Free BBQ at work!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by the_lyall, Sep 22, 2017.

1. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

Bring it on.

I had some leftover stir fry my wife made for breakfast yesterday. Tofu, red cabbage, onions, corn, black beans, red bell pepper. It was frickin awesome. As good as any bbq I've had.

2. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

You've had the wrong bbq.

superbadj likes this.
  3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

This tells me all I need to know.

Tofu is disgusting!

Sounds like you're trying to suggest that folks in Texas are slow. Honestly, people who want to grill, should call it what it is - stealing terms versus stealing money. Stealing is stealing, if you ask me.

4. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Friend of Leo's

It was sold to me as a barbecue . When I cook on it I barbecue. What do they sell them as in your country ? cookers? outdoor stoves ?

5. the_lyall

the_lyall Telepathetic

I didn't mean to start/dig up an old debate about what BBQ really is or what the right terminology is. I'm in the UK... We don't have traditional Carolina (or wherever) BBQ - we just have charcoal, fire, meat and that (to us) is a BBQ. Cooking food outside with fire? That's BBQ, end of story as far as we're concerned.

The main point here is that I was able to eat FREE freshly cooked meat at work :) which was the first time in my 14 years of working at the place.

Now that's out the way, you may continue arguing ;)

6. Mr Green Genes

Mr Green Genes Tele-Afflicted

Ah, but WE invented barbecue!

7. Mr Green Genes

Mr Green Genes Tele-Afflicted

Rose by any other name. Glad you had a good time!

the_lyall likes this.
  8. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I guess now that "literally" means figuratively, all bets are off.

9. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I think a couple of us got it from the very start...others? Not so much...:rolleyes:

WTF difference can it possibly make??? When someone sells you something called a Barbecue Grill it would make sense that you are permitted to call the things you cook on it Barbecue.

haggardfan1 likes this.
  10. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

You've had the wrong tofu.:lol:

I love brisket, beef ribs and whole hog. The rest of it I could take or leave.

11. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

You ignore the original error in your logic and assume that because the seller of a product, with the obvious incentive to slant for profit, has the dispositive word. Further, you ignore the fact that one of those units can be used in two ways (although not very well) for grilling and for cooking barbecue. Thing units like that are just OK for smoking, and then it is the warmer months. The do not have the insulation and many other superior features that purpose-built smoking units have.

12. william tele

"You ignore the original error in your logic and assume that because the seller of a product, with the obvious incentive to slant for profit, has the dispositive word."

I believe what you refer to as an "error" in my logic is actually an error on your part in recognizing the diverse vernacular associated with cooking.:D

And while we're discussing errors, you've made another in your assessment of what's necessary to smoke meat. A simple, Weber BBQ Grill is perfectly fine for producing delicious barbecued meat. I do it fairly often. I've perfected the intake and exhaust air settings to maintain 225, 250 and 275 degrees. The extra insulation of the "egg" type BBQ Grills comes into play in that it might save you some fuel and is beneficial if you want to bake something like pizza.

Now...if you want to cold smoke I agree that you need a separate smoke chamber so you can keep the temp down on your product.

(I honestly don't take this stuff as seriously as it sounds and if we were in the same room I would hope for an air of friendly cajoling and simulated contempt...:))

13. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Speaking of which, does anyone have any recommendations for a rig to smoke fish, duck and turkey in?

Much obliged. I'd be doing mostly fish.

14. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

I like smoking salmon in the Masterbilt electric smoker I have. The electric smokers do fish and cheese well, and thin meats (chickens, quail, ducks, game hens pretty well. My electric will make vegetables so smoky that you don't want to eat them, but it does not impart smoke flavors and rings into thicker cuts of meat as well. Accordingly, I like my Masterbilt electric, but do not love it. It complements when cooking a lot or for convenience.

Otherwise, it is hard to beat the Akorn insulated metal kamado for the price. It does well cooking anything for grilling purposes, or being choked down for smoking. One can by a 22" Weber grill grate and plate it beneath the cast iron main grate, and rest a foil wrapped pizza stone and water pan or pan of sand to catch drippings. It works like a more expensive plate setter in a Big Green Egg.

The Kamado Joe has a lot of desirable features at a higher price point than an Akorn, but less than BGE or Primos.

One can also go with one of those New Braunfels metal offset smokers at a fairly reasonable price.

boris bubbanov and william tele like this.
  15. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

In case I missed it (while I was ignoring the semantics debate) , please tell us what you had 4 of. Was it four burgers, four hotdogs, or better yet, some combination of those two?

This is important to me out of pure curiosity, and I've been wondering all weekend. I can eat 4 hot dogs without batting an eyelash; but 4 hamburgers might be a different level of accomplishment. :p

In any event, glad you enjoyed it and again thanks for letting us enjoy the meal vicariously. My employer buys our lunch fairly often, and it's always appreciated.

16. the_lyall

the_lyall Telepathetic

Ah yes, I didn't actually say. It was one burger (1/4lb I think) and three double hotdogs. Plus an extra sausage when they were clearing up...

I didn't eat dinner... :lol:

SolidSteak and haggardfan1 like this.
  17. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

More than impressive; you've made a lot of us very proud! :D

18. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

When I was a kid, my great-grand parents would throw a barbeque on one of the days that all the calves were brought in for branding. A fire pit would be started the night before and burnt down to coals and hot rocks. Early in the morning a half beef would be spitted and racked over the pit and a large metal box rolled into positon to cover it and keep in the smoke and low heat. The meat would slow cook/smoke for 12 hrs or more while the men folk worked in the corrals and the women worked on preparing the rest of the meal (with breaks to provide breakfast and lunch to the men). The younger kids got to take turns for the whole day turning the spit. When the time came, the beef was removed to rest and be cut up and dinner was served on long tables in the yard outside the ranch house.

That is barbeque. A burger on a grill is do it yourself fast food.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  19. daddyplaysbass

daddyplaysbass Tele-Holic

I Don't care what they call it, If it's $FR.EE this homeboy is all over it -- that's the right price.

SolidSteak likes this.
  20. william tele

Sounds like the little town I grew up in and familiar up to a point.

In my town we had The Farmer Rancher Banquet. They took a dozer and dug a hole about the size of a small basement. They pushed several trees in and let them burn down. Doze a little dirt, some corrugated sheet metal, several butchered beef halves, some more sheet metal and cover it with dirt. It seems like it was around 24 hours in the ground.

In the first place, back in those days beef was fat and good, but mostly it was the slow, oxygenless heat that made it melt in the mouth.

Good ol' days...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.