Free BBQ at work!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by the_lyall, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Vespa_One

Vespa_One Tele-Holic

Honey I'll be out back at the barbecue COOKOUTING (not barbecuing) hotdogs and hamburgers.

ANYTHING that goes inside a barbecue has been barbecued when you take it out. You can barbecue a shoe or a guitar pedal just as easily as a Texas porter house slab o whatever

2blue2 likes this.
  2. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I grew up in the Midwest. The word "barbque" (in any of it's catchy spellings) was second only to the word "cookout" when referring to the throwing of meat onto a metal grid over hot coals. We'd "grill" steaks and burgers, chicken, pork...but you wouldn't say "We had a grill" or "come to our grill". However, you can easily make something called barbque ON a grill as long as it's slow cooked.Now, most all across this nation nothing is really called barbque unless it involves wood smoke.

I would attend any BBQ that had burgers and dogs without any protest to the terminology! Lucky you!

3. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

speaking of barbecue, i had some (big) porkribs at a restaurant, it was the night where this was an all you can eat ribs night. The meat really got of the bone easy, like you don t need cutting the meat at all, and there was bbq sauce over them.

Is this the way you do them in the usa ? Because i don t mind a little barbecue sauce, but those ribs were drenched in it, and i when i buy some and cook them, the ribs are way smaller, and you need your knife ( or teeth) to get the meat of the bone.

I was wondering what kind of pig the ribs came from, some kind of razorback ?

[​IMG]

Or maybe when i buy them from the butcher they come from a way smaller pig.
    Anyway i liked the small ones better where you have to cut the meat of the bone.

4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

There's no such thing as a free BBQ.

Just ask the pig. :)

Or in this case, the cows, and the uh, hot dog animals.

Obsessed, william tele and the_lyall like this.
  5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Were they hamburgers or beefburgers?

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  6. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

The term BBQ has been well-corrupted and even as a southern purist I'll forgive our brothers in the UK for a little misuse.

Actually the word/term comes from the Spanish when they arrived in the Caribbean 500 years ago. They found the natives slow-cooking meats over smoke. The Spanish took the native word for this technique and spelled it ''barbacoa''.

What's funny is that where I come from, to be called BBQ it has be a part of a pig. The natives didn't have pigs, but the Spanish spread them everywhere they went back then. So the southern BBQ I know is part native, part imported Spanish pigs, and part modern southern culture.

We already have to forgive our friends in Texas for smoking beef brisket and calling it BBQ:)

titan uranus and SolidSteak like this.
  7. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

It sounds like the ribs you had were braised, not BBQ'ed. BBQ is different everywhere, but the way I do ribs, sauce is served on the side and the meat should still require at least a few teeth to eat.

8. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I like longpig for my BBQ

william tele and the_lyall like this.
  9. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

disgust.png

10. william tele

Yes...forgive them.

Then kiss them passionately before tearing up that brisket!:)

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  11. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

For us Q fanatics, BBQ is low temp and slow, for hours. And not directly over flames. It's off to the side of the heat.

What you do with hot dogs and burgers over flames is called grilling.

But that being said, even here in the states, most people refer to both as BBQ, even though they're wrong and should be punished for it.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  12. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

BBQ "participation" is like VOTING: do it often!

13. william tele

Ask, and the dark web will provide...

rib.jpg

14. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

yes they were not barbecued, but i d have liked my sauce on the side and make my own mix. But does the cooking have an effect on the tenderness ? The small ribs i bought, either on barbecue or in the oven, still required a knife.

15. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Not exactly the same (and apparently not "BBQ"), but my boss treated us all to lunch at the local, delicious, hamburgeria today. It was a rare and blissful occasion indeed! Glad to see bosses taken care of folks on both sides of the pond :)

Now I just gotta make it to 5pm without napping. . .

SolidSteak and the_lyall like this.
  16. SolidSteak

Yes, the cooking method is the main thing that has an effect on the tenderness (aside from the actual cut of meat of course). To generalize a bit: braised meat comes right off the bone, grilled meat usually needs a knife or a bun and some decent chewing, barbecue (in the sense of low and slow indirect cooking) or smoked meat is somewhere in between those two.

If you want to try your ribs a different way, here is my go-to source on grilling, smoking and barbecue:
    http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/

willhowl likes this.
  17. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

For pork, the long ribs are the spare ribs, the actual rib cage ribs. They can also be cut a little smaller, removing the ends with tendons. This is called St. Louis cut.

Those much smaller ribs that we call babybacks in the states are not really ribs...but they are, kind of:

They're the bones attached to the ends of the spareribs, and meet up on the spine, the back, of the pig.

Meat shouldn't pull right off the bone on any rib...that means they're overcooked and you burned away all tendon...but they should still be tender and easy to bite off. That "Meat falls right off the bone!" excitement is nonsense. You can only get this perfect combination by low temp and long cooking times, and some restaurants even have these low and slow units made for real barbecue.

But...

To most of us, you gotta use wood, often combined with LUMP charcoal, to make it real BBQ. It's that wood, combined with whatever dry rub they put on, which gives the meat its flavor. It's the MEAT you want to taste, which brings me to my final point:

Sauce on the SIDE for dipping only. That dish you had that was smothered with sauce might have tasted good, but all you're tasting is sauce and it's hiding the meat's real flavor.

Mind you, I only give this advice to a Frenchman when it comes to American style BBQ! Not any other aspects of the culinary arts!

And Ahhh...

Beef ribs are a glorious story of their own, and I prefer doing beef with mesquite wood over anything else.

SolidSteak likes this.
  18. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

Alright. what is braised actually ? I get the long slow cooking, we don t really do that here except to smoke meat, otherwise it s charcoal in the barbecue and you cook them on there the time it takes.

I was mistaken because braise in france is the red hot coal on which you cook meat. I ll check your link once i m home and try the various cooking thingies.

19. SolidSteak

Sorry, I should have been more specific: braised ribs (which I have also done before) usually involves wrapping them in foil, adding some liquid, and cooking them in the oven at like 250-300F. Sometimes people pull them out of the oven and finish them over direct heat like coals or gas. It can turn out pretty good sometimes, but in my experience it usually ends up the way you described the ribs you ate; it basically stews the meat right off the bone.

20. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

Jeez ... now can i be a part of your BBQ cult ! :)

Thanks for the explanations, I ve got to agree, the barbecue sauce was a little too much. But i don t get what woods and lump coals are ...

we ve got woods, but some of them when lit on fire are toxic, as for the lump coal.... never heard about that. We ve got coals and that s it .

We don t use thermometers, we just make a fire, put the meat on the grill, and pray for the best.

But it s good to have advice, i don t have a smoker, so my way of barbecuing stuffs might differ from your experience.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.