Connected Areas" mode in the config that will highlight traces on the vero that are jumpered together, but will honor the cuts...or you can create a netlist and see in text form the component nodes that will get connected.

2. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I use the solder pad because visually it looks more like a cut. Maybe I can edit/configure the cut to work better but I haven't been able to as of yet. I also can't get change the colour of the jumper wires. I am using 3.50.0 so perhaps the new version will improve on this. I'll give it a shot and let you know.

Cheers,
    Andrew

EDIT: I just checked and it looks like I used solder pads under the OpAmps but the others are using the Trace Cut component. Reason I used pads under the OpAmps is because the pads have better definition but I’ll change them out for the proper trace cut components so that the software can analyze the circuit.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  3. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Afflicted

Bancika, as a long-time user of your DIY Layout Creator, you are a legend.
    This new one looks good, too.

Thanks for your work, much appreciated.

awasson likes this.
  4. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Does anyone have a solution for opening this on a Mac? I get the "damaged" dialog box and can't seem to override the security. I have tried control-click to open as per Apple help with no success.

24 track likes this.
  5. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

same here

6. awasson

It works fine on the Mac but you do have to turn off Mac’s heavy handed security temporarily. You have to turn it off via the shell for the first time you run it and then you can turn it back on. We discussed this a couple of times in TDPRI. I’ll find the relevant info and link it.

7. awasson

8. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Thank you. That worked.

awasson likes this.
  9. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

I have it running on my Mac, My wife found the solution, you have to disable something in the security to let you download second party app's, I'll ask her when she gets home hopefully she will remember If she finds it's I'll post it. I upgraded my mac I was getting the same Java thing never worked i really missed DLC. BTW be about 4 hours.

10. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

Didn't notice you got it solved

11. AAT65

AAT65 Poster Extraordinaire

Just got DIYLC running on my Mac and really need to say Thank You!
    It’s an excellent and very useful piece of software, and must have taken me all of 30 seconds to work out how to do what I wanted — very good work! You are a friend to all guitar-playing mankind!!

awasson likes this.
  12. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

I am using DesignSpark to draw and route schematics. It is free and easy to use, even creating your own components is fairly straight forward.

It creates Gerber format, which I then open in CamBam (not free but also not outrageous for a hobbyist) and make to tool path and hit the baby CNC with the Gcode.

A PCB has just become a more elaborate guitar headstock inlay.

Schematic
    6FA094C9-BC19-4063-BD89-95DAE5337DF0.jpeg

Routing
    9D90403A-8A72-4ADA-B095-96567301DE39.jpeg

Gerber imported into CamBam
    42E93C25-1E65-44CC-87E5-8AC00CA6F1D1.jpeg

Postprocessing and tool pathing (with errors still)
    Thanks AF96D377-5CD0-4D25-96F3-FF85B96242D9.jpeg

Making some dust
    9C8B992E-1A36-4281-9B27-888637EE2C46.jpeg

Final product
    E9309A3D-73B9-4AEE-B08B-40E7BFFC47FB.jpeg

awasson likes this.
  13. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

I've just changed PCs and installed the nescessities for my personal pedal designs. Audacity for recording dry .wav files of my playing, LTSPICE for circuit design and simulations and of course DIYLC. Wish I had updated sooner, there's tonnes of components I previously drew up using the shapes and other components. The twisted wires and all the new electromechanical stuff would have been great in my amp design and the audio transformer in my octave up/preamp.

Anyway thank you for the constant updates.

awasson likes this.
  14. brogh

brogh Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Wonderful !

thanks for sharing !

15. mcatueno

mcatueno TDPRI Member

I've just registered here just to say THANK YOU BANCIKA for such an amazing job!

awasson likes this.
  16. velja

velja NEW MEMBER!

Bravo Bancika.

17. Euphonica

Euphonica Tele-Meister

I am a total newbie and am trying this stuff out for the first time. Apologies if I am asking dumb questions.

This is awesome!! But it's not working for me, I cannot switch between component options. It says to "right click" but I am on a Mac, and that usually means ctrl+click. But I tried everything and can't get options.

I am trying to put in jaguar switches, and I've hit a wall. Any way to get a right click on a Mac? I'm on Catalina.

EDIT: switched to a Windows box (which I hate, if someone can get this to work on Mac I’d love it) so now I have a right click, but now I can’t find roller pots. Where are those?

2nd EDIT: there are no roller pots. Oh well.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
  18. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

Just use the dpdt toggle switch and the standard potentiometers. The actuator doesn't really matter and as far as I'm aware there are no actuators in the software.

You can change the size of the potential/rotate it by double clicking the component which will bring up an options menu. You can do the same (double click) on the switch to rotate the switch.

19. Euphonica

Euphonica Tele-Meister

Hey thanks a lot for the reply! I had to switch to a Windows box (which sucks!) in order to get the DPDT switch. I don't understand why the Ctrl+click doesn't work as a right click.

Now I am in wiring hell and have zero idea what I'm doing. I tried to make a diagram that could be submitted for correction, but I'm totally lost at the lower switch plate switches. I'll be asking for help very soon... I wish I had gone to school for this stuff.

Sorry for being emotional, computer trigger me.

Asmith likes this.
  20. MirageIndigo

MirageIndigo TDPRI Member

What's your core issue? I've used DIYLC on osx for a while when laying out amps and it just kinda works. You do need to disable the security to get the install working, right click on OSX is something like ctrl+click. Or you can just plugin a regular external mouse.

Note that the roller pots are just pots with a roller attached to the shaft, right?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.