Four months in!

StoneH

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Yeh! Certainly amazing how our hands feel the 2mm difference. Looks like I am yet on the journey to finding that "right" feel guitar. I will have to try out different guitars for sure. Thank you!

Two millimeters is an issue for my right hand (fingerstyle) as well. Using a pick (not strumming) on the 12-string is also problematic. I just have to adjust for a day or two before I record or I can't get a good take . . . kind of like "measure twice, cut once". ;)

blueteletubbie

TDPRI Member
Two millimeters is an issue for my right hand (fingerstyle) as well. Using a pick (not strumming) on the 12-string is also problematic. I just have to adjust for a day or two before I record or I can't get a good take . . . kind of like "measure twice, cut once". ;)
Haha. Yeh. Also amazing how our bodies learn to adjust. A day or two sounds relatively quick for me. haha. It's been four months and my tele neck still feels kind of new. 😅

kuch

Tele-Afflicted
Hello everyone,

I am a relatively new electric player. I purchased my first electric (daphne blue player series tele) about four months ago.
And a second electric a couple days ago--a yamaha eg303--because it was selling for cheap and......yeh. I am in that phase(please tell me it's a phase) of looking online every single day at what teles are on sale around me.... please tell me this will stop.

I have only played the acoustic guitar all these years. So, the telecaster seems VERY heavy to me. HAHA.
I just cannot get used to the weight!!!! I was so surprised when I tried the Yamama eg303. It almost felt like a toy. The neck of the eg303 also seemed to fit better for my hands. Based on this, if there are any suggestions on how to find a better fitting guitar (more comfortable to play for my hands), please feel free to share. Thank you to everyone here for their knowledge!! I certainly appreciate it.
Hey BTT,

Welcome to the club.

What no one has mentioned so far is fretboard radius. If you've been playing acoustics only for a while, you're probably used to flatter freboards, 12"-14" radius. Before you go to a guitar store next time, research electrics with 9 1/2" to 12" radius. I hope this helps.

Have fun

unixfish

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Ah. Sounds like the right way to go. I will have to try out different guitars! (I am currently at the place where I feel really shy to go to the guitar store and asking to play the electrics--because I feel like I still don't really know how to/what to play on the electric vs acoustic. haha.) Thanks!

Oh, I get you. If this helps:

I usually don't plug in when I test guitars in a shop. 5 or 10 minutes unplugged will give you and idea if you like the feel of the neck or not. Once you have it narrowed down to a few you like, then you can plug in to see if you like the sound.

I played guitars unplugged for about a year before I figured out what I did and did not like. At that point, I asked a shop about a model, and they let me use an amp in a lessons room all by myself.

I am still shy about playing in front of people - but I am working on that too.

blueteletubbie

TDPRI Member
Hey BTT,

Welcome to the club.

What no one has mentioned so far is fretboard radius. If you've been playing acoustics only for a while, you're probably used to flatter freboards, 12"-14" radius. Before you go to a guitar store next time, research electrics with 9 1/2" to 12" radius. I hope this helps.

Have fun
Thank you for the welcome and thank you also for the info on the radius. This is something I had not known! I went into Guitar Center today as I was in the area and the associate there explained this whole thing to me!! Amazed! It does help!

blueteletubbie

TDPRI Member
Oh, I get you. If this helps:

I usually don't plug in when I test guitars in a shop. 5 or 10 minutes unplugged will give you and idea if you like the feel of the neck or not. Once you have it narrowed down to a few you like, then you can plug in to see if you like the sound.

I played guitars unplugged for about a year before I figured out what I did and did not like. At that point, I asked a shop about a model, and they let me use an amp in a lessons room all by myself.

I am still shy about playing in front of people - but I am working on that too.
Thank you for the wonderful tip! I went into Guitar Center today and did just this! You are right. 👍Didn't need the amp for testing out the feel of the necks! I tried out many teles and the CV, and the players plus was it! The rolled edges! I don't remember which other ones (if any) also come with this rolled edge. But Wow! What a difference it makes!!!

Bob M

Friend of Leo's
For a guitar that appears to be so basic and has been around as long as the Tele, I find it remarkable the differences between individual guitars. Once bitten, as it appears that you have been, there is no going back!

Don’t be too concerned. Everyone else on this forum is suffering from the same malady!

