Fractal anyone?

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by msmith886, Oct 8, 2017.

1. msmith886

msmith886 TDPRI Member

Anyone out there use Fractal Audio?

dotpc likes this.
  2. cblguy

cblguy Tele-Meister

I don't know what that is, but sounds interesting...enlighten me.

3. msmith886

msmith886 TDPRI Member

It is an amp molder and effects. I use an AX8 and love it. Just seeing if anyone out there uses Fractal Axe Effects or AX8?

dotpc likes this.
  4. sonofiam

sonofiam Tele-Meister

I have both the FX8 and AX8. I've been using the AX8 recently into the front of a Brunetti Pleximan and mic'd cabinet. I'm using the AX8's amp models as well as effects and going into the front of the amp gives me the feel I like from my amps on stage and more consistent tone to the PA week in and week out. The FX8 is a great unit as well, I've had and used it live for almost 2 years and it's now part of my stereo rig for bigger gigs. I have no regrets with either purchase, they both live up to the hype and then some.

dotpc likes this.
  5. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

nice toys, one day when Im rich and famous I will own them

6. htwheelz67

htwheelz67 Tele-Meister

I've been using Fractal for 7 years, I have the axe fx ultra and the axe fx 2, I still use the ultra for gigs the 2 in my studio, I've rarely touched an amp since like maybe twice, sold off most of my amps. from the first day plugging in my ultra I was so blown away I couldn't believe it. First time I gigged with it I had dozens of people coming up to me telling me how great my tone was, that never happened with amps. The Axe 2 is even better but I spent too much time perfecting my ultra for live I can't get rid of it. Best pieces of equipment I have ever bought in 44 years of playing......period. Don't let price scare you, you can find ultras now for as cheap as 800-900 usually a bit more though, I bought my axe 2 mk 2 and controller for 2k off CL if I can let loose of my ultra I will replace it with an AXE 8 for all in one portability

lewis likes this.
  7. beexter

beexter Tele-Meister

I purchased an AX8 earlier this year and haven't looked back. It is an incredible piece of kit.
    I also own a couple of decent tube heads (original Orange Rocker 30 and a Mesa Express 5:25+) along with some quality pedals and since getting the AX8, I've hardly switched them on.
    I run it direct to the board and use a Yamaha DXR10 as my personal monitor and the sounds, feel, convenience and flexibility are fantastic. So much so, I haven't gigged with anything else since getting it.

Doug 54 likes this.
  8. Allthesound

Allthesound Tele-Afflicted

I had a Axe FX II Xl for a while , it was outstanding!

9. SASouth

SASouth Tele-Meister

I have an AX8. I sold all of my amps. What does that say? It’s an absolutely fabulous product.

I’ve used multi-effects and modllers for years. I’ve owned a GSP-2101, a GT-3, a GT-6, a GT-8, a Pod-XT, and Zoom units, etc. None of them ever were good enough to make me give up my tube amps. An AX8 and an FRFR speaker finally accomplished what none of those others could do.

If you’re looking to buy now is the time. Fractal is having a huge sale.

10. FrontPU

FrontPU Tele-Holic

So far I don't have or know any reason to go farther than Boss GT-100...:rolleyes::p
    Maybe I need to know better about them.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  11. SASouth

SASouth Tele-Meister

There’s no comparison in sound quality. Plus, after sales support from Boss is terrible. It took them 6 months to fix an incompatibility between their Boss Tone Studio and MacOS Sierra. Heck, it took them a month to even admit there was a problem and from then on there was very little communication after that. Don’t get me started on BOSS’s nonexistent firmware updates. Wait until they bring out their newest unit and watch any and all updates stop dead in their tracks. If you’re a Boss owner you should know what I’m talking about.

Fractal is more expensive but it’s money well spent. Their support is fantastic and they listen. They are constantly improving the platform through firmware updates and updates to AX8Edit and other tools. I’ve owned the unit for 6 months and have already seen updates to firmware giving me a new drive pedal, improved delays, and a updated speaker compression algorithm that improved the amp blocks over and above what were already great sounding amp sims.

Ongoing support is not just limited to their current offerings either. Earlier versions of their Axe FX lines still receive updates just like the current models.

All of this may sound like fanboyism but every word I that I say is true. You won’t be disappointed.

12. FrontPU

FrontPU Tele-Holic

Thanks for the reply.

I'd respect your own taste and ears, but I can't agree.
    The factory default/preset sound on Boss is not useable for me, but you can tweak.
    If not, players like Johnny Marr wouldn't use it.

This kind of thing is all based on individual experiences. I know the contrary happened on my friend with Fractal though I was happy with both F & B.

I sold both my AX8 and my GT-100 because was not so much impressed by them. Then went to Kemper and it eventually made me re-think about 'real' tube amps and some old pedals I bought decades ago.
    But I'm now considering to buy GT-100 again, because it's really easy for me to use and the cost performance is wonderful compared to all others I have tried.

However still am interested in the topic of this thread because I owned those multi effectors for less than a year; might be too short to the decision/conclusion considering what they can do. Thanks again for your post, it is helpful.

13. SASouth

SASouth Tele-Meister

The key to using any high end modeling solution is to use a FRFR speaker. Using a guitar amp or cab in front of the AX8 colors the sound and doesn’t let the true character of the amp being modeled come out.

14. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

This is very true, but it's also the biggest hurdle that many people have to overcome if they're used to hearing themselves through a traditional guitar cab-it's a very different experience.

15. htwheelz67

htwheelz67 Tele-Meister

Try a Friedman ASC12 its got the cab in the room sound, I just got one but before that I built my own what looks like a 4x12 cab but really 2 woofers, 2 tweeters and 2 550 watt power amps and it still sounds killer.

16. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have a powered Kemper. When I'm going for "amp in the room" I turn off the cab block in the KPA and plug it into a 4x12. :) Most of the time I use a pair of QSC K10s though, as I have most of my profiles dialed in for those speakers and I'm completely comfortable using them.

17. Sean_D

Sean_D Tele-Meister

I've had my AX8 for just about a year, and I am seriously considering selling my Mesa Roadster. I never play the amp anymore, just the AX8. The updates are awesome... Every time one comes out I feel like I just bought new toys without the hit on the bank account.

18. SASouth

SASouth Tele-Meister

I did exactly what you’re thinking about. After getting my AX8 I sold my Deluxe Reverb, an AC-15C1, a vintage ‘60s Gibson Scout, and my ‘73 Fender Champ. I don’t miss them one bit because with my AX8 I really still have access to all the same tones.

19. Sean_D

Sean_D Tele-Meister

The only thing that's stopping me is the Mesa is the amp I have dreamed of owning my whole playing career. I was soooo happy the day I brought that amp home, and I fear I'll want to cry the day I watch it get hauled off.

20. SASouth

SASouth Tele-Meister

I get it. But if it’s just sitting why not turn it in to cash and get yourself a nice FRFR powered speaker. :)

BTW, have you tried the Austin Buddy presets? If not, I’d encourage you to spend the money to get them. The presets are every amp and its cab all dialed in and ready to tweak with whatever effects you care to add. A great time saver and the sound fantastic.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.