Free reverb impulses?

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by kiwi blue, Nov 30, 2014.

1. kiwi blue

kiwi blue Tele-Afflicted

Recently I downloaded the free reverb IR loader SIR1. It comes with two free impulses: cathedral and theatre. I don’t have any need for cavernous cathedral spaces on my current projects so I didn’t bother trying it, but I was pleasantly surprised by the theatre impulse.

I’ve been using Ambience as my reverb. It’s a nice algorhythmic reverb and I thought I had it dialled in pretty well, but it sounds 2 dimensional when A/Bed with the theatre impulse. The impulse had a more natural, relaxed sense of space that made things feel more alive.

I have googled up some links to various free impulses but haven’t had a chance to download them yet let alone try them. I don’t want to waste too much time sorting through them. So does anyone have any that they particularly recommend for a small group setting? I’m thinking mainly room, recording studio, small hall types.

I have zero budget for buying software so I’m only looking at freebies right now. I can barely afford beer these days.

2. kiwi blue

kiwi blue Tele-Afflicted

Thanks kennl, I hadn't come across those sites yet. Some cool stuff in there!

3. Newbie Brad

Newbie Brad Tele-Meister

This stuff is so cool. Love the technology. I messed with impulses a whole lot in the early 2000 decade. I knew how or had a thingie that made impulses anywhere you wanted so you could have impulses from any room or speaker you wanted in a DAW. But I can't remember the stuff at all right now. This weekend I got the new desktop version of BIAS with the extra amp-copying thingie. I am curious to see if it turns out it is just basically an impulse system.

4. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

When I transitioned from Logic Express to Logic Pro, I got Space Designer, a truly powerful IR library — but it was an embarrassment of riches, there were so many places to go that it was overwhelming. After a couple of years with it, I can tell you this: When you find an IR that works with your stuff, treasure it like it was gold — save the keepers on your secondary HD and put them on a memory stick just to be safe. So far I've found about six or seven (out of zillions) and they work every time when put into the right place. With SD, you can save a preset and tweak it the next time you use it, but I don't know how that would work with your DAW situation.

In practical terms, all I'm saying is, if you have seven spatial environments you can count on within your area of endeavor, you're pretty good to go. IMHO! YMMV! All that stuff! :D

5. kiwi blue

kiwi blue Tele-Afflicted

I hear you Woody. I don't want to get bogged down spending hours trawling through plugins and impulses. I just need a few good ones that work in my world. I'll have to make a favourites directory somewhere. I do like that theatre IR I mentioned, and that should work well on my stuff even if I don't find any other keepers. So I'm already ahead!

@ Brad: I did some basic reading about creating impulses too. There's a local hall I like the acoustics of. Got me thinking I might like to use it for some impulses one day.

6. Newbie Brad

Newbie Brad Tele-Meister

:)

7. kiwi blue

kiwi blue Tele-Afflicted

Spent quite a few more hours with the theatre IR now, and I now have a clearer idea of what it does and doesn't work well on.

I tried it on a range of tracks, just on a single reverb bus receiving everything except bass. Spent some time learning how to dial it in a bit better. In each case I A/Bed it with Ambience. For some songs the IR is easily better. It's especially good for slower, sparser stuff where a nice, natural sense of room really fills out the sound.

On others - mostly more rhythmic songs with denser instrumentation - I prefer the punchier sound I got using Ambience. In some cases it was not even close. On those tracks, an IR of a smaller space might work just as well.

So there's a good lesson right there.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.