Found An Injured Robin. What To Do, If Anything?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Stringbanger, Apr 7, 2020.

1. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

First of all, don’t ask on the Telecaster board. Ask on wildlife, bird, vet, animal rehab boards.

General guidelines, keep the animal contained, warm and dry, and give it water, air, food and the opportunity to go into light or dark areas of its enclosure as it chooses. You should only have to hand feed an animal if it's a baby. Immediately contact local certified wildlife rehabilitators. Do not contact animal control/Humane Society/whatever. They don’t give a ****, and mainly just show up to collect and kill animals. Wildlife rehabilitators are independent people who have been licensed by the state to rehab and release wild animals – not to "control" wild animals. They not only have more medical knowledge, but they also try a lot harder to actually save animals than do government animal control services.

Then, start doing your research online. Chances are that even if you find a rehabber who will take the bird, you will have to float it for a day or two.

Difficulty hopping could be something that’s easily recoverable in the grand scheme of things, and it is definitely worth trying in this case, in my opinion. I have rehabilitated and released far uglier birds from worse injuries.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    61fury likes this.
  2. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

I had a sneaky suspicion dat dem funny boys would soon be com in’ outa da woodwork!:p

985plowboy likes this.
  3. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

It’s neither dove (yum, yum yum) or pigeon (squabb is not awful). So, I don’t have any idea of whether you could get enough from a robin breast to be worth the effort.

Stringbanger likes this.
  4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Stringbanger likes this.
  5. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Unless, perhaps, you had 20 or so. Hmmm?

6. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

I’m stunned none of the knuckleheads/kooks has suggested to make use of a squirrel catapult - just cuz !

Those robins are pests and they have it coming ! :mad:

Stringbanger likes this.
  7. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Afflicted

Robins eat seeds. Very small seeds. Just bought a big bag full today. Apple, blueberries, crushed peanuts (not salted) & raisins. And a little water.

Keep it warm if it's in shock.

Stringbanger likes this.
  8. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

Actually, we normally wait on Doves until we have a couple of dozen, then grill them up for appetizers. Pretty tasty with a dry rub and bacon wrapped.

Stringbanger likes this.
  9. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Holic

With the current global pandemic, I wouldn't touch it.

Stringbanger likes this.
  10. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

We all want to help something when we see it not making it. My wife and have tried a number of times to save birds, it always ends not turning out well. The worst was little Tommie the dove, we nursed it from when it fell out of the tree in our backyard. It loved my wife, and that was its downfall. The little dove finally got big enough to fly, and did so one day when my wife was walking around in the backyard. Little Tommie would fly out of its bird cage and land on my wife's shoulder, and sit there as she tended her flowers and small garden. That day Tommie flew up in a tree and sat there for the longest time, we thought she would be on her way.

We went into the house, and we came outside again, Tommie flew down from the tree and landed on momma's shoulder, and she never left again. We were always careful to keep her bird cage closed, when we weren't with Tommie, but one day we were doing the lawns, and Tommie flew out front, and a cat got her. The woman next door found Tommie mangled but living, and thought it was just an ordinary bird, and took the bird from the cat and took it around to the park nearby. As soon as we found out what had happened, we looked all through the park but alas to no avail, Tommie was gone. That was almost twenty years ago, and it still breaks my heart to look back on that time. Just as a dog can bring a lot of pleasure though, little Tommie gave us many hours of pleasure.

John Backlund and Stringbanger like this.
  11. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Call Batman. He’ll know what to do.

Stringbanger likes this.
  12. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

Years ago a featherless baby robin fell out of her nest. We raised her to adulthood, feeding her worms. We would let her out to fly around. She would come back, until one day when she was big enough and brave enough to strike out on her own.

John Backlund and Stringbanger like this.
  13. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

Stringbanger and superjam144 like this.
  14. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Ms. Nutz and I hand fed a baby sparrow that had been kicked out of the nest with a deformed claw ... 30+ years ago when we lived in a log cabin ...

I was managing a bicycle shop and racing, and rode home over lunch (uphill, both ways; great training) to feed her ... called her Charlie (bird; get it?) ...

Stayed with us for a year ... let her out of her cage and she'd follow us around the house, pecking at our ankles, sitting in our laps, pooping on us ...

The next spring, we were gardening and she was outside, in her cage ... a male came up and sat beside her for awhile ... after he left, she started slamming herself against the side of the cage ... we decided to let her go, and she flew so high and far ...

That night, it thunderstormed ... cried like babies we did ...

Stringbanger likes this.
  15. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The wildlife re-habbers normally are all tied up, trying to save owls, hawks, eagles and so forth. Some rare, smaller birds.

These robins are ridiculously abundant. The competition to survive in the scrum, is brutal. My sense is that this bird is behind the eight ball, and the probability of catching up and beating out the competition, is quite slim.

Stringbanger likes this.
  16. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Good for you attempting to help, and I sure hope it goes well. There's lots of good information on the internets about what to do, and not do, if you decide to care for a wild bird.

Couple years ago, my girlfriend and her kids found a downed nest in our back yard. Two of three baby birds had perished, but Ashley brought the survivor in and cared for it several days, feeding it with a dropper.

We thought at first it was a starling, but later discovered it was a baby blue jay.

Fortunately, it turns out Texas Parks and Wildlife has a number to call if one finds a wild bird in distress. We were referred a couple times, made a bunch of calls, and finally found a rehabber lady in the "network" that agreed to take him. Far as we know, he survived and was released as soon as possible.

Oh, and on the way to his new halfway house, "Petrie" got to attend our son's indoor soccer game. He couldn't see much from his box, though--and didn't seem much of a fan anyway.

3659.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    esseff and Stringbanger like this.
  17. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Holic

We live in a wooded area and have a large picture window on the back of the house. We've had a couple of beautiful cardinals run into it. Usually, they're just stunned for a couple of hours and then they're gone. I assume they get their **** together and fly away, but I suppose it is possible one of the feral cats in the area carry them off. The day before yesterday, I saw a beautiful cardinal motionless in the back yard... still there yesterday. Haven't checked today.

Stringbanger likes this.
  18. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Meister

Angels.

Stringbanger likes this.
  19. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Meister

Stringbanger likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.