Found some reasonably priced tubes.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
NO AFFILIATION WITH SELLER.

Just a heads up. Last time I went looking for a pair of EL84s was a couple months ago. Seems like everyone wanted $70-$80 bucks for a matched pair. And that was for cheap ones.

I just looked again today and found these. In stock. Or so it says. So I ordered them. I didn’t poke around a lot, but I did a little. These seem to be less expensive than anything else I could easily find right now.

74C5749E-BB33-4D09-9AE0-F061A1E4D9A6.jpeg

Wally

Telefied
Ad Free Member

fwiw, this price is just a few dollars above the wholesale price.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I just checked em out and looks like they don't have any now :eek: Or maybe I'm not looking at the right place? NewOldSounds right?

Here’s a link to the page I found while doing a search. Hopefully I didn’t screw something up or just find an archived page or something. I really don’t understand computers. I hope I get my tubes. Lol. My Engl is getting all squishy.

Wally

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Good to see prices come back to reality.

well, shipments come in and allow distributors to sell at Those prices that will not allow a dealer to make any money. When that shipment/supply dries up, then those with tubes available are not wanting to turn loose of their remaining supply at giveaway prices.
before this last shipment came in a few weeks ago, I had more matched quads of certain power tubes than perhaps any seller in the U.S. Hey, the importer/distributor didn’t have any, dig? The major distributors had none. Supply and demand. I hold on to my supply so as to provide tubes for my customers. I don’t give them away. Therefore, when I need them to keep someone working to make their living, I have the tubes. The price has increased with every new shipment that comes in. It is a shocking revelation to compare the old wholesale prices to the next shipment!

Wally

Telefied
Ad Free Member
NO AFFILIATION WITH SELLER.

Just a heads up. Last time I went looking for a pair of EL84s was a couple months ago. Seems like everyone wanted $70-$80 bucks for a matched pair. And that was for cheap ones.

I just looked again today and found these. In stock. Or so it says. So I ordered them. I didn’t poke around a lot, but I did a little. These seem to be less expensive than anything else I could easily find right now.

View attachment 1014715
IF I were to order Apex matching without burn-in and sold them at this price, I would make a 33% profit…..minus a bit for shipping which would be spread across whatever else I was ordering. I can live with that….but…I pay for Apex pay for Apex matching and a burn-in. The burn-in minimizes the possibility that the first hours of usage at operating temps will cause a drift in the tubes’ operational parameters.

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
well, shipments come in and allow distributors to sell at Those prices that will not allow a dealer to make any money. When that shipment/supply dries up, then those with tubes available are not wanting to turn loose of their remaining supply at giveaway prices.
before this last shipment came in a few weeks ago, I had more matched quads of certain power tubes than perhaps any seller in the U.S. Hey, the importer/distributor didn’t have any, dig? The major distributors had none. Supply and demand. I hold on to my supply so as to provide tubes for my customers. I don’t give them away. Therefore, when I need them to keep someone working to make their living, I have the tubes. The price has increased with every new shipment that comes in. It is a shocking revelation to compare the old wholesale prices to the next shipment!
Hey! I get it…cut out the major tube maker from the market, the prices go up.

Who is filling the current demand besides JJ’s?

Wally

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Oh….odd thing…the last duet of JJ EL84s cost me a bit more than the same tube would cost me today????? Whadahey?? All of the other tubes do not show this decrease in my cost??? A quad of JJ6L6s show an increase of $10 for my cost. Volatile market….

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
Oh, I stopped buying tubes from Russia over a decade ago. I have never bought Chinese tubes.
I’ve got a neat stash of Soviet and Slovak tubes for the power sections. My preamp stash has some Philips, English Mullard and some JJ’s. I’ll never play enough to use them all. My stash will outlive these amps.

wildschwein

Friend of Leo's
I just go with Eurotubes nowadways but there's a sticky over on TGP that lists a lot of tube sellers -- it may be a little out of date now. Doesn't mean prices will be good but there is a load of places to check out:

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Bought a second pair today!

Musician’s Friend called me. Left a message that said I had points about to expire. I didn’t know I had points. I don’t remember the last time I bought anything from MF. But I called them back. Turns out it was $36 worth of points?!? That got me another nice pair of tubes for $15. Including tax. Might as well have backups.

They’re the GT EL84S. Which as far as I can tell are GT branded JJ’s.

I should be good to go for a while now.

GorgeousTones

Tele-Meister

^^Those are new, current production matched el84’s for 19$ even.. They’re one of the many different names of re-branded/marketed valves from the Russian Reflektor plant (Ie; Sovtek, Grv Tubes, E. Harmonix, Mullard, Tung-Sol, Svetlana…) But many folks find these equal to JJ or even prefer them.

But be careful purchasing replacement audio parts & spares through “listing“ or auctioneers style website online sellers & dealers (eBay, webstore, Bonanza, etc..) Far too often poor quality qc spares, fakes, and used items labeled as brand new condition.. With the very highest frequency occurring in things like rare model KOT/Klon diodes & vintage Bjt’s, specifically spe’d n-channel Fets & Ge transistors, And especially vacuum tubes!

*Of course Reverb is still far more trustworthy, reputable, and safe compared with those I mentioned. However, It’s not like it was 4-5yrs ago when you could safely assume most of the items you were seeing on Reverb were listings posted by people like us here and other Musicians & individuals who would make 2-3 sales a year max.. Now it’s beginning to attract big corporate retailers & attracting the attention of disingenuous people..