Found an old friend.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Yesterday, I thought of an old friend I had not heard from in several years. For some reason I decided to do an internet search of his name, and low and behold I found a long, and well written obituary from a couple of years ago. They had a great pic of him, I strongly suspect his daughter wrote the obit, it was very long, and I'm sure expensive to publish. She was an editor/contributor to a well-known magazine based on the west coast for many years.

He was more than a friend, for a year he was my partner in business. We had hung out for several years and decided to go into business, we had a good run at our little business. A situation developed well beyond our control that necessitated ending our venture. We ended owing no one with hardly anything on the books owed to us. We had many adventures together, all up and down California both in the valley, and along the coast from Santa Barbara to San Francisco. He was a friend of our family in general.

Probably thirty years ago, maybe longer, he started kind of withdrawing from staying in any one spot for more than a short while. He gravitated from northern California to Colorado and beyond. He owned property in several places and liked to drift.

The last time I saw him was in the winter of 2006, he came by our place, and stayed all night, but was up and gone the next morning when I got up to get ready to go to work. We thought nothing of it, because that's just the way he was, one minute he'd be there, the next he was gone. I spoke to him a few times by phone after that, but never saw him again. I felt more than a little guilty last night after reading his obit, that I had not tried harder to reach out to him. He lived a good long life, he was thirteen years older than me, and died just a couple of months short of his ninetieth birthday.

Goodbye old friend, it was my distinct pleasure to have known you.

TD

Nightclub Dwight

Friend of Leo's
Sorry for the loss of your friend. It sounds like reading his obit touched your heart none the less. You have to appreciate people who live life on their own terms. Fewer and fewer people can pull that off.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
One thing nice about to day is you can find some of them you never could years back. I often think on some of them I can't find...
I believe I actually found through an internet search where my dad was buried up in Washington state. My wife asked if I wanted for us to make a trip up there to visit his gravesite. It seems he died back in 1962, so after thinking it over long and hard, I thanked her for the offer, but decided I did not want to make the trip.

In 1997 I made a trek to Alabama and found one of my cousins who knew where my brother was buried who died before I was born. We went to the cemetery found where my Grandpa was buried, then found that my brother since he was infant when he passed was buried at the foot of his grave. (A custom of the day) It was a sobering experience, I'm sure it was similar to what I would have felt at my father's final resting place.

Deeve

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I've got mixed feelings about looking up lost connections (in my case) but I understand how much it meant to know what happened to your old biz partner.
Peace - Deeve

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
When I first knew my friend, we used to go have a cup of coffee up on the highway, harmlessly flirt with the waitress, and have heated discussions about the latest Tom Mccahill article in Mechanics Illustrated. Time ran on a different track back then.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Yesterday, I thought of an old friend I had not heard from in several years. For some reason I decided to do an internet search of his name, and low and behold I found a long, and well written obituary from a couple of years ago. They had a great pic of him, I strongly suspect his daughter wrote the obit, it was very long, and I'm sure expensive to publish. She was an editor/contributor to a well-known magazine based on the west coast for many years.

He was more than a friend, for a year he was my partner in business. We had hung out for several years and decided to go into business, we had a good run at our little business. A situation developed well beyond our control that necessitated ending our venture. We ended owing no one with hardly anything on the books owed to us. We had many adventures together, all up and down California both in the valley, and along the coast from Santa Barbara to San Francisco. He was a friend of our family in general.

Probably thirty years ago, maybe longer, he started kind of withdrawing from staying in any one spot for more than a short while. He gravitated from northern California to Colorado and beyond. He owned property in several places and liked to drift.

The last time I saw him was in the winter of 2006, he came by our place, and stayed all night, but was up and gone the next morning when I got up to get ready to go to work. We thought nothing of it, because that's just the way he was, one minute he'd be there, the next he was gone. I spoke to him a few times by phone after that, but never saw him again. I felt more than a little guilty last night after reading his obit, that I had not tried harder to reach out to him. He lived a good long life, he was thirteen years older than me, and died just a couple of months short of his ninetieth birthday.

TD
Sorry about your friend, TD.
In a way, I envy that you had such a good friend, even though you lost touch.
I've had "friends" in the past......but none that sound as close as the one you had.
Sounds like he had a good run (at almost ninety) though.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Sorry about your friend, TD.
In a way, I envy that you had such a good friend, even though you lost touch.
I've had "friends" in the past......but none that sound as close as the one you had.
Sounds like he had a good run (at almost ninety) though.
For the first twenty years that we knew each other, we were inseparable. He, and his first wife (he would eventually have three) were my neighbors. Both of them treated me as good as gold. It was only when I started driving truck that we kind of drifted apart. I was on the road all the time. I let him ride along with me a few times, and he got his class one, but only drove for a short while. Structure was just not for him. He was a good horse trader though, and knew how to make a buck, so he always got by. One of the best all-around mechanics I ever knew.

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity

TD
Sorry for your Loss.
~ST