Fenderdad1950

Friend of Leo's
Welcome from Albuquerque, New Mexico. I take it that the EG303 has a slim neck, so if you like that neck profile, then a Classic Vibe Tele from Fender Squire, would be more suited for you at the present time. Their owners are very passionate about this model that has a slimmer neck. Don't sell the dauphine blue Tele, because believe me, players tastes in models always evolve. Good luck, play on

blueteletubbie

TDPRI Member
For a guitar that appears to be so basic and has been around as long as the Tele, I find it remarkable the differences between individual guitars. Once bitten, as it appears that you have been, there is no going back!

Don’t be too concerned. Everyone else on this forum is suffering from the same malady!
Haha! Yes! So true. Which shows us that no two things in this world are the same. Which is SO fascinating and I LOVE! GAS, right? 🤕 HAHA.

blueteletubbie

TDPRI Member
Welcome from Albuquerque, New Mexico. I take it that the EG303 has a slim neck, so if you like that neck profile, then a Classic Vibe Tele from Fender Squire, would be more suited for you at the present time. Their owners are very passionate about this model that has a slimmer neck. Don't sell the dauphine blue Tele, because believe me, players tastes in models always evolve. Good luck, play on
Thank you for the welcome!
I tried the CV yesterday and felt that it was similar to my players. Is that in my head?
However, I tried the player plus and the rolled necks/frets seem to do it!!!

Thanks for the suggestion to keep my daphne blue around. You're right. I'm still in the beginning stages of my electric journey and my taste most definitely will evolve as I continue!

24 track

Telefied
Ad Free Member
It's not a 'phase', you have a condition called ' Gear Acquisition Syndrome '.

There is no cure!
😜
tell me about it, I going to be burried in one of my bass bins , I'm serious

My future !

Skeleton at mixer.jpg

kbold

Friend of Leo's
Welcome. You've gone down the rabbit hole quite quickly.
I have only played the acoustic guitar all these years.
..... the acoustic guitar? Only one?? What about a smaller bodied ... a classical ... a 12 string.

And what about amps ... I mean, you'll need an acoustic amp. What amp do you have for your electric.
If it's solid state, you definitely need to investigate valve amps and modellers.

You don't mention any bass guitars. Surely you have a bass or two?
You'll also need a bass amp for that bass. It not acceptable to play a bass through an electic guitar amp (speakers blow).

One pertinent question. Are you married? (Tends to have a major impact on 'rabbit holing'.)

blueteletubbie

TDPRI Member
Welcome. You've gone down the rabbit hole quite quickly.

..... the acoustic guitar? Only one?? What about a smaller bodied ... a classical ... a 12 string.

And what about amps ... I mean, you'll need an acoustic amp. What amp do you have for your electric.
If it's solid state, you definitely need to investigate valve amps and modellers.

You don't mention any bass guitars. Surely you have a bass or two?
You'll also need a bass amp for that bass. It not acceptable to play a bass through an electic guitar amp (speakers blow).

One pertinent question. Are you married? (Tends to have a major impact on 'rabbit holing'.)
HAHA. Yes!
I've actually purchased another tele(American Standard) last week and am doing pretty well with GAS!
No urge to buy more guitars so far!

EXCEPT, yes. I am looking to upgrade my acoustic. HA. And do feel like I need a classical..
I do have a bass that is.. living in its case.. but I am sure I will use it once I master the electric. 😃

🤣🤣🤣 I realize I have been doing really well with not buying a new amp. I've been doing well with my fender mustang II. I am not married yet, so.. I'll buy all the gear I want before I get married.. (jk..haha?) or marry someone who has more gear than me so I can use it. 😀

It's GOOD to talk about this!!!
How therapeutic. I think this is helping me to see my condition as a third person. 😂😂😂

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
When you get a chance, try an SG. An Epiphone with a set-neck will be more reasonable (the bolt on is the budget line, avoid those). They are some of the lightest guitars around. The necks are wide and flat - much closer to an acoustic.

blueteletubbie

TDPRI Member
When you get a chance, try an SG. An Epiphone with a set-neck will be more reasonable (the bolt on is the budget line, avoid those). They are some of the lightest guitars around. The necks are wide and flat - much closer to an acoustic.
Okay. Thank you! Will do. I've only been journeying on the telecasters so far.