1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Found another use for a pesky Affinity tele

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Musekatcher, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I got this tele 10 years ago. Great at most everything, but it just will not sing in the upper register like my better telecasters. I've tried everything from pups to electronics to neck joint fit, bridges, etc. It just won't sustain and chime like my fav #1 telecaster. And it currently has identical pups and electronics as my #1. No matter, I'm really happy with my #1.

But I finally decided its very worth keeping, as an example of what to look for and avoid, lol. I don't mean that in an insulting way. Its fine for a lot of uses, but for a little bit of gain, it just won't do it, where my other will. Think of the opening double stop guitar lick on Roll With The Changes. Great lick. Easily attainable on my #1, very deflating and feeble on the Affinity, dying away too soon. I still don't know what it is that holds it back? Could be a dead neck, dead body - really, I feel like I've isolated it to one of those two as the only remaining suspects using a process of elimination.

And I've got other guitars with the same issue, and I've got other guitars that sing. I just played a Les Paul re-issue that just sang. The owner is a prolific owner trader, and acknowledges some guitars sing, some don't.

I'll probably head out to look at gear with my son today. I'm noodling on this Affinity to get a feel before I head out. A feel for what I'm not looking for, lol.

StevesBoogie and tintag27 like this.
  2. capgun

capgun Tele-Meister

I was in GC the other day buying a looper. They had one of the Bullet Teles in blue in there. It was miles ahead of any Affinity I’ve ever played. I really want to like the Affinity, but the narrow neck puts me off. I may try to get one of the Bullets sometime, but right now my Paranormal Offset Tele has killed any desire for another guitar at this time.

Capgun

3. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Any mention of REO gets my attention! Great guitar work in RWTC!!

4. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Richrath was a shredder before that was even a word. Great player. Tragic life story.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.