1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Foundation 2

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by nosmo, Nov 5, 2014.

1. thecableguy

thecableguy Friend of Leo's

Good to see you back Nosmo. Nice work so far.

2. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Thanks Brian

3. Greg M

Greg M Tele-Holic

Nice build, and for a great cause. I have the utmost respect for our wounded warriors.

4. OpenG Capo4

OpenG Capo4 Friend of Leo's

I use that same method for clamping headstock veneers. I'm considering making a jig with stop blocks and clamps to hold the neck in place, and a piece of PVC pipe to form the veneer to the curve.

I usually just let the veneer go all the way up to the nut slot and then sand it back a little bit to expose the end of the fretboard. Or just leave it all the way up.

[​IMG]

I shape the truss rod opening with a rotary rasp and some cone shaped grinding stones chucked in a drill.

5. Reckless Rat

Reckless Rat Tele-Meister

I'm disappointed to find that you don't have a bandsaw with a poetical bent; Alfred, Lord Tension.

I wandered egregarious through the maple
    And floated high o'er template and pencil

Seeing all the cool things people are doing with veneers recently is really inspiring - but first I need to sort out the darn Bigsby-and-bridge problem for my friend's guitar.

Lovely work so far - can't wait to see this puppy finished

*With appropriate apologies to Wordsworth.

6. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

It makes me feel good to help any group that helps them.

I don't know if I'll make any more Tele/Strat type headstocks with veneer. The problem is not so much the laminating - it's the damn binding!

:eek: Dang highbrow Brit. Don't be comin' 'round here with all that new fangled high class education malarky. Did Brainy put you up to this?

:lol::lol::lol:

7. OpenG Capo4

OpenG Capo4 Friend of Leo's

I remember somebody doing a bound Tele headstock with the StewMac handheld binding cutter (the one thats like a utility knife with an edge guide). I may try that if I ever do one with binding.

8. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

A purfling cutter? That's what I used. I saw that in Buckocaster's sparkle thread. I think he struggled with that problem years ago.

9. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Forgot to add this picture. I filled the top and sanded it as flat as possible before laminating the top veneer.

[​IMG]

When I got the clamps off the neck, I used them to laminate the veneer to the body. That plexi-template I made for the twisted Tele is one handy item. Seems like I use it all the time. Used it here as the first layer over the veneer. Good thing too as I forgot to put the wax paper in there.

So it's body, veneer, plexi-template, MDF, couple screws and a bunch of clamps. Oh yeah, there's some glue in there too. Better Bond Cold Press Veneer Adhesive, dark. Love that stuff.

[​IMG]

The reason I used the plexiglass was because it would conform to the forearm cut. But to make it do that I had to tap a few thin pieces of scrap between the plexi & the MDF

[​IMG]

I forgot to take a picture, but to align the veneer I lined up the seam with the Rosewood pinstripe in the body. Then tapped in two little brads where the bridge PU will be. Removed the brads & veneer, spread the glue, then lined up the holes in the veneer with the holes in the body and put in new brads. Since both of my templates have cut outs for the PU, they went right over the brads.

I did check to make sure it was still lined up after I clamped everything.

[​IMG]

Good thing - I don't know what I would have done if it wasn't lined up. Bet I could have come up with a few new words.

Guess it worked 'cause this is how it came out before sanding.

[​IMG]

The shiny spots are where the glue came through the veneer. Glad I used that brown glue.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  10. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Woooo!
    I was going to write a heartfelt ode or sonnet or something to that gorgeous top, but you're so testy this evening, I won't bother.

Anyone who's watched in horror, as yalller carpenter's glue oozed up through thin veneer, (present company included) is a BIG fan of cold bond veneer glue. Great stuff. And it looked to have worked a treat, wax paper or no!

11. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

No...I'm in a fine mood. Well...about average I guess. Perhaps I should apologize to Reckless Rat. I mean, what a cool name! I actually like the sonnet or limerick or whatever it was he wrote. My feeble attempt at humor :oops: Hope I didn't scare him off.

Yeah that glue is the shiznick. It's thick so it doesn't bleed through. It dries really hard. It looks like chocolate when it's dry. What's not to like?

12. dr.chevalier

dr.chevalier Tele-Holic

Love the build! You mentioned camo earlier (and deciding against it) but if you were to do an olive drab stain over that veneer, you get the beauty of the grain and a nod to 'mossy-oak'.

13. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

:eek:

Let me 'splain something about myself. I am not the best finisher in the world. As a matter of fact, I may be the anti-finisher. I have no doubt there are a bunch of folks around here that could probably pull that off. And I see where you're going with that, but as far as I'm concerned, nothing is going near that top but maybe some oil to bring out the natural grain and some kind of clear.

I am open to suggestions - just not that one :lol:

14. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Meanwhile, back at the old same place…

Had a bunch of necking' stuff to do. Had to attach the binding to the fretboard.

[​IMG]

And like magic the glue is dry enough to trim the binding.

First we trim the transition with a scary sharp chisel. 'Cause a dull one will only get you hurt. Just wanted to get it pretty close. I will need to sand it to final shape once it's attached to the neck. Of course I have to bind the headstock before I can do that.

[​IMG]

Yep, the chip out is still there. At least the thin parts next to it have a little more support now. I guess I forgot to mention erlier that there will be a zero fret. That's why there are so many cuts up there.

[​IMG]

That's close enough for now. So it's on to the heel.

[​IMG]

After about 100 test fits...

[​IMG]

…the pieces are so tired they're begging to be glued.

[​IMG]

And again, like magic, everything is dry enough for a group shot.

[​IMG]

Getting' closer

15. dr.chevalier

dr.chevalier Tele-Holic

Fair enough. :D

I have the opposite skill set, I can hold my own doing a stain job, I just can't build anything worth staining.:oops:

16. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Staining......this is Mr. Yeknom's type of staining.. One of his weaker attempts actually.

image-1921308579.jpg

17. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Bad Monkey, Bad, Bad.

18. Wheelie

Wheelie Tele-Meister

Nice piece of veneer, looks like a Rorschach test. I see an evil little dog head on a plucked chicken body with a cape.

Probably shouldn't have said that out loud.

19. Daverius

Daverius Tele-Meister

Hot diggity dog, Nosmo is back, and with a bound neck. Love it. Already shook my head a few times with that damn, that is a clever way to do it feeling.

20. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

What a project, and that fretboard has figuring/character!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.