1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fortunate or Insulted

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chezdeluxe, Aug 30, 2013.

1. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

The Antique centre where I transact some of my business was broken into overnight.

Cabinets next to mine were smashed open and considerable amounts of jewellery were stolen.

About $8000 worth of my stock in vintage watches, fountain pens and gents gold rings, shirt studs and cufflinks was ignored and left untouched.

Should I feel fortunate or insulted. :confused:

2. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Well, it seems you're feeling both, so go with that :)

3. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

Sounds like your things would be easily identified and not much in the value of melting down, no offense. Only things that cannot be traced are the worthy items. I would feel fortunate because you are still in business.

4. chezdeluxe

I certainly am glad nothing of mine was stolen.

Theft is a fact of life in any retail business and I am lucky that in over 11 years of dealing my losses would not reach $1000.

I feel sorry for the dealers whose stock was stolen. None of them could be considered big time; just folks who spend a fair bit of effort to source good quality stock and let another generation enjoy it whilst making a modest profit for themselves.

One of the sad things about this type of theft is that oftentimes beautifully crafted pieces are destroyed forever by being broken up for the scrap value.

5. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

"vintage watches, fountain pens and gents gold rings, shirt studs and cufflinks"
    Feel fortunate and rather pleased that your gear was obviously of no use to the thieves. They obviously cannot tell the time using an analogue watch, write using a real pen, and only wear shirts with buttons or zips.:lol::lol::lol:
    Sorry could not help myself.

6. richinva

richinva Tele-Meister

Fortunate.

7. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

fortunate.... I suppose...:)

shame to see the other guys get ripped....

8. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

in a situation like that, does the antique center cover those losses? you pay for a booth i assume... does that entail some sort of insurance on their part? i never thought about it before... but it makes me wonder...

9. Ricardo Moraes

Ricardo Moraes Tele-Meister

This is personal: I care for old pens, watches, some old jewellery. Not for jewellery in general. I would feel fortunate, though.

This is business: do you have insurance? What is the balance (in $) between what was stolen and what was left. Could you continue to do business with what is left? Would you have to re-stock immediately?

10. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

I've never understood precious metals. Gimme 10 minutes and a Bedazzler and I am one shiny-happy sparkle-boy!

You are fortunate.

11. chezdeluxe

The Antique Centre does not have insurance to cover loss of stock by individual dealers.

On a cost/benefit basis many years ago I decided I would not take out loss insurance. So far that has proven to be a correct decision. What the insurance circumstances are of other dealers I do not know but I suspect one or two will be suffering a not inconsiderable loss.

The one insurance policy I make sure is current and appropriate is my public liability insurance. I am not going to go down the drain because someone trips over a piece of my stock and is injured.

12. Donelson

Donelson Tele-Afflicted

Not as deep as your story, but I have a sort of similar one. In 1990 a fiend broke into my NYC apartment when I was away. Stole a cheap TV, and two guitars that were in cases, in a closet, LP Jr. and MIJ "Contemporary Telecaster". But, they left untouched a 1953 Gibson ES175, that was sitting out on a guitar stand.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

I hope "they" catch the human roaches who did this awful deed. Undoubtedly will, as criminals are dim bulbs in general.

13. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

Years ago, my father in law had a new at the time Audi 5000, pretty nice car. He had had radio problems and stuck a 30 dollar audiovox radio in it till he could get it straightened out. Someone tore his car all to pieces (5000 dollars of damage) to steal a used 30 dollar radio.

My son had his car broken into, they stole all his cd's. Had a glass jar full of coins, probably 500 dollars, sitting in plain sight on the front seat. Left it. Maybe they did not want to carry it. Pretty glaring to be running down the street with a 50 pound jar of coins.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.