Found a great deal on a 50's Classic Tele, but.........

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by JDRNoPro, Oct 21, 2019.

1. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

…………..the neck is so ORANGE!!! I love the Classic Series line and have a wonderful white blonde 08 Esquire. Regret not picking up a particular 50's Tele I saw a few years ago. So....I came across a new 50's Classic Tele at a very good price - $200 under MAP for non- lacquer model. It is 2TSB with nicely matched body, and is a nice weight (I'd estimate around 7.5 lbs). I am soooo tempted to buy it - especially since the line has been replaced by the Vintera models. However, the neck is extremely orange color. Are all the recent ones like this? I didn't notice if the tag said it was a lacquer model, but the orange neck was the same overdone orange color as on Classic Series Jags I've seen. Maybe this Tele is a lacquer model.

I am still thinking about it, but not sure if I can get past that orange neck!

2. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I'm with you. I don't mind a mild vintage tint and I can adjust and be happy with anything from light sealer to a high gloss neck, as long as it feels good to me. But I can't deal with an overly fake neck tint. I turned away from a Classic Vibe recently because the neck was a very artificial looking bright yellow!

3. Mudman32

Mudman32 Tele-Meister

The orangness does fade some, at least on the lacquer model. I got one of the fender replacement necks for a partscaster build I did and was surprised at the color. It’s faded a bit in the past couple of months.

4. Mudman32

Mudman32 Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

Geo, havlma1, baiff and 1 other person like this.
  5. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

If the price is real nice, go for it.

Wear sunglasses while playing until it fades.

Or, buy a roasted maple neck and sell that one?

Sunglasses is easier. $5 and the orange is someone else's problem ;)

Play it aggressively and leave it where sunlight might fade it? The orange cant stay tangerine forever, right?

6. RYAN1987M

RYAN1987M Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I have a 2018 in White Blonde (non lacquer) and I don't find the neck orange at all. It is quite darkly tinted...but not orange. If anything, it almost looks roasted to me. Love it though!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

The 50s Classic Lacquer ones are "oranger" than the regular 50s Classic poly ones.

BorderRadio likes this.
  8. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Something very wrong with that neck, mine is not that shade at all....makes me wonder if it really is a Fender neck or not? I think I would have to remove the neck and check the heal to be sure before I made any offers.

(Edit: Posted before seeing the above post...he may be right, mine is the poly version)

9. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

My first Tele was a 50s Classic in poly, which I sent back for a Lacquer version. The neck color between the two is very distinct. The "Fender" decal is silver metallic on the poly version, and appears gold on the lacquer version. I say appears because it just might be the day-glow orange tint they added to the clear lacquer at the factory. This was like 2014-ish, and I had to literally wait for the lacquer to dry. It was worth it because I got a light one, like 6.5 pounds. But yeah, ORANGE neck. If faded some but it can't really go away, just darken, and the white blonde lacquer slightly mellowed out, but even if it turned butterscotch naturally in 50 years it'd still look weird to me.

I decided to sell it and work on that '58 AV. Successfully sold it and six months later learned they discontinued the AV line. DOH.

I should of just swapped in a fat neck, because it was also not as clubby as the poly version, plus I didn't want to mod it that far. I would see these at GC and always knew I bought at the right time, becuase that orange tint seemed to only get more intense.

10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

No me gusta la orange, too.
    My EJ Strat necks mighty orange, too.
    Oh well, it’s still a great guitar, with a great neck.

blueruins likes this.
  11. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

Thanks for the responses guys!

The neck on my 50s Esquire is the same shade as Ryan's Tele, which I like a lot. The neck on the Tele I'm looking at looks like Mudman's, except maybe more orange. If these pix are typical of the two models, then I think the one I saw is lacquer model not poly. Price is 650...….hmmmm…..

RYAN1987M likes this.
  12. Mudman32

Mudman32 Tele-Meister

Yep, that’s the color on the lacquer neck brand new. I’m pretty sure it’s faded a bit. I’ll have to take another photo.

13. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

I love a nicely ambered neck especially when it gets old.They tint it to mimic the look of how the original ones aged with time which looks amazing to me.Like this 1953 Tele:

[​IMG]

RadioFM74, baiff, gwjensen and 3 others like this.
  14. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

This is a lesser offending example, my ‘early’ 50s Classic, just before I sold it:

C122537A-20C2-4F60-AF0C-0E2D1288D3C0.jpeg

When I first bought it:

0B0B339A-0EB8-403D-BD4F-CB57EC87CE14.jpeg

15. SAguitar

SAguitar Tele-Meister

Dang! That's almost Gretsch Orange!

16. Mudman32

Mudman32 Tele-Meister

Well if you don’t like it you won’t lose money if it’s a lacquer model. Even a regular classic sells for about that used.

17. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

I know...…..that keeps coming to mind......

...….and this is a new unsold guitar.

18. NateD81

NateD81 Tele-Meister

I was a little thrown off when I considering this guitar because of the tint of the neck - but having it as long as I have, I don’t even notice it and it’s such a great playing and sounding guitar, seems like a minor thing. I don’t think you’ll regret your purchase but that’s just me!

19. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Meister

The neck tint doesn't affect me in the slightest. I am concerned about other issues like playability.

NateD81 likes this.
  20. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

I ordered a Lacquer 50's online, and when it arrived I was bummed about the neck tint too. It has mellowed, and I have gotten over it, but it's still my least favorite thing about it. Everything else is great luckily haha.

boris bubbanov likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.