Found a nice Tortilla Press

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chet again, Jun 19, 2019.

1. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

The press is for shaping and flattening the tortilla, it still has to be cooked, or filled and rolled if making tamales (steamed).

And, you could use a neck for the lever...

Alamo likes this.
  2. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

No, by limon, I mean lemon...
    Lime is for pico de gallo :)... I sometimes use vinegar when I have no citrus...

3. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

Here ya go - sabrosas y ricas, mind the milling...

4. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Every time I tried to smoke catfish they kept going out. I must have been doing something wrong. Made my pipe smell bad, too.

teletimetx and edvard like this.
  5. chet again

chet again Tele-Holic

I never said that an empanada was originally from Mexico. I just said I was going to make a empanada with smoked catfish in one.

I got the idea from a famous chef from Montana named Eduardo Garcia. On a show he said that his father used to like to make fish tacos with whitefish in them. In the show he showed how he makes empanadas with smoked trout.

6. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Congratulations! I never said empanadas "originated" in Mexico, either. I was simply trying to make the point that empanadas are a common menu item in parts of South America. I don't pretend to know where they originated. From what I understand, empanandas are part of the Lenten menu in Mexico and yeah, stuffed with fish. But they don't use tortillas - they use a bread dough.

Just for clarity here, not a debate. If you want to make something with tortillas and call it an empanada, ain't no one stopping you. It's just that the people who eat them for a living might be slightly confused if someone presents them with a stuffed tortilla and calls it an empanada, famous chefs from Montana not withstanding.

But I have no idea what your plans are - maybe you'll be using some kind of pastry dough and just be using your new tortilla press for the stuffing operation. whatever.

and really, jimmy crack corn. I'm sure the smoked catfish will taste good - I'm partial to smoked fish myself and I wish you the best of luck with your adventure.

Georox likes this.
  7. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

To save on carbs we've started using a single fried egg for a tortilla. Works great.

These were a shrimp version with slaw and pickled onions. That is a little chipotle salsa mix on the side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. chet again

chet again Tele-Holic

Whatevah...

9. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Holic

You mean Farm and Fleet? We have them here on the other side of iowa. Gotta check and see if they have those presses.

10. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

Our local grocery store (HEB) sells a cast iron tortilla press for $19.97...

11. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Empanadas are, indeed, not "properly" made with tortillas. They are a pastry; they are made from dough.

Pretty much anything edible can go in one, or in a tortilla, without being weird.

...but they won't be empanadas if made with tortillas.

Well, maybe at Taco Bell...........

A folded over tortilla with stuff inside is simply a folded over tortilla with stuff inside. If there is cheese in there as a prominent ingredient, then it's a "quesadilla" (folded or not).

teletimetx likes this.
  12. chet again

chet again Tele-Holic

Take it up with Eduardo. As far as I'm concerned I'll be making empanadas. :)

13. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

Hopefully you can buy decent tortillas. They’re a pita to make and if you have some place nearby that makes good ones it ain’t worth the effort. IMO.

But, that depends on a good local maker that does them right. Or if you just really want to make your own. That’s fine too. I bought a press but I buy them now. Easier. They taste better too. But that’s only fairly recent here that they actually make them properly from corn they grind themselves rather than masa harina.

Masa harina is perfect for empanadas though. Or pupusas.

It’s all good Chet. Catch some catfish. Make something yummy!

Cheers,
    Geoff

14. Georox

Georox Tele-Afflicted

He's right you know.

15. Georox

Georox Tele-Afflicted

Save on carbs, have a beer.

rcole_sooner and teletimetx like this.
  16. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

There is Fleet Farm and there is Farm and Fleet. They are not the same though they stayed out of each others way until recently.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.