Fralin vs. Lollar

pedrohead

TDPRI Member
What pots and cap worked for you?
I tried between 250/500/1k, and landed at 500 for the volume, 250 for pot, and removed the neck pickup from the tone pot. Didn't mess with the cap at all, left that stock (I don't use the tone pot very much anyway).

Between the low end/resonance naturally of the guitar, and the Mastery seems to mellow out the top end a little bit (but adds some mass and "girth" in the low wend), that was a good mix.

Bruxist

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Due to frantic hysteria over pickups I virtually never buy brand new.
Tons and tons of fine used pickups available.
Well OK i bought three Guitar Madness Firebird pickups for $18 each shipped but otherwise I've bought literally hundreds of used pickups.
Sorry, I bought some new Duncan and Dimarzio around 1980 when it was hard to find used pickups.
Anyhow, I had Fralin rewind some Tele bridge pickups and their shop was great to deal with. Bought a few Fralins used too.

Same, either here or at Music-Go-Round which used to have a constantly revolving stock of Seymour Duncan humbuckers for $40 each. Usually uncovered, but there is an easy fix for that, if you want it covered.

Seems like they are not selling that cheap any more.

Buffalo0993

Tele-Afflicted
Ive tried several of both and i always favor Fralin for sound. Theres something in the mids in all of them that i just really like. Wheras all the Lollars ive tried just sound kind of flat to me.

The only Lollar i liked was the J-Street bridge.

Ronkirn

Doctor of Teleocity
Both Lindy and Jason have been around, making excellent pickups since there were only a relatively few doing so... picking between the two would be much like picking between a Ferrari and a Lamborghini... both are superb, and you can't loose with either....