1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Found a 5 string custom built tele mandolin any e mando players

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by drewblue, May 4, 2019.

1. drewblue

drewblue Tele-Meister

I know its not a full sized tele but im posting here. But i found a local builder who has a a five string tele electric mandolin with duncans in it. And it looks like a mini 52 butterscotch blackguard to the t and its quality. Would look great with my teles.

About $500.00 he cant move it and he's just getting his time and materials out of it. Its honestly at least a $1k custom instrument. Below is pics of a strat on his site. Shows the quality. He dont have pics of the 52 yet

The deal is for the next couple months work is keeping me on the road in hotels 3 nights a week some flying. I already play decent acoustic mandolin but its a gibby snakehead and i dont want to take it out with me. Never played 5 string electric. But it looks fun. Any thoughts

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  2. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

Snap it up. I play a 4-string JBobier ELS, and it's honestly my favourite instrument. They're great for Wstern Swing, obviously, but they're a jazz machine too. And Rock. etc.

Listen to Back To Back, Jethro Burns and Tiny Moore.

For more contemporary stuff listen to Sam Bush, Laps in Seven

It looks grat, and you'll always be able to move it on if it doesn't work.

3. d barham

d barham Tele-Holic

I've been a mandolin player most of my life. Was fortunate enough to snag a '62 fender electric mandolin before they got crazy high. I've since got one of the newer fender five string electrics. They're lots of fun to play. Yeah, Tiny and Jethro are the right guys to listen to. Maybe some Johnny Gimble too. If you're interested at all, there's a lot of fun to be had for $500.

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  4. drewblue

drewblue Tele-Meister

Oh yeah im familiar with tiny jethro and johnny for sure. I went pretty far off on the deep end of bluegrass mandolin from about 2006 2015. I had a gibson derrington master model my divorce ate. But never electric. My thoughts are i can play it unplugged quiet enough not to bother anyone or plug it into my ipad interface with headphones and rock out or record. Ill post when i pick it up Monday

5. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I play acoustic and acoustic-electric mandolin. I've never warmed to mandos that didn't have a double course for the strings but I've heard others that that make them sound good. There's a local guy who plays with Halden Wofford and the Hi*Beams who has a double neck with a six string guitar and five string mandolin on it. He does some cool stuff.

For $500? Grab it!

Digital Larry likes this.
  6. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Afflicted

I'm a big tenor guitar fan and I have a five string electric tenor, basically tuned like a five string mandolin but a fifth lower. I find it much more versatile than the four string, opening up a load of new chord options and extending the range. They're a good creative tool - anything that helps you think out of the box is a good thing to have in the arsenal.

7. drewblue

drewblue Tele-Meister

Oh yes I agree ive written many songs that started out on mandolin and transposed to guitar easily. Just flip them triads upside down and ya don’t gotta completely learn a whole new song

8. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

...sorry, late to the party. Not exactly mandolin, but it's larger cousin, the mandola. Mini-humbucker version.

My hands are pretty average, but always felt sort of cramped, playing the little mandolins...or maybe I was just too lazy to put in the time to get used to it, pick yer own version of how I feel.

Eastwood Guitars, the Canadians who offer brand new retro styled stuff, including guitars designed by our colleague @John Backlund, also offer this mandola, under the flag of their "Airline" guitars and other things.

The mini-humbucker is very sweet, 18.5" scale, so not so cramped (IMO) and comes set up as a combo of thru-string and top-load bridge (see photo). With the combo bridge, the thing rings like a bell, very lively.

Very useful for providing a little contrast for 2 or 3-set shows. I ain't no Marty Stuart, but I get by. I tune it like some folks tune an octave mandolin C-G-C-G, just because I can.

mandola photo v3.jpg

the bridge:
    IMG_1146.JPG

IMG_1159.JPG

Digital Larry likes this.
  9. drewblue

drewblue Tele-Meister

Here is a pic of it i put it in layaway hope to get it Monday waiting on a bonus. It was a little more than what I originally thought. But it has a handwound custom ordered seymore duncan 5 pole tele pickup made by the man himself. I was told. will add more asap F96415A5-0E06-4773-B914-BBC9652DB722.jpeg

telemnemonics likes this.
  10. drewblue

drewblue Tele-Meister

98BDA732-0CAA-4082-9CC8-3ABB012F4840.jpeg

teletimetx likes this.
  11. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's

I had a 4-string Mandobird, didn't like it. The voicing of chords is characteristic for a mandolin but sounds like an electric guitar otherwise. Sounds like crap through distortion as well, with no low end to get rocking.

I've seen videos of guys playing idiomatic country licks on an electric 4-string so then at that point you're trying to sound like a guitar player IMO. Just use a guitar! If you only play mandolin then I guess it's a different story. If you are really into Tiny Moore and want to cop some of those licks then that could be a different story. I think he developed more of a mando centric lick vocabulary.

Now I have an 8-string Eastwood. Personally, never having played a 5 string I would probably get confused when making chords, and if what you are after is an extended low end, again, just play the guitar!

Am I making my biases clear enough?

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  12. drewblue

drewblue Tele-Meister

Yes but as the initial post stated this is so when im traveling quite a bit it makes it alot easier to throw in a overhead bin and plug into a ipad pro. And honestly im more into hippie noodling at this point and its perfect for that tonal range

13. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's

I get it, thanks for the clarification. For some reason this triggered the memory of a YouTube video of a guy playing an electric mandolin and trying to do all sorts of Tele-style oblique bends in the context of a country tune and it just looked uncomfortable. Bending those short strings isn't all that easy. I appreciate the need for an overhead bin kind of instrument. I have an electric uke (Eleuke) for those rare situations.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.