Fotheringay and Jerry Donahue and English Folk Rock

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by thunderbyrd, Oct 10, 2019.

1. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I recently brought home an interesting book from the library: "Electric Eden: Unearthing Britain's Visionary Music" by Rob Young. Basically, it's about the bands and musicians who applied rock to British folk music. In the past I have read about Sandy Denny, Fairport Convention, Steeleye Span, The Incredible String Band, and several others, but this is the first time I've taken the trouble to listen to them.

Anybody who has listened to Led Zeppelin and especially Jethro Tull has already heard the combination. Really, almost any English rock band from the 60-70's used this vibe from time to time, Beatles and Stones included. But I had never heard this:

I had read about Jerry Donahue before, but I thought he was strictly a country player. He plays some gorgeous solos all over this. You can check him out at about 1:20, 2:48, 6:52, 10:30, 15:20, 16:50, but he plays interesting flourishes throughout. A Telecaster clean into a Fender amp!

I'm not very far along in the book, I'm checking out bands as I read about them. There was a huge amount of creativity at work among these folks. Shame you never hear any of this stuff on the radio.

2. Jim W

Jim W Friend of Leo's

I saw Jerry D when he was in Fairport Convention- he and the rest of the band were fantastic. Pegg is a great bass guitarist and Mattacks is a fantastic drummer. Unfortunately Donahue had a stroke and is no longer able to play (last info that I had).

3. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I am way into Fairport Convention. First heard them around 1988, interpolated between Richard Thompson and Dave Swarbrick. Also big time Tull fan.

I met Jerry and his daughter at NAMM circa 1992. TL;WW

There used to be a "live" video of this, with the exact same audio track. From Fairport "Nine". Jerry's solo begins at around 2:50. Beautiful!

It was uncanny because they really looked like were playing it.

4. Rasmuth

Rasmuth Tele-Afflicted

Love Jerry Donahue, kills me he can't play. A crime against humanity.

Jim W, thunderbyrd, Dan R and 2 others like this.
  5. Iago

Iago Friend of Leo's

Sad to hear about Jerry :(. That Polly on the Shore track features one of my favorite solos ever.

Jim W, thunderbyrd and Digital Larry like this.
  6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

All of the groups you mention are terrific.....but my personal favorite will always be Pentangle. Bert Jansch and John Renbourn (hope I spelled those right) on guitars. Usually they played flat top acoustics, with soundhole pickups. You're right....that genre or niche of music has never gotten the popular radio attention it deserves. These groups (and others) influenced a LOT of musicians.

7. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have fantasized much about starting my very own local, underground, illegal radio show. transmit only for about 4 hours on Friday nights and make a party out of it! play all the great rock music that has never been heard on radio, ever. bands like these in this thread, but also a lot of zappa and cpt. beefheart. lucifer's friend, atomic rooster, budgie, Uriah heep, and all the obscure stuff you can find on youtube.

Jim W and nojazzhere like this.
  8. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Sandy Denny was in Fairport and Fotheringay and had a solo career. She also sang on "Ballad of Evermore". "Fotheringay" was the name of a song Sandy wrote while still in Fairport.

Her husband Trevor Lucas was in Fotheringay and Fairport (he's the singer on the "Polly on the Shore" track). Sadly, both of them passed away early.

Gerry Conway played drums with Fotheringay and Jethro Tull and is the current drummer of Fairport.

Jim W, thunderbyrd and nojazzhere like this.
  9. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

Loved all of this stuff back in the day, only listened to a bit of this track but around the 0:40 mark there is a very familiar sounding progression and time sig ( it was a far more forgiving time I guess )

Wishbone Ash also had glimpses of this style in the early days, Argus in particular

Jim W, thunderbyrd and nojazzhere like this.
  10. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for posting, remember back in the daze 70's hearing this stuff on the fringe FM station. Pentangle was a favorite and one of my cherished pedals is a JD10 session master...that was developed for Jerry.

nojazzhere, Jim W and thunderbyrd like this.
  11. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

I saw Fairport live several times although it's been a while. Pegg is just such a great bassist.
    I have quoted a Dave Mattacks story for many years:
    This is how the music business works:
    - who is Dave Mattacks
    - get me Dave Mattacks
    - get me a young Dave Mattacks

And Jerry should be on a listening list for anyone on TDPRI, a great telecaster user. I saw him a few years ago doing a clinic. He was quite grumpy as I recall it but his playing was just sublime. Sad to hear he is no longer well enough to play. Go listen to the album Telecasting.

12. tomkatf

tomkatf Tele-Afflicted

Guitar nerd question: In the first video, what's the big semi-hollow guitar leaning against the Super Reverb on the right(?) in the first song and played by the second guitarist (Trevor Lucas?) in the second song... Is it an Epiphone Zephyr Emperor Regent?

thunderbyrd likes this.
  13. Jim W

Jim W Friend of Leo's

I saw the Pentangle around 1970 - what a great and unique band. Bert, John, and Danny what great players. Got to see Danny years later with Richard Thompson.

14. suave eddie

suave eddie Tele-Afflicted

If you think Jerry Donahue was strictly a country player you've probably never heard the Hellecasters.

Sorry to hijack the thread a bit. Fairport Convention's Liege and Leaf is a fantastic album.

15. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Funny, I met him at a guitar show in the late 90s, with Will Ray and John Jorgenson. He seemed quite grumpy when I met him as well. It was okay, John Jorgenson was so personable, friendly and outgoing, that I forgot about it.

thunderbyrd and RoyalBaby like this.
  16. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Fairport Convention was my favourite of that genre, and made me a lifetime Jerry Donahue and Richard Thompson fan.

Not from the JD era, but “Who Knows Where the Time Goes” from Unhalfbricking is the most heartbreakingly beautiful song ever. I know there are other versions, and many covers, but that’s the one. Don’t argue, I won’t listen. Lalalalala...

17. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Holic

Pentangle, Fairport and The Incredible String Band (together with of course Bob Dylan) were the sounds of my late teens. I rather lost interest in Fairport after Sandy Denny and Richard Thompson left, though I did see Jerry Donahue with them once and he was a treat. Richard Thompson has stayed a lifelong favourite.

But no, you can't beat this

Brings me to tears every time.

thunderbyrd and Dan German like this.
  18. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

For most of her teenage years, my Sister owned two LP records. One was 'Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme', by Simon and Garfunkel- and the other was 'Fotheringay'- their only record.

By osmosis, I know these records by heart. Highly recommended. :cool:

She later added 'Basket of Light', by Pentangle. You should track that one down, too, if you haven't already.

Jim W and thunderbyrd like this.
  19. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

Jim W and thunderbyrd like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.