1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Freddie King "Pulp Wood"

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by srblue5, Oct 27, 2020.

1. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Meister

I love Freddie King but, for some reason, I go for long periods of time without listening to him. When I first discovered him, I didn't quite get him (especially compared to Albert King, who was my favourite of the Kings of the Blues back then) but then I discovered an album he did called Burglar, which is pretty awesome and did a lot to make me get hip to Freddie. My favourite track from Burglar is an instrumental, "Pulp Wood".

His tone and playing are stellar and, to paraphrase Muddy Waters, the band is "tight as frog booty". I especially love the shifts in the tempo/feel -- shoutout to Steve Ferrone for funky drums on that one.

2. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

If you've not heard this before ... just pass through the 1st minute for it to really begin ....

srblue5 and tubegeek like this.
  3. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Afflicted

I love Freddy King, but much prefer his earlier stuff, like Freddy King Sings and Hideaway.

JRapp and srblue5 like this.
  4. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Meister

Generally, I like the older stuff too. I find some of the later Shelter Records era material to be weak in terms of songwriting and arrangements (sometimes including multiple drummers plodding along to a generic blues-rock beat). However, I do enjoy Burglar (which came after the Shelter era and was released on RSO Records) a lot. Makes me wonder what else Freddie would have done had he lived longer.

Bellacaster likes this.
  5. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Meister

I also like some of the early Shelter stuff, but later I think some of those 'influences' were to his detriment. But I can't fault him for wanting to make some $$$ for his family.

6. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

What hurricane of a man. I like everything I've heard but there's a ton I still haven't.

7. donrichfan

donrichfan Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

So friggin' good... Love it.

8. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

The Shelter Records , Leon Russell stuff was my favorite. Such a great mix and well arranged songs.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  9. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

His backing musicians on the Shelter stuff are what dreams are made of. The RSO material is weak.

10. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Meister

True, true. I feel that way about some of the comeback recordings by Buddy Guy and John Lee Hooker. Still, everybody's gotta eat, right?

11. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Meister

It's like the Wes/Benson pop stuff---those guys didn't have to prove anything to anybody as far as their abilities. But I'm sure Wes liked not having to work a shift at the factory anymore to feed his family. Likewise, Freddie could play festivals, sell albums, and make some $$$ instead of one-nighters on the chitlin circuit.

12. Tommyd55

Tommyd55 Tele-Holic

I had the pleasure of seeing Freddie play live at the Armadillo World Headquarters in Austin Texas back in the early 70's. Maybe BrookdaleBill saw him too as it is obvious we had some similar experiences back in the day.
    Freddie put on a Show.. There weren't no seats in the place, maybe a few around the edges.. Everyone was dancing around and smoking joints and drinkin Lone Star Beer and Freddie and the band were up there smoking hot.. They rolled from one song into the next with jams in between.. It was one of those really glorious nights .. Looks like pretty much the same band..
    I never understood why he didn't do a live album from there.. It was nothing like you are seeing in these vids with everyone in the audience sitting around on their hands..
    Oh and the dude at the beginning with the funny looking hat, it's an armadillo , was Jim Franklin I believe.. He kinda started it all at AWHQ.
    Freddie rocked the house..

srblue5 likes this.
  13. skydog6653

skydog6653 Tele-Meister

I got to meet Freddie backstage when he played the Sunken Gardens in San Antonio's Brackenridge Park, 1972. What a gracious, down home man. The Texas Cannonball

Tommyd55 likes this.
  14. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Meister

That's awesome! I bet he put on quite a show.

Years ago, I bought a posthumously released live recording of Freddie King called Live at the Electric Ballroom, 1974. I don't know if the performance captured on that record matches up to the show you saw, though. Still some great playing on there!

15. Tommyd55

Tommyd55 Tele-Holic

Yeah, It seems like most videos of Freddie were done in settings like most in this thread where everyone is sitting around tables being all nice and all. I guess that's just the kind of places he was booked into in Europe where it seems most of the vids of him were shot.
    It wasn't like that at all at the Armadillo.. They always claimed the only place that sold more Lone Star Beer then they did was the Houston Astrodome.. And Lone Star beer kinda sucked..lol

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.