1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Found in dump (true story)

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by dschuetze, Dec 6, 2015.

1. dschuetze

dschuetze TDPRI Member

I do repairs and setups in a music store in Powell River and I heard rumours of a guy finding a Tele in the dump. He finally came into the store wanting a setup done and sure enough it is true. He saw a guitar case at the dump and thought he'd grab it but when he did it was kind of heavy so he opened it up and inside was a MIJ Fender Telecaster. Apparently it had been in a leaky attic and had been wet. The nut and the frets are all short because the neck has swelled, and the headstock is kind of cloudy from the humidity. I did a basic setup to get started. It has a 5-way switch and a non-lipstick neck pickup but pretty nice sound. The switch wouldn't work on the neck alone so I pulled it apart and it's pretty rusty. I don't know what the letters beside the Logo are but they seem original. The back of the neck says "Made in Japan" and the serial number is on the bridge.
    I just wanted to share this true story.

Attached Files:

2. max_twang

max_twang Tele-Afflicted

The letters you can't make out are "JD" -- that's for Jerry Donahue. The guitar is the Japanese version of the Jerry Donahue custom shop guitar.

The wiring is pretty unusual, and if you want to rewire it to factory spec with a new switch, there's info here on TDPRI, and in other placed on the internet.

They are very nice guitars -- I have a couple of them, and they were my main instruments when I was in a gigging band for about 5 years.

3. harold h

harold h Friend of Leo's

Dan Auerbach used to play one.

4. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

Cool story.Those JD model Teles were made by Fender Japan in the 1990s and are a bit of a rare model.The stock Strat neck pickup was intended to provide more Strat type tones to a Tele.As many can attest,the Japanese Fenders of that era were great guitars so it amazes me that someone would throw that in the trash....crazy!!

5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Good to see that one saved.

It may never sound quite like it used to, but it still has a lot of worth in it.

We can only wish the guitars in Katrina looked anything like that good. Alas, the amount of destruction on those was normally far worse as the substance they were exposed to was nothing as benign as rainwater.

6. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's

Cool story. Maybe the neck will shrink back down, but I'd still be leery of it.

Nice guitar.

7. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Candidate for a slide guitar?

8. bigjed

bigjed Tele-Holic

I found an 1880s Dobson Silver Bell Patent Banjo on a rubbish pile once

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

I would replace the neck if it turns out to be unplayable and do whatever needs to be done to the electronics. With a story like that you just HAVE to get that guitar going again!

10. the embezzler

the embezzler Tele-Holic

Great story. I was borrowing one of these for a while and my favorite thing about it was the neck profile. IMHO it's the best thing about the guitar.

11. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Afflicted

Wow, great story.

Please let us know how this story ends. I mean after a reasonable drying out period to allow the frets 'to grow' a little, and anything else that given time may revert to being closer to original.

P.S. Just a thought. Send it to Alberta .... it's much dryer here and especially in winter ... ;)

Should do it a world of good!

I could bring it back when we visit Comox, on the Island, this coming summer ...... honest!

12. dschuetze

dschuetze TDPRI Member

I'll post again if the guys wants the rest of the work done. That makes sense that the Strat neck pickup is tock because the pick guard fits it perfectly. The weird thing about the neck swelling so much is that it still fits in the pocket. You would think that the restraint of the pocket would not let it swell at that point. Thanks for the offer to take it to Alberta, very selfless thinking .Lol.

13. Caffeine Patrol

Caffeine Patrol Tele-Afflicted

Somebody gave me a Squier Strat out of a dumpster a couple of months ago. I was leaving a bluegrass jam, and walked past some guys who were moving into a house (this is a college town). One of the guys saw me carrying a guitar case and asked if I wanted a guitar they'd found in the house. Naturally your heartbeat quickens a little when you hear that and you hope it's going to be one of those Deke Dickerson stories...but it was a highly messed up yet not beyond hope red Squier Strat. At first I checked around to see if any friends' kids needed a first electric; there were no takers, so now I'm thinking about making some kind of Coodercaster out of it.

14. Zipslack

Zipslack Tele-Meister

Have you considered taking off the neck and packing it in rice to help draw out the moisture?

15. jammers5

jammers5 Tele-Afflicted

I bet it was an insurance claim and the salvage was deemed unsellable.

16. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Best I've ever found at a dump was a Boss Flanger

17. old soul

old soul Tele-Meister

Cool story

18. RobertZohn

RobertZohn TDPRI Member

Apparently there is a reason Fender puts this sticker on the neck plates of new guitars...:) Unbelievable..

[​IMG]

19. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Better than rice is a bunch of those Silicone Dioxide packets you might see in electronics shipments. Bake them in the oven for a few hours at 200deg F then put the packets in a plastic bag sealed around the guitar.

Great rescue story!

I have a similar storied lost puppy retrieved from the dump by the uncle of the previous owner. Mine is only an Affinity Squier though. When I got it the whole thing was a bag of parts of an abandoned project.

Great find and glad to see it's getting back to playing!

20. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

In the early 70's I worked at a small music store outside Boston and one morning on the way to work I found a Jazz Bass in the trash.
    It had a cream / white body turttle shell pickguard, no strings or case plus it smelled like garbage.
    I took it to the shop, took it apart, cleaned it, got rid of the garbage smell, re strung it and got a case. It worked perfectly I didn't play bass so I sold it for $ 125-175 I think

True story

Gary

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.