Fractal AXE-FX-III ~ thinking about these, anyone here using one?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by DHart, Feb 20, 2019.

1. dptele

dptele TDPRI Member

THANK YOU! I've never heard of this one before and there is a free 15 day demo version I can try which is great!

2. OldGuy6873

OldGuy6873 Tele-Holic

I had an Axe Fx II for almost a decade and loved it. If you are interested in modeling technology, I can't say enough about the Fractal products. I would highly recommend spending some time on the Fractal Forums. Amazing people there, and very willing to help.

Here's the thing, though. The learning curve is steep, but worth it. It requires some time, some patience, and a willingness to tweak to get your sound.

Ultimately, that's why I got rid of mine. I was tweaking too much searching for "it". I was too busy with life, wasn't recording nearly as much as I had been, and just wanted to plug in and play. So I went back to amps and pedals.

DHart likes this.
  3. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

If using the product is not fairly straight forward and quick to work with... I would agree. I don't want to need a tech to make it all work for me.

4. SASouth

SASouth Tele-Meister

You don’t. The III is fantastic and not hard to use at all.

I’ve owned the AX8, still own a II XL+, and now a III. While the AX8 and the II XL+ are great, the III blows them out of the water.

DHart likes this.
  5. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Thanks for the input SAS. Do you find the III significantly more 'user-friendly' than previous versions?

6. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

I don't have one but this does some amazing sounds.

DHart likes this.
  7. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Oh yeah! Thanks for that. And I can imagine that there are a heck of a lot more amazing sounds that can be created - trumpet, perhaps?

8. SASouth

SASouth Tele-Meister

The front panel on the Axe-Fx III is much more friendly than the II or the AX8. Not hard to use and understand at all.

Not that the II was all that hard to use; it really isn't. The one I really didn't like to use was the AX8. I didn't find it to particularly easy navigate. The sound was glorious, however. It was my gateway to move up to the II XL+ and then the III when it came out

In my opinion Axe-Edit is still the best way to create and manage presets. Very visual and easy to use. Everything you need is right there and it has the advantage of making use of your larger laptop or desktop screen.

I use the front panel for some things, most of the time I just use Axe-Edit III. It's just as fast and I don't have to hunch over the smaller screen of the III.

Either way you go with Fractal you're getting the best Pre-amp/Modeler made. There's a lot of debate about this, of course. I will tell you that after I got my first Fractal unit and my FRFR powered speaker I sold my Deluxe Reverb, AC-15, and Gibson Scout; basically all of my amps.

9. OldGuy6873

OldGuy6873 Tele-Holic

Not really sure I agree with the "it's easy to use" people.

The first thing to understand is that factory presets will need tweaking for your rig. If you plan on using a guitar cab with a PA, it is likely you will have to turn off the IRs and then retweak with your rig specifically.

The easiest way to get along with the Axe Fx products is to find an amp you like the sound of, and then start with a blank slate of that amp. Same with the IRs.

If you are used to "set it and forget" modelers are not for you. It takes time and patience to get your sound.

10. SASouth

SASouth Tele-Meister

I don't quite agree with this last statement. You don't have to go into deep editing of all the parameters to get a good sound. They are there if you want to use them. I for one rarely do. Tweakers are going to tweak. It's not required.

Even the factory presets sound good into an FRFR speaker or FOH. If you want dialed in presets you can always buy the AustinBuddy presets. They are a great way to start learning how to construct a good sounding preset.

The best way to use an Axe-Fx is to use an FRFR and/or go FOH. Using a guitar cab will color your sound. So if your goal is to have an accurate model of any particular amp in the Axe-Fx you should not be using a guitar cab.

OldGuy6873 likes this.
  11. Miseria

Miseria TDPRI Member

totally second this. I had the Ax 8 and currently have the III. Both are super easy to use IF you use the Axe Edit software. The Ax III is pretty easy to use standalone as well (AX8 is a PAIN without the software).

IMO the only downside is there are SO many awesome amp models to play with that you can really go down the rabbit hole and lose a ton of time just geeking out. My advice would be to get a couple well presets you like (from the awesome community there or even the factory presets) and just play with the basic adjustments until you're comfortable.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    DHart and SASouth like this.
  12. SASouth

SASouth Tele-Meister

Not really a downside for me. I love rabbit holes and geeking out.:D

DHart and Miseria like this.
  13. Miseria

Miseria TDPRI Member

Oh me too - only reason I list it as a possible "bad thing" is I end up using all my practice time on geeking out instead of actually practicing.

14. SASouth

SASouth Tele-Meister

:lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.