Found old looking tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Dale W, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Dale W

Dale W TDPRI Member

I’ve got the strings shipping now. All I have is acoustic strings around here. One storage unit had three guitars. One tele, a Ibanez electric and a funky looking little Mexico made gig acoustic.

ChickenKiller and dlew919 like this.
  2. Dale W

Dale W TDPRI Member

thanks for the info

3. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Meister

Sure. No problem. Reverb.com, Sweetwater.com, even Amazon.

Dale W likes this.
  4. Dale W

Dale W TDPRI Member

I really appreciate all the help folks. I’ll get this telecaster all fixed up with y’all’s help. Pics to come

5. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Congrats on the find!

Actually this is probably more correct - it's most likely a 1990 model.

@Dale W From what I've pieced together as a timeline the serial numbers for the American Standards ran like this:

• E3/E4 - used from the start of the American Standards in 1987 through about the middle of 1988 (more on this below)
    • E8 - used from roughly July 1988 - fall of 1989
    • E9 - used from the fall of 1989 to fall of 1990
    • N9 - screw up as this should be "1999" - because of how the decals were made at that time they switched to the "letters" part of the decal with the "N" for "1990s" while still using up the 6-digit number decals that began with a "9" (i.e. "9xxxxx"). Used from fall 1990 until some point in 1991
    • N0 - part of 1991
    • N1 - rest of 1991/part of 1992
    Fender doesn't get to changing the decals in January/February of a given year until more like 1995.

Regarding the use of E3 ("1983") and E4 ("1984") decals for American Standards - going back to when Fender was owned by CBS they brought out new models in April 1983 - a "Standard" model and an "Elite" model - that simply were not good sellers. They didn't really ever use E4 (1984) headstock decals in 1984; they were still using the E3 (1983) decals through 1984. They didn't use up the E3 decal set; there were some left when CBS shut down production and prepared to sell the company at the end of 1984. A few E4 decals were used on some limited edition "Standard" series models so virtually all the E4 (1984) decals were unused. The new owners of Fender, Fender Musical Instruments Company (or FMIC) did not put the "Standard" and "Elite" series into production (they only put the Vintage Reissue models back into production - once they had set up their factory in Corona CA as they did not purchase the older factory in Fullerton CA) so they had these unused headstock decals in the parts that were purchased in the sale. When they put their new American Standard designs into production toward the end of 1986 they chose to use up those decals with the E3 and E4 serial numbers that were in the parts bin.

Telecaster88, Dale W and Fretting out like this.
  6. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

Yes to both-although best to buy the knobs in pairs; the shapes, knurling coarseness, tops and heights vary. The American Standard has flat-topped knobs I believe, from memory.

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Congrats!

If you find you can play it as is, sure that's fine if you want to hold off on having a tech look at it. Once the strings are replaced, the most important aspect of your sound will be your amp anyway. I don't know how hot it had been getting in that unit, nor how much water was seeping in. Despite the neck being mighty thin in section, hopefully the well designed truss rod will save the day. Coming upon a surprise guitar, I'd be nervous about loose or damaged frets, or twist in the neck itself.

But you're making me chuckle, talking about driving 40 miles to get into Dallas. I drove 395 miles yesterday, and had already forgotten about it this morning. But since doing business in person is complicated, let me recommend Darren Riley over in eastern North Carolina. He's got access to Fender parts some others can't find. I've probably placed 18-20 orders with him. Check it out.

ChickenKiller and Dale W like this.
  8. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

That's a very nice early 90s American standard.

Dale W likes this.
  9. Dale W

Dale W TDPRI Member

John C likes this.
  10. Dale W

Dale W TDPRI Member

It was at least 110f in that storage unit the day I found it. The previous owners/renters had not paid there rent or opened the unit in 15 months. All 3 guitars were laying face up on the deck of a boat. The neck looks good and flat. The only heat damage I can see, the back(black) pickup is warped looking.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  11. Dale W

Dale W TDPRI Member

I hate driving in the city. My ole’ Chevy truck has a 454 and at 8 miles to the gallon I don’t do a lot of road- tripping!

ChickenKiller and boris bubbanov like this.
  12. Dale W

Dale W TDPRI Member

I ordered a pair of knobs and a switch tip from amazon today . Yes,, flat top knobs

Fretting out and ChickenKiller like this.
  13. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I hear you.

Often, when we headed out from New Orleans to the mountains of Colorado via US 287, we would pass through Dallas at 2:00 AM. So easy to lose time; you can't really relax until you're clear of Denton.

Dale W likes this.
  14. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Holic

1) Is that the complete serial #?
    2) If not, did you go to the Fender link and put the entire serial # in?

15. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Fender doesn't have data going back beyond 1993 for their serial number lookup; this one is a 1989-90 so it won't be in their database.

Also back then it was 5 digits after the letter/number for the year, so the 1989 numbers were E9xxxxx. Fender didn't go with the 6 digits after the letter/number for the year until either 1991 or 1992.

Digiplay, Dale W and beagle like this.
  16. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Tele-Meister

Congrats on a great find. Hope she plays well after cleaning.

Dale W likes this.
  17. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

@Dale W
    South Dallas guy here, congrats on the find!

Take a look at this video when you go to string that puppy up.

He is stringing up a strat but it is pretty much the same with the tele. Make sure you get enough winds on the peg heads and the break angle from the nut is about the same on all the strings. That will help with string tension. Also you can put some number 2 pencil graphite in the nut slots since it probably hasn't been done in a while.

You can also check the set up of the neck with some videos on You Tube. I would string it up to tension and let it set for a while and then check the specs of the distance between the strings and the first fret and the string and the twelth fret with what Fender says it should be. The neck should be pretty straight at that point.

enjoy!

18. Dale W

Dale W TDPRI Member

Thanks for the info!

19. JJLC

JJLC Tele-Meister

22 fret isn't old

20. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nice find, congrats.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.