1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fountain Pens

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Stanford Guitar, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Afflicted

Anyone a fan?

Just a simple Lamy with Kon-Peki ink for me.

BF653214-85A1-4356-A119-BD9A0F5FEFA2_1_105_c.jpeg

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

i remember these pens that , you turn them upside down, and something interesting happened

3. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Had a very good calligrapher in the family, used to love getting into his cast-off gear when I was a kid. Haven't really messed with them as an adult. Pilot G2 0.38 is as close to perfection as I can imagine.

4. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

Ha! You know, what's interesting to me is that I see time and time again - those of us who are into these 6 stringers also share a lot of the same interests in other areas too! Must be something to this... anyway, regarding fountain pens... YES! I used to not only collect them, I used them in my every day business! Antique, new, etc. I still have them and on occasion, still use them. I got a nice collection of inks and wells too! :) My personal favorites are Conklin's, Pelikan, Viscante, and of course... Mont Blanc ;)

5. Texas Special

Texas Special Tele-Holic

A thing of beauty, is a joy forever. I like, and use one wherever possible.... DSC_0598.JPG

6. jays0n

jays0n Tele-Holic

I am very susceptible to this sort of thing. Please don't get me going on this. I have enough troubles with just guitar and mountain bike gear :)

That looks like fun though.

7. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Holic

I was into them when I was a kid. I forget the brands, but it wasn't the nice ones.

Stanford Guitar likes this.
  8. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My partner is an artist. Fountain pens are a relatively new passion as he loves drawing in ink. Over the last 3 months he’s amassed quite a collection. Mostly under $50. Dang converters can be pricey when you’re buying it for a $5 Preppy. He loves his Jin Hao shark and swan kits. Especially the swans..fude nub suits drawing so far. Lamy, Moon Man, Muji etc. I encourage him because it’s a fairly inexpensive hobby. I told him this morning I meant to buy an EHX overdrive today. His response was “which one”! I love that dude! Mind you I’ve probably spent $500 on EHX this year.

9. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have an old Staedtler that I assume the bladder is toast 45 years on. Loved it, but I got out of calligraphy due to lack of talent and interest - and the introduction of eMail. My calligraphy set was likely "lost" several moves ago.

10. Telekarster

LOL!!!! Dude... you totally need to get one, a bottle of ink or cartridges, and try em. There's just something nostalgic about them and, if you get a quality one, they write soooo smooth. They take some getting used to at first, but you'll be hooked no doubt ;) Not to mention, you'll get plenty of "wow!" looks when you whip that gold nib out and the ink starts flowing! It's awesome ;) :cool:

11. Texas Special

Texas Special Tele-Holic

That's exactly what I'm talking about. A bit of style and class.

Stanford Guitar and Telekarster like this.
  12. Texas Special

Texas Special Tele-Holic

Then..... You can personalize. I'd recommend checking out Mont Blanc's range of inks. Myself? Mystery Grey.

Stanford Guitar and Telekarster like this.
  13. Telekarster

Amen brother! Nice MB you got there btw ;) Style... class... timeless ;)

14. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

I had some nice fountain pens when I was younger. Ruined many a shirt with them. Over time they disappeared. I’m strictly a bic Cristal Xtra Smooth user now

A fine fountain pen is(was) a thing of joy to write with.

15. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

They've really changed since I was a kid.

upload_2021-3-5_15-7-24.png

16. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

These are the nice ones in the collection.

pen collection.jpg

The stripey ones are Parker Vacumatics from WWII. There's a 1920s Big Red in the back, a couple of 50s Sheaffer's (including my mother's red Admiral) a teens Waterman and some odd 1900s filler-types (like a blow-fill, Conklin, etc.).

thebowl, telemnemonics, irie and 10 others like this.
  17. MojoTrwall

MojoTrwall Tele-Holic

I've got a 146 and few parker 75 bought second hand.

I'm craving for a Parker 75 lapis lazuli and a stub nib

18. Telekarster

Oh yeah... MB ink is my personal choice for sure! I've got it in black, cobalt blue, racing green, etc. ;)

19. Texas Special

Texas Special Tele-Holic

This is going to sound a bit strange - I have an MB Starwalker rollerball. The price of the refills! Daylight robbery.... Yet, their ink cartridges are very reasonable in price. I don't get it.

20. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

http://newpentrace.net/ I used to hang out in the Pentrace forum quite a bit.

I learned calligraphy in High School art classes. Had a full set of Speedball pens, etc. Somewhere around here I have a pretty-good copy of the Gettysburg Address I did.

I prefer a medium italic nib...just a little flex. I had a custom nib ground for one of my striped Vacumatics (the Red one, I think. I have one of each color, Red, Blue and Green).

I found Vintage pens require a lot of maintenance. Even the more modern Vacumatics tend to leak if they're not carefully used. I think I tend to grip mine too hard, they usually develop section leaks. I've retired all of them to the display case.

I carried a Pelican 1000 for many years...and then it fell out of my pocket and snapped in half at the section. I retired it.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.