Four years ago today we lost perhaps the greatest all-around musical entertainer of all time

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blowtorch, Apr 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

We are going to get nowhere with just persoanl taste arguments, what we need is some factual yardstick. So, you claim that Bruce is nowhere near the same plain as Prince, okay lets pull out that yardstick.

Prince was nominated for an impressive 38 Grammy awards....won 7 of them in Rock and R/B
    Bruce was nominated 50 times....won 23 of them for Rock and Folk.

Two artists, winning grammy awards in 2 different genres of music with Bruce crushing it in percentage of wins. So, no, Prince is not untouchable in the talent department.

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

grammys don't mean crap, everyone knows that

3. CV Jee Beez

CV Jee Beez Tele-Afflicted

Thanks OP.

I remember when he passed away and my uncle told me he didn't know I was that much of a prince fan. I had to admit, It didn't appear like I was or would be until, he passed.

When he passed, the first thing that came to mind was my cousin telling me about crying when he was front row at the Forum during the performance. I asked him what that was all about. He said that in that moment he was overwhelmed with the idea of someday Prince not being around and....

I totally get it now. I knew as soon as he died that there was a giant void that most likely will never be filled (ala Bowie, Lemmy, etc.).

I also liked the idea of a multi-instrumentalist who revels and dominates in electric guitar.

He was a great dancer. I think that has to come through in the playing somehow.

blowtorch likes this.
  4. Texicaster

Texicaster Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jerry Garcia played guitar (electric, midi, synth and acoustic in a lot of styles) pedal steel, piano, bass, banjo.

Pedal Steel and banjo two notoriously difficult instruments to play at any level and different beasts than guitar. Prince played variations of several instruments...

So Garcia played a wider genre of instruments....

Milspec likes this.
  5. blowtorch

Right, and as previously stated, that jerry bear had quite the stage moves:rolleyes: o_O :lol::)

CV Jee Beez likes this.
  6. Milspec

Easy to take that stance when they don't support your premise, but it is a yardstick instead of personal emotion. There are over 12,000 "industry members" voting in the Grammys, so that is 12,000 people who disagree with you.

7. blowtorch

Grammys is doing a salute to Prince as I'm typing this
    And none of the performers can hold a candle to him

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
  8. Pickingthru

Pickingthru Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Nobody gets their day, there’s always someone there to take it away.

Just an observation.

CV Jee Beez likes this.
  9. Texicaster

Texicaster Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I thought you were interested in multi-instrumentalists.....

I never got into bands with costumes and stage antics so can't really comment on that...

David Lindley plays acoustic and electric guitar, upright and electric bass, banjo, lap steel guitar, mandolin, hardingfele, bouzouki, cittern, bağlama, gumbus, charango, cümbüş, oud, and zither. That's a much more impressive list

But aside from funky double knit suits not much of a stage presence....

I hung around the bluegrass scene and it was nothing to see guys who could play guitar, bass, mandolin, banjo, dobro and fiddle... and those are diverse stringed instruments... Guys who weren't even pros but had day jobs....

Milspec likes this.
  10. FrontPU

FrontPU Tele-Holic

It's said that the late '70s & early '80s was a great time for one-hit wonders, but it was also a great time for genius guitar & bass players in all genres; Paco de Lucia, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Allan Holdsworth, Jaco Pastorius, Eddie Van Halen, Jeff Berlin, Luis Johnson, Kazuhito Yamashita, Yngwie Malmsteen to name a few.Their talents were different but share the same level of impact for me.
    As a guitarist, the impact of Prince might have been not as vivid as that of them, but still he was also recognized by many as a genius guitarist already at that time along with those guitar/bass genius.

11. JoesTele

JoesTele Tele-Holic

I can't believe what I just read. Grammys are now the way we establish the talent of an artist.

Man, I better get me some Jethro Tull albums. After all, according to The Grammys, Tull is the best heavy metal band.

Grammys? What are you going to do next, tell us that sales is the second way we determine an artist's talent? Yup, Taylor Swift is far more talented than Bob Dylan.

Fearnot and blowtorch like this.
  12. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Prince was obviously a bit of an eccentric, and had a longstanding policy of not giving autographs. My guess was that this was just an extension of that. But the guitar was repaired on his dime, and is probably worth much more now than it ever would have been without having been broken by Prince.

13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Why are you so insistent that this sort of memorial thread about the tragic early death of a top pop star, be made into a high school style popularity contest?

Consider the possibility that most of us don't want to play this game, never mind believe in some concept of "best artist", and then the few who might choose a "best" would maybe not fight you on it in this memorial thread.
    Most of us agree he was a great artist and his death was a tragedy.
    Maybe we can fight over fave band best artist some other time and place?

BTW, did you miss Bowie being mentioned?
    If you can only recall four possible top artists you need to get out more!

And are you aware of the fact that many many big stars could play guitar, piano, bass and drums?
    Most chose to find other musicians to work with, it doesn't actually make an artist better or more important to choose to make their music alone. In a way the artist that pulls in the best talents and keeps changing it up is possibly more effective.
    Would Miles have been better if he had no other artists on his recordings?

I like Prince as a person but none of his music moves me or sticks in my head.
    I tried to find something he did that I could love but it just didn't happen.
    He certainly set the scene for a generation or two but I didn't get pulled into that scene and the music was very scene based, as you said, in the performance/ dancing/ party etc.
    He locked in to that cultural phenomena and delivered a product that was palatable to those masses.

Not unlike MJ really, pop music sung and danced to huge audiences.
    I can dig how he added components of other styles, and I used to be impressed by his playing all the instruments on his albums, but in the end the music at the core of it just never moved me or moved into me.
    I'm certainly aware of the masses of a certain age who consider him the king of pop.

Pop has handed out a lotta crowns over the decades though, you just picked this particular king as yours and now insist nobody is better. Hard to understand the motivation.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
    Milspec and Frodebro like this.
  14. blowtorch

cool story.

And your point is? o_O

15. Milspec

Not talent, comparative analysis of industry impact. There is no yardstick for talent, it is all subjective. Just using industry metrics to point out that Prince was not off on an island alone as an artist. In boxing, there is Joe Louis and everyone else starts at a tie for 10th place. Prince is no Joe Louis.

16. blowtorch

Because I'm not interested in talking about his death.

I'm interested in helping you guys realize that he was the greatest :) Yeah sure Bowie was cool, but he was no Prince

17. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My first exposure to Prince was being forced to sit through Purple Rain with my then girlfriend. As a dyed-in-the-wool metal head, I was NOT enthusiastic about the event. However, by the end of the movie I was a convert and have had massive respect for the guy ever since.

blowtorch likes this.
  18. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

Who gives a rat's a$$ about a guitar? They make em every day in factories all over the world. There will be only one Prince!

You don't like him or his music, we get it...

JoesTele likes this.
  19. blowtorch

Grammys are political and rigged. They lack integrity, and that is according to the chief executive of the organizing body

ravindave_3600 likes this.
  20. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Well now that we know your opinion, got anything else to share?

Like maybe post youtube clips of your fave performances?
    Performance is more compelling than argument!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.