Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by nosmo, Nov 5, 2014.
Those are images worthy of guitar p0rn weekly. Well done sir!
That is truly beautiful, Nosmo. Not the monkey pic, but your guitar. Well, I guess it's a beautiful pic of the monkey, too. Rather see a monkey happy in bananas than a pig happy in . . .
Ah Rick, you sure do have a way with words. Or dots. Whatever.
I did a little more work on the neck. The decal is buried and the headstock veneer is polished.
Not the best pictures, but it's hard to focus after the Jameson's.
I adjusted the truss rod to get the fretboard as flat as possible and started cutting frets.
That's my modified Klein nibbler.
Cuts the ends to clear the binding. Like this.
After the fretwire is bent with the Rube Goldberg jig.
I bend the wire a little tighter than the fretboard radius. Which is 12" at the nut & 16" at the heel. That means I bend the wire to about 11" and beat it into submission.
I know that sounds kind of barbaric, but I don't have one of those fancy-schmancy arbor presses with the various cauls I'd need. The sand bag absorbs a lot of the energy, so the frets go in pretty well. I didn't use any glue. I figured the Tru-Oil in the slots will work the same way. By the way, the heel & the headstock are finished with the Target EM6000. The fretboard & the back of the neck are finished in Tru-Oil. I really like the feel of the Tu-Oil. Makes for a fast neck
That neck is pure beauty!
You gotta be happy as a pig in sh. . . Uh, I mean a monkey in bananas about the way that neck is turning out. The "pin striping" detail looks fabulous!
This looks awesome - i like the attention to all these little details
Thanks Rick. My favorite part is the pinstripe that curves at the headstock. That was kind of a pain.
Thanks. I was supposed to be a "simple" guitar, and it is pretty basic, so the details are really all there is to look at
I got all the frets in. I used my block to file the ends flush, then used the angled side to file the ends again.
Used the anti-idiot tape to protect the headstock.
I used a lot more tape to protect the fretboard as I went through the steps to level & polish the frets.
It's hard to imagine anyone reading this doesn't know the steps, but I'll tell you how I do it. I start by adjusting the truss rod to get the fretboard as flat as possible. Mark the tops of the frets with a Sharpie, then I use a Corian block (actually laminated two pieces of 5/8" together to make it stiffer) with 1500 grit paper on it until the tops of each fret are shiny. Next I use a crowning file to get rid of any flat spots on the fret tops and smooth out the sharp fret ends. Then I polish with 2000 grit paper & steel wool.
About the only thing left on the neck now is the nut.
So I stamped a serial number in the neck pocket
Then I started wiring. Actually, I think I drilled a few holes first. Mounting holes in the neck, mounting holes for the jack, holes for the control cover, little tiny holes for the tuner screws. Maybe a few others, but I didn't take any pictures so we'll just get to the wiring.
I prefer to do as much soldering as possible far away from the body so I poked a few holes in some cardboard and went at it.
I like to color code my wiring. Not to any kind of standard, but something I can follow. The PU's that Rob so generously donated have black push back wire with braided shielding. The Barncaster F-90's also fit perfectly in my P-90 covers.
So anyway, I made all the "hot" wires black and all the grounds red. Yeah, like I said, not really a standard, but at least I know what goes where.
I also like to put most of the grounds together somewhere other than the back of the pots. That's why the three with the heat shrink are there. The long red wire going over the top is for the bridge ground. It looks something like this when it's installed.
Looks like I need a little more polishing
Eventually you have to solder something near the body. The shields from the PU's & the bridge ground go to the pot grounds, which go to the switch. That's all one solder joint under the red heat shrink. Then the PU leads get soldered to the switch...
...and the two wires to the jack.
Love me some heat shrink. Especially around the jack.
Never actually soldered anything IN the control cavity. But this is how it looks.
Dang it! Now I need to finish the nut before I can try it out.
Got everything finished and set up. The PU's are really, really nice. Thanks Rob! Don't have much else to say, so without further ado....
The Foundation sporting clays shoot is this weekend in Lafayette. Hopefully they'll raise as much or more than they did last year. Thank you to everyone that contributed comments & ideas. And again, thank you Rob for some amazing pickups.
Man, it doesn't get any better than that!
Home run, good sir. Home run.
Beautiful , very classy looking with the black hardware .
Well done sir! A truly worthy cause.
Awesome, one of a kind.
This is really amazing !!!
My best compliments for this piece of art !
Can I just hang out with you for say.......10yrs or so
I'm a sucker for black hardware.
Makes me feel good.
Umm.......sure. If you clean my house.
Thanks everyone for the nice complements.