Free DAWs?

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by Danjabellza, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I use Audacity for post work like tweaking the over all gain and fade outs, etc, great tool!

aux8, Danjabellza and blowtorch like this.
  2. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Yes! Audacity can cut/slice much more precisely than Reaper. It's also easier to do some quick "mastering". Quotes intended haha.

3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

whew, for a minute I thought no one liked/was using Audacity anymore, which is all I've ever used

Danjabellza likes this.
  4. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

Danjabellza and chulaivet1966 like this.
  5. chulaivet1966

chulaivet1966 Tele-Afflicted

OP....see above...that would be my suggestion.
    Try all the demo's offered and see which one has the interface and work flow that suits you.
    They all have their place among us recording song writers.

Good hunting.

Carry on....

Danjabellza likes this.
  6. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

I believe there is a ProTools Free available from Avid. The good thing is if you decide to move up to PT you get a very similar product.

Danjabellza likes this.
  7. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

If reaper is that great, I wouldn’t mind spending the $60, I’m just not at a stage in life where I can drop a couple hundred on a DAW. And really, I’d like something a little more user friendly that protools, I was able to make it work for a couple little projects with friends, but it was always kind of like stumbling around until something worked.

8. logans_tele

logans_tele Tele-Meister

As others have already said - Cakewalk (free) and Reaper (cheap) are very good DAWs with tons of users both amateur and professional.

Danjabellza likes this.
  9. stormin1155

stormin1155 Tele-Meister

If I were starting over I'd probably go with Reaper, but I started using Audacity a few years ago, and it does everything I need, so never really felt the need to go through a learning curve again with a new program.

10. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Holic

I have been using Traction for years and years, since back when it was a Mackie product. Very easy to use and very intuitive. No menus to bring up and everything you need is on one very uncluttered screen. Fast learning curve.

Pineears and Danjabellza like this.
  11. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

If you think you'd like Studio One, Splice.com does a rent to own... Really... And if you decide you don't want it anymore, you can just stop paying and it deactivates.

I bought Serum through them, and it's a nice way to get a higher end piece of software without having to pay all at once (and it's not marked up at all, either, for the installment plan).

https://splice.com/daws/38650984-studio-one-professional-by-presonus

12. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

User friendly is a very subjective thing, any DAW can be intuitive, or NOT.

Put 50 people in a room with any software, 20 will have no issues, 20 will have minor issues, 5 will struggle and another 5 will say it doesn't work and full of bugs.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    aux8, suthol, bgmacaw and 2 others like this.
  13. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

I’m flipping back and forth between Reaper and Traction, trying to switch to Reaper. I agree Traction seems very intuitive. Spent 30 min on Reaper this morning and the rest of the day on Traction.

howardlo likes this.
  14. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Ditto

https://www.audacityteam.org/

15. Peregrino69

Peregrino69 Tele-Afflicted

It is that great :) But then again, I'm sure Cakewalk is as well, it wouldn't have survived three decades if it wasn't. And Audacity, or it wouldn't have survived two decades. And and and :)

Like @T Prior says, the "ease of use" is a very subjective thing. Like with everything else, there's a learning curve.

Keeping that in mind the best advice is this:

Before even doing that, check the features of the applications - they're listed in the homepage. They all have just about the same capabilities, but as I said for example Reaper comes with a goodly amount of VST effects (it's like ProTools in that sense), while some other DAW might not. Then go to Youtube and search for <DAW name> basics or introduction to <DAW name>. You will find introductory videos that show you the interface, basic workflows and all that. Then give a test run to the one that seem most logical and comfortable to use.

16. Rolling Estonian

Rolling Estonian Friend of Leo's

Mixcraft is a great, truly underrated DAW. Great value for the amount you pay, it's $100 right now but you get a ton of vst and vsti, free loops and samples and Melodyne integration. Most people have either not heard of Mixcraft or think it's a beginner DAW, it's not, not by a long shot.

https://www.acoustica.com/mixcraft/mixcraft-pro-studio.html

M

Danjabellza likes this.
  17. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Reaper is not a cheap alternative that you "move up from." It is, as far as I'm concerned, the best, most full-featured, best supported, most innovative DAW that is available at any cost. And it is multi-platform.
    I've used most of them, and have been involved with music software since its inception, and Reaper is my favorite.
    Still, that said, they all work. And since the others have finally caught up to Reaper's 64 bit floating point mix bus (it took Pro Tools a decade to break free of 48 bit fixed... but, to be fair, it's not like you could really hear the difference...)) they all pretty much sound the same, too.
    But back to the point, Tracktion is pretty good (and with an interesting interface); between it and Sonar (Cakewalk) I'd probably choose Tracktion if absolutely free was necessary. (But that's because I owned Sonar: it was buggy as hell and drove me crazy... and Tracktion was pretty innovative in a lot of ways...)
    But Reaper is only $60...
    If you're a Mac owner, Logic is a pretty good deal as well. (Since Apple bought it from C-Lab and discontinued it on PC - Logic, like Cubase, was originally an Atari ST program - the computer itself is the dongle, so it's a good deal... but Apple is nowhere as good at music software as Dr. Gerhard Lengeling was...).
    The only drawback to Reaper is the name))

Danjabellza likes this.
  18. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Rapid Environment for Audio Production?

Sums it up nicely. I prefer it to all the other DAWs I've tried over the years. Don't even get me started on the crippled, always online, three track maximum, online storage only free versions of the very expensive "name" brands.

Peregrino69 likes this.
  19. JK202

JK202 TDPRI Member

Wow, thanks for all these great links Peregrino69 and others! As a noob, I've been scouring the InnerNets the last few days trying to familiarize with whats out there while awaiting my audio interface and mic. Definitely check out the comparisons of both those. There's a wealth of info out there. This forum has been particularly helpful to me. Multi grazie! Cheers and good luck to the OP.

JK

20. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I use Audacity most of the time for recording guitar. I've got several other free or "lite" versions of other DAWs but I go back to Audacity since it works well for me and I know it well.

For synth stuff I use Magix Acid Pro but that's a paid product.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.