FPD! (Finished Partcaster Day) and Classic Vibe Custom Part 2

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by whoanelly15, Apr 19, 2020.

1. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Afflicted

Part 1 - https://www.tdpri.com/threads/ngd-classic-vibe-custom-part-1.939733/

Some of you are aware of the troubles I had with this project - won’t even bring that up here, but want to thank all of those who took the time to share their knowledge, expertise and enthusiasm as I problem-solved my way through this. In the end, I have an absolutely FANTASTIC playing guitar, that is now done and - as of today - joins a very happy guitar family. Seriously though, I love this place and if it weren’t for the many lifetimes’ of know-how here, I wouldn’t have even taken this on. Anyways, on to the good stuff...
    7F86BCB4-D4A6-4C74-AFC2-AEE68F9DB494.jpeg
    4B7E0F3A-F9CB-488C-BA07-DB500EDB446B.jpeg
    E8FB4B9E-D0DE-4212-88E1-843D9AA86C1E.jpeg
    E3F34E1C-0D5B-403A-9796-E18ECF13967D.jpeg
    8B2A2BAC-FEF6-4A30-B627-D92D57953B04.jpeg
    3D9D53CF-FA78-446E-9137-8AA5ED4E6209.jpeg
    (Pictured here with my 59 slab board thin skin Strat. Not pictured - avatar guitars - AV64 Tele and Lacquer 60’s Jag... I think I have the pre-CBS rosewood era tributes pretty well covered. Those two are at my jam-space with my Orange amp.)

Squier CVC body and saddles remain. The neck on the original was too thin for me, but I always wanted a 59-62 style custom. So, we’ve got an Allparts slab board neck with a satin nitro finish, c-shape, about the same profile and thickness as my 60’s Jag, except with 9.5” radius and slightly taller than vintage frets (my happy place). Sold the other neck to fund the allparts one. Also sold the other pickguard with pickups and all the other hardware in a package deal to fund the electronics - 4-way switching, 60’s spec pots, and @Bootstrap Palo Duro pickups, which are RW/RP and are all they were reported to be - full, balanced, articulate and responsive. REALLY loving them and are every bit as good as the 64’s in my other Tele, just in their own way.

The neck pocket was perfect and the allparts neck fit really nice and tight. The thing really vibrates when playing unplugged, even with the thick poly on the body (which has a stunning grain pattern/match and is just a two-piece, as best as I can tell). Really pleased with how it came out and to have learned so much, even the pitfalls along the way. Thanks again!

Bootstrap, JL_LI, Censport and 8 others like this.
  2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Looks great!

whoanelly15 likes this.
  3. Gardo

Gardo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That binding really gives a great accent . Nice

whoanelly15 likes this.
  4. tintag27

tintag27 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Gorgeous - a classic colour scheme!

whoanelly15 likes this.
  5. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Very sweet, enjoy!

whoanelly15 likes this.
  6. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Afflicted

Nice work! Congratulations.

whoanelly15 likes this.
  7. whoanelly15

Thanks, gang! For less than $500, this thing plays now and sounds as good as any guitar can. Couldn’t be happier. The next project will be a 50’s style parts strat. Later this year or next.

lewis and Gardo like this.
  8. whoanelly15

To be more specific, it’ll be an early 59 tribute. Some TBD finish over a 3TS, but with maple board. Already have a 3-way switch and the pickups ready to roll. Gonna have to wait on sourcing a neck and body though.

9. Censport

Censport Tele-Afflicted

That is absolutely beautiful. Great photos too!

whoanelly15 likes this.
  10. misterdontmove

misterdontmove Tele-Meister

That's a great looking guitar. Something special about putting it together yourself, with a little help from your friends here on TDPRI. The tele in my avatar is a partscaster built the same way. Play the hell out of it!

whoanelly15 likes this.
  11. Gardo

I know a 3way switch is correct for 59 but back in the day guys would wedge in a matchstick or something to get the 2 and 4 sound . I would have a hard time not using a 5way switch
    But that’s just my thought

whoanelly15 likes this.
  12. whoanelly15

My other strat has a 5-way, and I’ll be honest, I rarely stray from neck or bridge positions, so I don’t think I’ll miss it. If I needed 2 or 4, I’d grab that guitar. Plus, that Strat came with a traditional 3-way in the case, and some other stuff, and I figured I’d rather use spare parts as an excuse to build another guitar than leave them in a parts drawer.

I don’t obsess over spec anyways. This custom, as an example, got a 4-way and isn’t a vintage neck. These are more tributary in the visual sense.

Fretting out likes this.
  13. Gardo

Good plan. Last fall I put one together with the goal of using what was laying around. Ended up with something a tittle different but fun. ( my avatar)

whoanelly15 likes this.
  14. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Great job! Nice looking tele! Congrats.

whoanelly15 likes this.
  15. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I can’t stand the 5 way in my A.V 65, I rarely use the combinations and would like to put the extra 3 way it came with in but am scared it’s going to change something

Nice tele by the way

whoanelly15 likes this.
  16. whoanelly15

Thanks! I know what you mean. It’s nice to have the switch for the option, even if you don’t use it. Easy enough to throw right past 2 and 4 (and 3 while we’re at it ;)

The AV65’s are awesome me guitars too! I’d let it be.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.