1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Four years ago today we lost perhaps the greatest all-around musical entertainer of all time

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blowtorch, Apr 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elmicko

elmicko Tele-Afflicted

Never was a fan of his music, but he was a hell of a guitar player. I would like to hear what he would be doing now if he was still living.

2. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

There are millions of fans who would strongly disagree. Girls were passing out from screaming for Sir Paul...don't recall that at a Prince concert.

Again, it comes down to what type of music you like as to which one is the better artist. I contend that regardless of your personal preference in music, Springsteen has written more successful hits than Prince, put on better live shows (ranked number one live many years running by Rolling Stone), and I would put Bruce's playing back in the late '70's in the league with Prince as well. There are likely greats in metal and jazz who could make the same claims as well.

Just different strokes for different folks.

3. Retrobob

Retrobob Tele-Meister

Funny prince story on Fallon

4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Come on. Paul was in a boyband, yeah, but the dude didn't and don't dance :p
    And Springsteen's mumbling is maybe singing if you're in a Bob Dylan world

Mad Kiwi likes this.
  5. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Afflicted

Sometimes it's best just to not say anything.

6. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

There's some real Prince slander going around this thread. Of course his music may or may not be to everyone's taste, and he's not my favorite musician of all time. But his abilities and talents as a musician and performer are undeniable.

Bruce? C'mon man. It's perfectly fair to prefer his music and performances over Prince, but Bruce couldn't play one instrument as well as Prince played half a dozen.

His guitar playing always gets the attention, and rightly so, but I personally think Prince was a better keyboardist. He could readily pull off legit gospel and jazz in his solo keyboard performances. Could Bruce do this?

blowtorch and richiek65 like this.
  7. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's

Yep, horses for courses, I'm not across his whole catalogue, but Purple Rain I believe to be a masterpiece. And as cheesy as the movie is, it's got some great moments, and not many "band" movies are made these days, hey?

Allow me to indulge myself for a moment, not trying to steal anything away from the purpose of this thread

So just over 4 years ago we'd been rehearsing Purple Rain to add to our set list, just as a bit of a slower number to throw in if we thought it would fit. We had a Wednesday rehearsal and thought it sounded ready and we might give it a run at Friday night's gig. Friday morning we wake up to the news that Prince was gone. We turn up to the gig, very sombre mood in the place, smattering of people in the crowd wearing Prince T shirts (he'd toured his solo piano show about 4 weeks earlier), and lots of purple everywhere. We were now in two minds as to whether to play PR or not, but we started the second set with it. I have never, nor will ever play anything at a gig to match that reaction. Small room, reasonable sized crowd , maybe 80 or so, everyone out of their seats/stools and down to within 18 inches of the band, arms around each other, some in tears, everyone singing and completely getting the gravity of the moment. Our bass player sings this song so well, and i pulled a passable solo out of my backside at the end. We got handshakes, high fives and hugs from the crowd, many still crying. We were all exhausted and looked at each other as if to say how are we gonna do the rest of the set, it will all be so vapid and meaningless. Luckily we also had When Doves Cry already as an established number in our set, so we went straight into that to keep the Prince tribute going but to lift the room somewhat, everybody danced and sang their hearts out and the rest of the gig was a party. Just what everyone needed on a very sad day.

8. FLHT

FLHT Tele-Meister

It seems odd that is not okay for him to sign it, but it's okay for him to borrow it, then intentionally break it.

9. blowtorch

Mine either.
    But he's probably the greatest single musical entertainer of all time, despite that.

Lawdawg likes this.
  10. Milspec

So we are counting dancing as attributes to musical artist now? What isntrument is that?

Saying that Springsteen can't sing is nonesense, not everyone needs to be Sinatra to deliver the lyrics and emotion of a song. Tom Petty's voice isn't great, but his singing fit the music damn well. I really think people discredit Springsteen because they didn't see him perform in the late '70's thru to his departure to raise kids and only know Bruce today. They really are not the same performer...age does that to you, but I still hold Bruce above Prince and yes, I still think Sir Paul is on the level of musical artist who could do it all with Prince as well.

That is why I play Springsteen and Beatles songs and have yet to learn a Prince song. He just wasn't my cup of tea.

Turtleneck and teletail like this.
  11. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

I’m a fan and it’s ok with me that some of his material does indeed bore me. Can’t win ‘em all.

12. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

Wow, I don't need to stay here. ( I saw Prince live....awesome)

blowtorch likes this.
  13. blowtorch

Showmanship, my man. Performance. You don't simply sing and play a song, you PERFORM it.

The people want to see a show, as well as hear some fine music. Otherwise they may as well stay home and listen to it on spotify

JoesTele likes this.
  14. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Afflicted

I was thinking this thread would be about Bowie, but Prince is worthy as well. Never been my thing, but I respect him, don't feel the need to knock him.

telemnemonics likes this.
  15. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Afflicted

Prince was an incredible musician, writer, performer...his musical legacy and influence will be around for some time to come.

Do I personally listen to him much? Nope. But that's irrelevant to a discussion about his talent.

RIP the Purple fella.

richiek65, Milspec and Fendereedo like this.
  16. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Not a fan in anyway whatsoever, but I'm sad he has gone, and however much I don't like his music, he more than deserves his place in musical history.

17. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Afflicted

Not a fan either but I guess I appreciate his artistry and ability to connect with the masses. Just not me either.

suave eddie and Milspec like this.
  18. Mirrorshades

Mirrorshades TDPRI Member

Luckily, Prince was so prolific that he constantly stashed away recordings and films in his "Vault". His estate occasionally releases some of them, like the Piano & A Microphone album.

19. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Afflicted

You got any youtube vids up? I want to hear that hallmark sing.

20. Milspec

Maybe if you play dance music it does, but not rock. Seriously, I have never gone to a concert to watch for the dancing...not once. Look, Prince admired Bruce and Bruce respected Prince, they know they were both one of the best all arounds in their time. Why Prince fans hate Springsteen is beyond me to understand, but you will never impress me with dancing moves at a concert. If I want to see dancing, I go to the boom boom room on 3rd street. Concerts are for music in my view.

Bruce is the better band leader (Prince has admitted it himself) and Prince added horns to his band after attending a Springsteen concert. I hope Prince wasn't too disappointed that Bruce wasn't dancing. One of the best tesiments came from Prince who once said that he doesn't get noticed when he attends Springsteen concerts...enough said.

telemnemonics likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.