Free 2 day shipping gone ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Wyzsard, Sep 19, 2021.

1. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

Today I noticed that all the sites that used to offer free two-day shipping don't advertise it now. Free still, but no 2 day.

For example zZounds "get it by" quotes are now more like 10 days.

Shipping rates from FedEx, UPS, etc. must have increased ?

Heck, if I have to wait that long moving forward, I'll let a local shop order whatever I need.

Plus I can make sure it wasn't damaged in shipping. If it is, the shop can deal with it.

2. twangking

twangking Friend of Leo's

I don't really buy much and I'm not bothered if it does come in 10 days.

howardlo, Deeve and nojazzhere like this.
  3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

This is kinda funny......
    Some of us "ancient" consumers remember when we'd order something, either by phone or by mail, and have to wait two or three WEEKS for delivery. Then some places (mostly Amazon) could do next day or two day, and we got spoiled. Now (for whatever reason...and I don't want to go there) it may take 3,4,5 days, or a week, and we get upset.....and want to take our ball and go home in a huff.
    I wish I had a "local shop" that could fill the gap, but in most instances, a local merchant won't carry what I want, won't order it if they can, and want to charge higher prices, with little benefit or service.
    I still get next or two day delivery (free) at Amazon, with free returns if I don't like the item, AND (almost most important) I can browse a huge selection to make my choice. Face it....we've never had it so good! ;)

howardlo, Toto'sDad, Jakedog and 6 others like this.
  4. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

those days are gone, at least in Montana. Even with Prime, delivery dates are at least a week out for most stuff. A message from the heavens to drop Prime and quit buying stuff!

5. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

Just went to the site and searched "roland jc-22 jazz chorus", which is what my next purchase will be. No hits except amp covers. Did show the JC-40, but that's not what I searched.
    Anyhow I looked at a couple of items and none of them said Free two day shipping.

I believe you when you say it has worked for you but unless you've ordered in the last week or so even Amazon may have changed.

Again, talking free two day. Not upgrade options.

nojazzhere likes this.
  6. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

I may just call one of the big box gear outfits and just ask why no more free 2-day.

It's gotta be across the board shipping rate increases.

Used prices used to be a no-brainer but the way they are now, screw it. The local cl is getting ridiculous.

nojazzhere and TomBrokaw like this.
  7. Dostradamas

Dostradamas Tele-Meister

The global shipping situation has changed very little.

Another few years it may work itself out.

When you stop a global sized machine that took decades to get up to speed, it will take years (maybe decades) to get it up to speed again.

Piggy Stu, Buell, Midgetje94 and 2 others like this.
  8. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

I’m still getting free 2-day and frequently 1-day (like today’s order that’s coming tomorrow) as long as it’s a “prime” item.

GeneB and nojazzhere like this.
  9. nojazzhere

I just (two days ago) ordered on Amazon a replacement patio umbrella.....delivered "next day". A pole chain saw ordered Friday is due tomorrow....so, three days.....we'll see.
    My next two musical items I "may" order.....a Bose L1 PA, Amazon has and says 4-5 day delivery.....and a used Fender ToneMaster Deluxe Reverb, have to get through Guitar Center or Musician's Friend, so, whatever their time-frame is. We do have a big Amazon warehouse somewhere in the area.
    BTW... I looked at and considered the JC-22......looks like a really cool amp. ;)

Wyzsard likes this.
  10. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

This is why I'm unusually patient with computers and shipping

Im not as old but but like you say even not that long ago 15-20 years buying something on eBay/or catalogue could take weeks to a month

And for the younger folks I still remember dial up that would take forever, and when video on computers came about it could take an hour to load

I think it’s funny when the younger generation gets furious when their electronics don’t respond immediately

howardlo, Buell and nojazzhere like this.
  11. nojazzhere

Sometimes you sound "wise" beyond your years, Fretting out. ;)

Buell and Fretting out like this.
  12. DFB1

DFB1 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I ordered a THR5 from Amazon.
    One week wait.
    It was picked up in Baltimore on the 16th by UPS. There is no tracking info besides the pickup.

Prime is not worth it for the shipping.
    I only keep it for Prime Video.

Piggy Stu likes this.
  13. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

As @KC mentions, two day is long gone up here, but the fact that they come all the way out here for free, they can take their time. FedEx is actually driving up our rocky steep bumpy road on Sundays with their spiffy Mercedes 4WD vans now.o_O Sometimes to the wrong address though.:lol: I think they rely on GPS to find us.:lol::lol::lol:

nojazzhere likes this.
  14. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

I can't get a Pony Express rider, a postal truck driver, any friend with a SUV, stranger using uber, or SPACEX vehicle to deliver my stuff any faster. I'm taking what they are giving for free. I appreciate it also. If I want something different I understand I might have to up my ante. Sign of the times.

Buell, nojazzhere and dougstrum like this.
  15. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

I got a new potato masher overnight from Amazon Prime. Even packed in a cardboard box. I guess the important stuff still gets priority.

nojazzhere likes this.
  16. nojazzhere

I bet that "potato masher" box coulda held a queen-size mattress, too!.

17. Chester P Squier

Chester P Squier Tele-Afflicted

I suspect some of the recent shipping issues have been caused by the hurricanes. Things are not normal here yet and the storm hit on August 29 of this year.

I’m posting from my phone. Internet went back down.

18. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Friend of Leo's

Shipping costs are way up. Try shipping something yourself. Sure, large companies get breaks but smaller ones get only a minor break. Everyone is paying more.

Added to that: everything is dimensional weight now unless it's a USPS bargain rate. Everything. It used to be that only really large packages were charged the dimensional rate, but now everything is. So a 12x16x12 box has a minimum charge of the 16 lb rate. Sending something light for short money is no longer an option.

Free options that are expensive like 2-day will probably be fading away. FYI - Prime is not a "free" option, they just charge you up front for a lot of shipping. If you buy enough, eventually it pays back. (Oh, yeah, and you get a movie channel subscription but every movie you actually want to watch will be at least $3 to see).

nojazzhere likes this.
  19. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

20210309_130618.jpg

nojazzhere likes this.
  20. Harbinger77

Harbinger77 Tele-Meister

Isn’t it fascinating that people in Western society can nitpick over the modern miracle that is e-commerce to the extent that they can completely overlook the MASSIVE amount of time and effort they used to expend blindly and quite often fruitlessly searching for items in brick and mortar stores?

howardlo, FuncleManson and nojazzhere like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.