Found an amp for my balcony

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by stratoman1, Oct 17, 2021.

1. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've been wanting an amp I can take out on the balcony for awhile. I had a first generation Blackstar 20 watt but it was really just too big, too bulky and kinda too loud. Tried a Boss katana just so I didn't have to take a delay pedal with me, love me some delay. But the Katana just wasn't getting it done for me. Just sounded kinda processed. Price was right though.

But being a Blackstar fan the HT5 was going to be a contender anyway. And thats what I got. Sounds pretty much like the HT20 MKII I have. So thats a good thing. The 4-12 sim is a nice touch too

20211016_125208.jpg 20211016_125154.jpg

2. Lone_Poor_Boy

Lone_Poor_Boy Tele-Holic

That's a lotta knobs for a small amp. Good for versatility.

Flip G and nojazzhere like this.
  3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Looking at those two channels, I got curious about the tube complement. I figured that the input stage for the ‘clean’ and probably the also for the OD were one triode of the 12AX7…with the other triode being the driver for the output tube. Not even…..almost all of the preamp is solid state with the 12AX7 following all of those two channels. Fooled me, eh?

nojazzhere likes this.
  4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Is this a somewhat similar idea to the Vox amp I once owned, that used a 12AX7, not as a pre-amp tube, but to run the signal through to "simulate" a tube amp. I wasn't impressed with it at all.

5. stratoman1

It sounds a lot like the MKII HT20. I have two of those, so yeah, I like those. Same layout except no master volume. But at 5 watts I dont think thats a real issue. It also switches down to 1/2 watt as well

6. stratoman1

Here's the tube setup. Not sure what the power tube is. I haven't looked at a chart but im not familiar with that designatio

Here's the tube layout. Not sure what the power tube is. Never seen that designation before. I'll find a chart later

20211017_170421.jpg

7. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

The 12BH7 is the power tube…..or one triode of it is. The other triode is probably the driver. The triodes in the 12AX7 are in the last stage of the preamp.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.