Fralin neck position - blues special or vintage hot? - tele

ryandfl

NEW MEMBER!
I picked up my first tele a little while ago, a really great playing and sounding American pro ii in which the previous owner installed Fralin blues special pickups.

The blues special bridge is fantastic. The neck is a little dark and at first I didn’t like it too much but it has grown on me a good bit.

While thinking the neck pu should be swapped I ordered a Fralin vintage hot. And now I’m not sure if I want to install it.

I initially got it for a brighter neck sound and some more glassy type tones. The blue special is kind of rocking and darker but balances pretty well with the bridge. I am not sure how the vintage hot neck would balance with the bridge blue special.

So any input appreciated.

pbenn

Tele-Afflicted
Maybe try dropping the bass side of the Neck a 1/2 turn of the screw. One test is to get little E and big E the same in volume.

If your height screws are into wood you go one way, if in pick-guard/hung they go the other.

Killing Floor

Doctor of Teleocity
His Tele stock is still really hot. Great pickup. Tell him your neck radius and he may advise a non standard stagger. You won’t be sorry.

Tricone

Tele-Afflicted
The Blues Specials are based on SRV "blues rock" tones. That is the darker, more fundamental tone you refer to hearing.

The Vintage Hot won't give the thick tone of the BP but could sound louder than the BP.

Fralin usually matches the set, I would leave the BP in the neck and get a Steel Pole 42 for the bridge.

birv2

Tele-Afflicted
I've got a hot vintage in the bridge and love it. For my neck pickup though, I'm a huge fan of the Jim Weider Big T. It's got lots of bright as well as pretty "strong" without being muddy at all. The 2 make a great combo.

Elwood Telly

TDPRI Member
I had a pair of Lindy's SP-42 and loved them truly. As a Finn - next to Sweden - I'd like to bring in Lundgren Vertigo-pair. Neck is alnico-V and bridge alnico-III. When it comes to neck pickup being "glassy" and still not too bright, I think it's one of the best neck pickups out there. There're lots of fine bridge pickups around - but the challenge is how to make a fine neck pickup... My personal favorite (besides Vertigo) is Lollar's Royal-T, which is little "Stratty". On my '60s style part-o-Tele with alder body it really brings it home.

Maybe it's not a good idea to mix pickups of various manufacturers, but you'll never know. Johan Lundgren runs his business in town called Jönköping, in mid-southern Sweden. There's quite a variety of all kind vintage-spirited pu's to 7-string humbuckers. Johan loves Tom Petty too - so he just can't be bad person...😉
Three good "L"s - Lollar, Lindy & Lundgren (yes, it's little illogical...)

Last edited: