Free DAWs?

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by Danjabellza, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    Danjabellza likes this.
  2. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

I hear you.
    When Justin first wrote Reaper the official title was "Rapid Editing And Recording EnviRonment..." I believe, which is still the one I quote when someone questions the name... which they always do)
    Oddly, I find that Reaper has really taken off in Russia with big-time engineers.
    They're scientific about it: they take a look at the size of the executable file and see all that it does and make a reasoned decision: it's the best code, the most efficient.
    (And it is, in this case, a well thought out choice: since hardly anyone in Russia pays for software, merits - not cost - are the prime determinant))

beagle and Danjabellza like this.
  3. bluzkat

bluzkat Tele-Holic

Justin is definitely a wizard when it comes to coding. :D I think Reaper is great, I have used it for years. It can be as simple or complex as you want it to be.

If you use it and like it... respect the developer and buy a license.

suthol likes this.
  4. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Simple answer in your situation.

Helix Native is a VST on a Windows machine. (AU on a Mac)...
    If you want to run Helix Native inside the DAW, the DAW must support third party VST's or it won't load.

Danjabellza likes this.
  5. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

My free trial of Reaper went TBD. (To Be Deleted). I was evaluating it as upgrade from Tracktion 7 (free). I found Reaper not as easy to learn and not visually friendly on a 22” screen. Upgraded to Waveform10 (Tracktion 10), not free at $69. With Waveform 10 I got Auto Tune, Melodyne, and Tracktion Master Mix (my favorite).

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    Danjabellza likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.