1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fountain Pens

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Stanford Guitar, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

:lol::lol::lol: Ah.... yes.... these are the things that make life worth living :D Joyus thread indeed!

WorkbenchJohnny and jays0n like this.
  2. Texas Special

Texas Special Tele-Holic

I think that we as a collective can come to a simple conclusion. Being thus:
    Fountain pen - old school. Simple but very stylish.

Mechanical watches - Simple mechanical perfection.

Telecaster - Simple musical perfection.

Amen brothers.

3. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

I've had a Parker 75, Sterling silver barrel and cap for over 30 years, given to me by my wife upon my graduation from university. Got another Parker, stainless steel, to use in my classroom, since the 75 was too valuable to expose to sticky fingers. My last one is a Cross, blue, that I got 'cause I wanted to. I'm not fancy when it comes to ink, just Parker Quink.

4. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I don't know if cartridge pens are still around, but in the seventh grade I had one.

It was cool writing with the fountain pen style tip, but what was even cooler for a 7th grader was cutting off both ends of the empty cartridges to make a really good, accurate, secret retractable spitwad shooter.

:twisted:

David Barnett likes this.
  5. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Me! When I first went to school we had to use them. Had one ever since, probably my dad’s influence. Sadly lost a really good Waterman, my preferred make, walking hone from a meeting a couple of years back. Still look out for it when I walk that way. Using one my wife bought me around thirty years ago. Recently re-installed the ink reserve and bought a bottle of royal blue.

Word of advice to fountain users in the modern world. Don’t, ever, take one on a flight. It is, believe me, a messy experience!

6. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I'm surprised so many people use them.

gimmeatele likes this.
  7. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Yep, I started on charcoal!

telleutelleme likes this.
  8. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

You have just summed up my philosophy on life, 12 mechanical watches, check, three Telecasters, check, one fountain pen............I need more fountain pens!

WorkbenchJohnny and jays0n like this.
  9. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

I use a Parker and a Watermann for all my everyday writing and yes, it is Watermann not Waterman, it's a fake but a great pen. The only problem I have found is filling in some official forms. Where scanners are used to read the form they don't always pick up fountain pen ink so I have to resort to the evil ballpoint. Mind you, the ballpoint is also a Parker and I have had it since doing my A levels in 1967.

gimmeatele likes this.
  10. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Afflicted

Almost forgot: ink.
    I use Aurora black ink. I've tried other inks but the Aurora is very black and works perfectly every time.
    So that I won't be accused of being a slacker,
    I also have mechanical/automatic watches.
    All Seiko. Need to take some pics.
    I'm short of telecasters, but well stocked on Gibsons -
    2004 Les Paul Double cut, faded
    2002 J-50 acoustic

Mark

jays0n likes this.
  11. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Had a Montclair. Schaefer in grade school. Had a lot of blue pockets

LutherBurger likes this.
  12. hepular

hepular Tele-Holic

way back when a student bought me a waterman as a thank you for winning a uni prize, have a bunch of cheapo scheaffers, a cross or 2, and my grandfather's parker 51

use one or more everyday

13. Tyuk

Tyuk TDPRI Member

I write with my left hand so fountain pens are the devil. Although, historically speaking, I guess I’m the devil. :D

Nightclub Dwight likes this.
  14. fozhebert

fozhebert Tele-Meister

My 15 year old Lamy is still going strong. Ergonomic cartridge fountain pen is the fastest thing I can write with.

15. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

I don't need no fancy fountain pen. A good old steel nib and an inkwell was good enough for me to run the Hudson's Bay Company's Northern Department in 1851, and it's good enough now.

(Fun fact: I was featured in the 2010 Parks Canada Calendar writing with a steel nib pen.)

16. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

A guy told me he signed contracts with a black, felt-tipped pen. He believed it carried psychological weight for the other party.

I have a couple Cross pens - my Grandfather’s, Father-in-law’s, and one my Dad gave me.

Stanford Guitar likes this.
  17. PaulNYC

PaulNYC TDPRI Member

I love my lamy 2k

Stanford Guitar likes this.
  18. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

From the left, the three Shaeffers I used for note taking and written exams in university and law school, for the bar exam and - with the gold Parker, a graduation gift from my parents - for drafting memos, briefs and letters my first few years as a lawyer before desk top computing. The Waterman was a gift from my wife, the Cross was a going away gift from a colleague, and the black barrel Parker belonged to my mother. In grammar school we learned to write with fountain pens, ball points were not yet generally available to the public, and later on the nuns would not permit the use of ballpoints.

IMG_0030 2.JPG

19. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

Mechanical watches: Yep
    Telecasters: Yep
    Bicycles: Yep
    Fountain Pens: Yep

Sign me up for the club. Truth be told, when I still worked an office job I would usually use a fine quality rollerball or ballpoint. I have several Mont Blancs, a few Parkers, many Levenger True Writers in different colors. But I'd also break out the fountain pens when the mood hit me.

Interesting fact that is relevant to nice guitars and nice pens. I own a beautiful S.T. Dupont gold fountain pen that my dad gave me for high school graduation. Several years ago I stashed it in a pen case from Levenger. The pen case's padded interior reacted with the finish on the Dupont and severely disfigured it, just like old rubber guitar stands do to nitro guitars. On one hand I never really bonded with that pen--it is just a bit thin for me. But I was left disappointed because I have owned it for so long, and also I was considering selling it to buy something more to my liking. Oh well, at least it still works as intended.

How about adding nice knives to this group of fascinating objects? I am really guilty in that department, but we can save that for another discussion.

20. jays0n

jays0n Tele-Holic

hahhaha oh man, too many kindred spirits at TDPRI.

I'll def post if i get one. dang tempting.

I agree with the jewels statement too. Man that is a total different slippery slope.

Telekarster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.