1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Four years ago today we lost perhaps the greatest all-around musical entertainer of all time

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blowtorch, Apr 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Here's a performance of one of my favorites:

BorderRadio and blowtorch like this.
  2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Have you even been reading this thread? :p

Milspec likes this.
  3. Texicaster

Texicaster Friend of Leo's

YOU brought up the multi-instrumental angle and were unaware of any more adept. I was simply educating you.

Milspec likes this.
  4. blowtorch

No. :p I was not unaware of any more adept.

AGAIN, we are talking about the entire package:

Songwriting
    Singing
    Guitar (and other instrument) playing
    Performance/showmanship

...all in ONE person

So.

You educated no one. :)

tamer_of_banthas likes this.
  5. JoesTele

JoesTele Tele-Holic

No, Prince was Sugar Ray Robinson.

And your notion that industry insiders voting is a metric to be used is absolute lunacy. As I noted above, those industry insiders voted Jethro Tull as Best Heavy Metal act in 1989.

Prince actually was on his own island. Hell, he was in his own galaxy. Truly no modern musical artist can get anywhere near him. And I am not just saying that as a Prince fan. I love John Lennon and The Beatles and some English punk/post punk bands more, but still know that Prince was unlike anything in modern music. He simply was music.

I feel bad for you that you never took the time to immerse yourself into his works. Sad to be a human being and never fully knowing Shakespeare....or Prince.

tamer_of_banthas and blowtorch like this.
  6. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

Prince was one of the best artists of his generation. Certainly one of the most talented. His influences were wide & varied. Miles Davis & Joni Mitchell were bigg fans of the Purple One. I'd defer to their judgment over the detractors/nontalents on a gear forum.

drlucky and blowtorch like this.
  7. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Holic

Here's someone that worked with Prince and knows both sides of the man The stage performer, and the man.Veteran studio engineer Susan Rogers. Now Director of the Berklee Music Perception and Cognition Laboratory.

starts 20:12 on Prince

Manual Slim and blowtorch like this.
  8. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

You mean the Chief Executive of only a few months that was fired and now claiming sexual harassment? After a few months, she ought to know right? As reminder, neither Prince nor Bruce is on the Grammy nomination list since 2012....so what this fired exec says really isn't very valuable when discussing awards from the past since she wasn't apart of it.

There aren't many metrics to choose from (AMA, Grammys, Sales numbers, Am Top 40, etc.) and you can take your pick of them, they will all show that Prince was not outclassing everyone else as the greatest talent the industry has ever seen. It might be true to you, but only to you which is fine, but when you lead the thread by calling out every other artist as being inferior....well, you were picking a fight right off the bat.

Let's agree to just start over with you stating that Prince is your favorite artist of all time and then people who agree with you would have filled this thread with stories and examples of the same belief. That would have worked out better than telling everyone that their idols can't hold a candle to Prince....unless you really just wanted a fight? The music industry has had some incredibly amazing artists and continue to showcase new ones every day, Prince was certainly one of them.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
  9. blowtorch

I didn't say that.

I said that there isn't anyone greater :)
    (as an all-around musical entertainer)

Ask around.

They'll tell you themselves.

Well, Little Richard probably will tell you he's greater. Kanye, too :p

10. blowtorch

He's not, though. I've stated that. Prince is the greatest all around musical entertaining artist, despite not being my favorite.

Have you even been reading this thread?

11. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

No, you didn't say anyone better, you said that nobody was even at Prince's level. Even after I used the Joe Louis example where Louis stands head and shoulders above all other fighters....you called Prince the music industry Joe Louis. You have started this entire crap show by stating the belief that nobody could hold a candle to Prince. Anyone greater was never the discussion.

There really is no point in visiting this thread any longer since you have a closed mind and the position is shifting without logic.

12. blowtorch

No I didn't :p

You're confusing me with someone else here who knows that Prince is unmatched :)

13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Well yeah, all about your opinion!
    Over and over and over!
    We get it!
    Dancing multi instrumentalist that no other musician can hold a candle to!

14. blowtorch

You are leaving out the brilliant songwriting and the otherworldly vocal range :)

Point being, you suggested I post performance examples and I already had, several of them.

15. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Always respected him as an artist or whatever, but it wasn't until recently that I discovered how cool and unique his style was. He was also apparently a gear nerd but that was never widely known.

aging_rocker and blowtorch like this.
  16. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

I never was a big fan until I saw him play the SB and some morning show. Holy cow!!! The dude could play. He also, I learned, was multi talented.
    Never judge a book......

blowtorch likes this.
  17. blowtorch

My mind's not closed.
    Just wondering who compares, and I haven't really heard any viable suggestions

18. ravindave_3600

ravindave_3600 Friend of Leo's

Just because the argument is slowing down...

1. Purple Rain (the movie) is horrible, embarrassing, an ego-trip with a TV movie plot. Purple Rain (the song) is pretty but self-important and monotonous.
    2. Breaking Kirk's guitar was just a jerk move. No class. Apology or not, fixed or not, who treats other people's stuff that way?
    3. WMGGW was horrible, all amazing flash and no soul. Clapton cleaned the floor with him every night because EC plays the song and Prince just wanked on and on.

OK then: very talented singer and producer, impressive guitar technique, great dancer if you care about dancing.

But I could name other artists I'd rather watch.

Texicaster likes this.
  19. blowtorch

Hey it was 1984. that's like, almost 30 years ago :) now

Really I have to agree. Not a class move, in my opinion, but Kirk is okay with it and so should we be

Clapton is boring :)

20. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Prince was such a badass. The fact people have to yawn over that on their internet couch just shows how easy it is to do nothing about it. Meanwhile, I'm going to get my girl to purify herself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka :)

*pop*

*life*

EllroyJames and blowtorch like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.