Found used 70th anniversary Broadcaster Owners Opinions Wanted

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by teleplayer99, Aug 9, 2020.

1. teleplayer99

teleplayer99 Tele-Meister

This instrument described as very good condition by online dealer I have good past with. Have read positive reviews...would greatly appreciate info from owner's. Playability, quality, sound pre and post adding capacitor. And since have always loved Fender's and the Broadcaster's history, I am interested in player's viewpoints of this being a keeper. Its should be here Wednesday. I know this is old news here, but have only recently picked up electrics.

Thanks,

Anthony

RhythmFender likes this.
  2. Joe M

Joe M Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    As I asked in your other post in a different thread, if your dealer told you it's a 2019 model, I'm pretty sure he's wrong. I'm almost positive Fender didn't release these till 2020. Hopefully someone else will verify this.

As far as your question, whether or not it's a keeper, it's really up to you. I had one of the production models and, even though I thought it was a nice guitar, just didn't bond with it so I traded it in on the CS version, and couldn't be happier. There are many that are very happy with the production models so, as always, YMMV. You've got to be the one to decide.

VillainSean and nicknklv like this.
  3. teleplayer99

Was just about to write for everyone to ignore post that is impossible for you to answer. You are absolutely correct about 2020 release. I will find out Wednesday. Its got to have a good feel, and that is different for everyone. Been playing with best friend for 58 years, and we have agreed never to grow up. No matter how many I get, it remains exciting!

4. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I've been real happy with mine since I received it back in February. I play it just about every day.
    The neck feels good, and the pickups sound great. Mine weighs in at 7 lbs. Good luck with yours. :cool:

Dismalhead likes this.
  5. pedalcr8z

pedalcr8z Tele-Meister

I've owned 2 Nocasters and I can wholeheartedly say outside of the slightly thicker neck on the Nocaster you are splitting hairs between the two including fit and finish although I prefer the NC pick ups slightly. It's a bargain at $1500.00 less $!!!

6. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I like it a lot. The neck on mine is .88 at the first fret, 1.00 with generous shoulders. So it feels like a good handful. The fretboard edges are very rolled. It needed some tweaking out of the box and I continue to dial it in. Not really like I need to, but because it's fun to do. The neck had a finish that was a draggy, but was less of an issue over time. I have since scotchbrited mine and when it glossed back up from play, it was slicker.

I really like the wood selection, lots of nice grain on mine and others that I've seen. Mine is 7 1/2 pounds and very lively in-hand. Sound is subjective and hard to describe but I find the pickups very balanced. I like the neck PU clean but I don't think that it sounds good run wide open with distortion. Backing off the volume helps immensely in smoothing out the sound. Whereas the bridge PU isn't fussy at all and I find it hard to get a bad sound out of it.

7. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Holic

I just got one about a week ago and can honestly say it’s quickly becoming my favorite Tele. The pickups are unreal.

The neck didn’t take as much getting used to as I expected. The thicker profile and smaller radius seems to have the same net amount of neck in the hand as a modern C, just distributed differently, if that makes sense.

Dismalhead likes this.
  8. Bedroom Thrasher

Bedroom Thrasher TDPRI Member

They can still have a 2019 serial number as production began in 2019. The one that Trogly reviewed has a 2019 serial number.

gwjensen likes this.
  9. teleplayer99

Pretty great reviews. You all sound pretty excited about this one. I like buying used since its already depreciated and I can hopefully play it for free, If I decide its not a fit. Gotta love the history and the telegram/note from Gretsch to change the name. All in all a very interesting instrument. This is fun and the one that has the most fun wins(as far as I know).

10. DrBeezus

DrBeezus Tele-Meister

I have both the prod version and the CS version. They both suck. I changed the pups in both, still suck. They are no different than an American Original 50's just says "Broadcaster".

11. Sea tea

Sea tea TDPRI Member

Love mine. Just under 8lbs and really sings. Probably could use a professional set up at some point but it intonates and plays great as is.
    Enjoy.

Electric Warrior likes this.
  12. teleplayer99

Joe M you are correct. I was going by the ad at the sh0p that said 2019. Mine is great.

13. nick79

nick79 TDPRI Member

I’m very happy with mine, since I got it I’ve barely picked my other guitars up.

Electric Warrior likes this.
  14. Sea tea

Sea tea TDPRI Member

BTW. Had mine setup by a local luthier and it is even better. The high E string nut slot is cut a little close to the edge- but a small adjustment has made it much more comfortable to play. The set up also included some kind of “wax” on the neck that never feels sticky but is smooth. I’m very happy I did this and suggest that anybody with a new Fender have it set up.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.