1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Framus Sorella

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by d barham, Oct 23, 2020.

1. d barham

d barham Tele-Holic

94A25A00-2B59-4933-92EC-EF9DF900926B.jpeg 789850B5-1735-437A-8AE5-59C15CF7C40B.jpeg Late sixties Sorella. Decent shape, original hard shell case. Missing a tuning ferrule. (Why?)

It’s not mine, belongs to a friend who brought it over to the house to try to get me interested in buying it.

Having a rough time getting interested, although buying guitars is one of my favorite things to do, and he could use the money.

So tell me, what can one do with a Framus Sorella that would push me into ownership? 8F8622D7-05D7-4A88-97BD-30E70C4F7753.jpeg

FenderGyrl likes this.
  2. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Afflicted

I have a Fret Jet which is a 335 alike of the same era. It's a cool guitar but quirky - those metal Framus pickups that look a bit like Burns Trisonics are really unique sounding pickups though.

As acoustic archtops go, most of those old German plywood guitars tend to sound rather thin so they're ok for percussive rhythm but not wonderfully inspiring as a more general acoustic. I've owned four or five Hofner Senators and Congresses over the years, each time I got seduced by how it looked and then realised I never played it because I hate the sound. Someone offered me one the other month, I found myself thinking well hey, it's a good price and it looks great... I managed to turn it down but it was a close one! I have an old 40s Epiphone now which wipes the floor with any of those Hofners I had.

The necks on Framus usually have a very distinctive feel as well, big and clumpy. I quite like them but they're not for everyone.

So I think personally they're a really cool piece of history and very evocative of the era they're from so they are cool things to have around if you're into that sort of thing and have the room, but there are probably better ways to spend money on guitars if it's viewed from a player's point of view.

If it's really cheap you could stick a nice floating pickup on it and use it as an electric. I've also put piezos into archtops before and used them as stage friendly acoustics - I hate the feel of a flat top on a strap and archtops seem to work better for me in that context.

d barham likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.