1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fralin Split for Tele

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Twang Guitars, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Twang Guitars

Twang Guitars Tele-Meister

Has anybody tried the Fralin Split pickups for tele? Would appreciate your comments.
    Thanks,
    Jon

2. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

I'm also interested in these but there are not many reviews thus far. I'm sure they sound toneful, Lindy has a great rep and there's also a youtube video you can check out.

3. BWNadeau

BWNadeau Tele-Afflicted

Yup - I love the sound of the neck pickup on the youtube vid. No experience with them either though.:oops:

4. phillip lee

phillip lee TDPRI Member

I use the 50/50 Blues Specials on my chambered Tele build. The neck pickup is the BEST Tele neck pickup I have ever encountered. I'm not just saying this cause I own them, I have heard and own a lot of Tele configurations. With 10 nickles it has a deeper sound than stock with a certain ring, with flatwounds you can get into Gretsch/Gibson territory. I had this set on a solidbody cheapo before moving them to a more worthy build and they really brought it to life.
    The bridge is my favorite Fralin Tele pickup. But it may not be everyones cup of tea. EAD can really get the Beatles vibe which I like, a deeper sound than most stock Tele pickups. The higher strings have no icepick and you will have a hard time inducing it, more a strong mellow (is that possible?) clarity. Sorry, hard for me to describe sound.
    With a maple neck/body (current configuration) with steel saddles the brightness is balanced with the bass strings. In the rosewood fingerboard solid body with brass saddles they were darker, more soulfull.
    Finally, I loaned my Tele to a friend in exchange for his HWY 1 for a potential trade. He called me excited as all get out wanting to trade, even after setting his up with new strings and raising the pickups, I was glad to get mine back!
    (Specs Fralin 50/50 alnico 3 and 5 magnet stagger Blues Specials with Rothstein wiring harness Musicap capacitor stock bridge with stainless saddles delrin nut maple neck.fingerboard on Neville chambered maple body).

5. Furbtank

Furbtank TDPRI Member

I recently purchased the vintage output split blades for my tele and I am quite disappointed. MAYBE I got a dodgy set but I can not bend the D or G strings without the output dropping significantly. ie: bend the D string down the fretboard towards the split and it disappears. Same with bending the G string up the fretboard. This is much more obvious on the neck pickup as the strings are moving a further distance.When striking each string individually the D and G strings have a slightly less output than the other strings.

Anyone have any advice? I purchased the pickups through ebay so I'm not sure how helpful Fralin would be in my case.

Cheers.

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  6. kingpinboogie

kingpinboogie TDPRI Member

Splitsville

Got a used Fralin Split-Blade and put in my Esquire. Unbelievably good- warm, clear, but w/ twang, too. Just ordered a set for one of my Teles (not the one on my avatar- she's perfect!). I'll report back when I have it installed nest week.

7. z.cartman

z.cartman TDPRI Member

What value pots do you use?

8. teleturner

teleturner TDPRI Member

Fralin Split pickup

No Twang! Don't get em! Dull! I already have a post on these somewhere. I like Fralins other pickups, but not these. Probably good for rockers but definitely not for country. Also, you have to be sure to get the right radius pickup for your neck radius. Thats why some have the note drop out. I didn't have this problem and I don't want to put 500ks in my tele when Bardens don't require this mod. Fralin makes great pickups, but he needs to go back to the drawing board on the splits.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.