1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Found a new console to bring home last night.

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by printer2, Dec 2, 2018.

1. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

Found it in a thrift store, did not want it as when I checked the two large tubes (6F6G and 5Y4G) I found it to be a SE amp. I have enough SE transformers and don't need another one. But the console looked cool.

[​IMG]

With swing out controls.

[​IMG]

A proper power transformer and a healthy sized OT, I decided to take it. It had no back or speaker remaining, a shame because some of these old ones sound great for guitar. I took the tube layout and started looking for Viking schematics. Found one that had the tube layout that matched. But wait, the schematic has a P-P amp and I think this one is SE? Went to check the metal tube that I thought was a preamp tube, it turned out to be a 6F6.

[​IMG]

So I did get a P-P amp, would not have thought twice about it in the store if I knew. And since it was tagged at 50% off how could I not take it. So 50% of $25, with tax under $15. Now what to do with it?

2. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Viking...Wasn’t that a house brand for Canadian retail giant Eaton’s?

Cool looking console.

3. Nickfl

Nickfl Friend of Leo's

Nice find! I've yet to find a PP console to harvest, it seems like almost all of them were SE or stereo SE in the later versions...

4. printer2

Yeah Eaton's.

SE is more common as they were cheaper and had enough power for the average person. I found another one with P-P years ago and bought it but I had to go get my trailer, in the space of an hour someone snatched the 6V6's and 5Y3 out of it. I was pissed and didn't take it then as I had a lot of 12V6's but no 6V6's. I regretted not taking it as it would have been worth getting it for the OT. This one made up for it.

I am going to put this cabinet aside, I may decide to overhaul it and use it as a radio. It has AM, FM and shortwave. We have a couple of college stations here so the fM band might be used. The SW position I could use as a guitar input. Or at least that is the theory at the moment. The 6F6's need a ton of signal to drive, I might use the 6K6's I have instead. The datasheet value for both in P-P is 10k for 10W. Loud enough for practicing.

5. printer2

$25, mouse droppings no charge.

[​IMG]

Skipping the PT, I have enough and it is a crappy style. The two are 8" side firing speakers and the little one is the tweeter. A OT and choke.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nickfl likes this.
  6. bigguy12321

bigguy12321 Tele-Meister

Those are some very clean speakers!!! When I find the mouse riddled ones, the little vermin use the cones first for the bedding.
    Nice find and save.

a

7. printer2

A surprise for sure. I will have to figure out the impedance of the secondary and if I can run the two 8"s off it. Would make a cool sort-of Vox AC10 twin, although 8".

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.