Found a vintage Wen "All Saw"

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
I finally got around to cleaning out the bottom compartment of my dad's old craftsman tool chest. By the way he passed away back in 2008, so it's not a recent thing.

Found three old jigsaws, but this is the most unique. I think it was made in the early 50s, and they called it an All Saw because it can take longer blades than regular jigsaws. I don't think you can get the blades for them anymore. Surprisingly, I plugged it in and it still works! Probably will look pretty cool once I clean it up.

Attachments

• 20220118_152540.jpg
    20220118_152540.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 20220118_152946.jpg
    20220118_152946.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 20220118_154919.jpg
    20220118_154919.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 40

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I had an old Craftsman all aluminum Jig Saw. It was a great saw. Much less vibration than the newer plastic one I have. Blade stayed on track far better also.

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
I had an old Craftsman all aluminum Jig Saw. It was a great saw. Much less vibration than the newer plastic one I have. Blade stayed on track far better also.
The old ones were just built better, better bearings, everything about them. However comparing that to my cordless jigsaw, is quite a bit of difference in size!

Check out this cool little hacksaw, I don't know who made it it just says HM. Very clever how the blade fits on and tensions. You don't need any tools.

Attachments

• 20220118_162337.jpg
    20220118_162337.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 20220118_162348.jpg
    20220118_162348.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
That is cool!

Closest experience I have to something like that was inheriting my grandpa’s old Craftsman circular saw, which was all aluminum (magnesium?) and was from the mid-late 60s.

I used it for several years, maybe even 10, and then the bearings started howling at roughly the same time I received a new Makita for my birthday, and I scrapped the Craftsman.

It was heavy, but had plenty of power and blade speed and the various depth and angle adjustments worked well. Sometimes I wish I’d hunted down the bearings and kept using it.

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
I love them. I have a few vintage tools, and would have more but I'm actively trying to not collect more stuff. I have too many collections already.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I finally got around to cleaning out the bottom compartment of my dad's old craftsman tool chest. By the way he passed away back in 2008, so it's not a recent thing.

Found three old jigsaws, but this is the most unique. I think it was made in the early 50s, and they called it an All Saw because it can take longer blades than regular jigsaws. I don't think you can get the blades for them anymore. Surprisingly, I plugged it in and it still works! Probably will look pretty cool once I clean it up.
Like you said....."The old ones were just built better, better bearings, everything about them."
My dad bought a Powr-Kraft radial arm saw from Montgomery Ward in the late-ish sixties. When two of my brothers opened a commercial cabinet shop in the mid-eighties, they used it along with a commercial model radial arm saw (don't know the brand....I'll try to find out) After several years, the commercial model wore out, while the Powr-Kraft continued for several more years of hard use. Many of those Monkey Ward and Sears tools were as good as they get. ;)

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
This thread has reminded me of a time I went by a friend’s house and he said “check out what I got on eBay,” and pulled out one of these:

Having grown up using the chainsaw version of that powerhead to cut firewood for my grandpa’s two wood stoves, I have to think in circular saw duty that engine should last approximately 400 years if the air filter is kept clean and the carb doesn’t drift lean.

The little unbaffled louvered exhaust stack would be tiresome and require hearing protection in a big way, but still, that is one (1) cool tool.

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
This thread has reminded me of a time I went by a friend’s house and he said “check out what I got on eBay,” and pulled out one of these:

Having grown up using the chainsaw version of that powerhead to cut firewood for my grandpa’s two wood stoves, I have to think in circular saw duty that engine should last approximately 400 years if the air filter is kept clean and the carb doesn’t drift lean.

The little unbaffled louvered exhaust stack would be tiresome and require hearing protection in a big way, but still, that is one (1) cool tool.

A gas powered circular saw, I want one! 😁