Found A New Drug!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by rolandson, Sep 19, 2019.

1. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Meister

You remember that feeling that comes when one hasn't played in a long time and there isn't any callous on the fingers?

I'm in heaven. Really.

The backstory:
    My life as a performing musician ended October 6, 2006 in the parking lot of a Sears where spouse and I had gone to buy a new oven. A trust fund nut job on a bicycle didn't like that we are a mixed race couple and decided to do something about it.

He started by running his bike into me and then circling back with a knife. My hand was broken by the initial collision and defending against the knife didn't do it any good either.

We survived, he went to prison for a brief while and after 18 months of physical therapy I was told that CT and MRI showed the damage permanent and not correctable.

I can putz, but I can't play at the level that those with whom I would regularly perform have a right to expect. So...I kinda melted into the background.

That's the backstory.

The pain as grown steadily worse over the last couple of years...arthritis setting in, just as they said. The past 6 months have been awful. I don't even putz anymore. Spouse is a clinician in a pain management practice...not even she could help.

Until the GP who treats me got tired of hearing me whine. Especially when friends are coming to town who want me to get on stage with them. I admit it. I'm a whiner. I was trying to talk her into recommending surgical implants of cartilage.

She gave me Celebrex and told me I could use it twice per month...
    (Yes, I am aware of the risks associated with this stuff.)

My finger tips hurt so effing much...it's wonderful!!!

jimilee, Fiesta Red, uriah1 and 10 others like this.
  2. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That's Awesome, enjoy every note!!!

Chunkocaster and rolandson like this.
  3. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

That’s awesome! Horrible back story and I’m so sorry to hear about that kind of backwards ignorance but that’s great to hear you’re getting freedoms from the stiffness and joint pain.

I’ve manage to acquire some joint trouble in my fretting hand which Probably has to do with many years working with my hands. Unrelated to that, every now and again I have to take Prednisone for a health problem. Whenever I do, the pain disappears from my hands and I can play super fast and accurately. It’s amazing going from one plateau to another where the limiter is removed.

Congrats. Enjoy your music again!

Chunkocaster and rolandson like this.
  4. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I don't understand. How long is the relief? Two days per month? Or is the pain largely gone now? And why can't you can't take it more frequently?

My CIDP has progressed and I've had increasing joint pain. Plaquenil helps a lot, but it messes with my heart rhythm. In fact, I've been in the ER all day for a rhythm anomaly, and I just got admitted for overnight observation.

Backstory sucks. Very sorry to hear such ... jerks... still walk the earth.

rolandson likes this.
  5. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Meister

The relief lasts about 10 hours. The FDA considered a "black box" warning for this stuff. About the same time an arthritis med called Vioxx got pulled off the market because it was causing heart issues. It worked wonders on the arthritis...then it killed ya.

So I'm limited to 2 doses per month or I run the risk of similar issues...

Dropping dead from a coronary. I get to choose the days I'm pain free.
    Oh. That totally sucks. I hope that you've a room of your own.

the "like" incidentally is out of respect rather than liking you're stuck in hospital.

Fiesta Red, awasson and moosie like this.
  6. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

No, shared room, but hopefully I go home tomorrow. And my neighbor is sleeping.

rolandson likes this.
  7. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

does ice packs not help?

rolandson likes this.
  8. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Meister

No. Makes it feel worse despite being good for the condition. Warm feels best.

My issue is the deterioration of the cartilage in the joint. There isn't any inflammation, just bone on bone disfigurement...and pain.

There's a surgical procedure that takes tissue from a tendon and replaces it, but it's only being done "well" in Chicago and insurance isn't keen on putting me up in a hotel while I wait for post operative treatment.

Of course there isn't any guarantee that I'd have any dexterity following such a procedure either...I.might be pain free but unable to bend my fingers. Sooo...

Two days a month is better than none.

awasson likes this.
  9. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

I'm so sorry to hear the story about your injury, but I'm very happy to hear about the gains that you are making. I hope that you are able to progress beyond one or two days of pain free playing per month. But if not, I hope that you get a world of enjoyment out of the time that you do get.

I'm not sure if it helps any, but I've noticed that, as I get older, I live with pain more and more as a regular part of my life. I'm sure it pales in comparison to what you're faced with, but please know that we all decline as we get older. So try not to get down on yourself, and live for the good moments.

rolandson likes this.
  10. Scooter91

Scooter91 Tele-Holic

I'm wrapping up a ten day course of Prednisone for an inflamed tendon and have noticed similar relief in my arthritic hands. Got to enjoy it while it lasts...
    I was with a Hispanic woman for about 3 years, and we caught a lot of flak from both sides, folks who didn't care for mixed couples. Luckily never any violence, sucks about your hand. Enjoy those sore fingertips!

awasson and rolandson like this.
  11. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

I'm glad to hear that you can play again, even if it's for a few days a month.

rolandson and aging_rocker like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.