1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Forthcoming NPD: Double Muff

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Dan German, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Junco Partner

Junco Partner Tele-Meister

So I guess I got my chronology wrong, my bad. I’d assumed that once stomp boxes became the norm, all those little plug-ins would’ve been phased out. I wonder if anyone ever tried sticking a plug-in fuzz into the in/outs of a stomp box fuzz?

I’m a bit surprised to see the Double Muff discontinued and climbing in price. I’d always thought about getting a pair of Nano Muff Overdrives to be able to switch between single/double on the fly. Now, it looks like I could actually make a small profit selling my Double and buying two singles, should I ever choose to.

On another side note, I was inspired by this thread to google the Little Big Muff I used to have, and shocked to see that hunk of junk is priced well upwards of $200 on every used gear site. People just immediately charge/pay more for any discontinued old crap as a knee jerk reaction, I suppose. With all the great reissued Muffs EHX is doing lately, plus all the boutique options, I feel like people who cough up massive dough to collect noisy “vintage” Muffs are a bunch of suckers. But that’s just me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anyway, sorry for the derailment and inaccuracies. OP, I hope you get your Muff soon and enjoy it, and if this seller stiffs you again I’d recommend just getting a pair of the single boost pedals, for less money and one more footswitchable option.

2. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

So I’ve heard.

3. Dan German

Well, as I mentioned, this whole Rabbit Holing expedition was financed by the sale of old pedals (mostly two ‘70s EHX pedals, one of which is easily replaced with an affordable modern reissue). However, I’m trying to simplify my pedalboard, since it’s only for my enjoyment, and space is at a premium, so the idea of two singles doesn’t fit into that. Also, it’s looking like those are going to go away also, if my guesswork is correct.

4. Dan German

And, I was correct. “EHX informs us that this product has been discontinued, and will no longer be available. Please contact us if you would like to cancel your order or discuss similar items.”

The universe does not want me Double Muffed. I bow to the universe’s judgement. I will find another way to distort.

5. Junco Partner

Junco Partner Tele-Meister

That sucks. Well as a last resort it seems like it’s an easy pedal to clone, maybe somebody can make one for you

northernguitar likes this.
  6. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

I was just about to mention that.

Dan, if you want this pedal for the tones and not the look, Cody aka. StripFX in Hamilton can build that. His muff-clones are all around $120+ $20 shipping anywhere in Canada. He's solid, I totally recommend his work.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-amp-pedal/hamilton/handmade-circuit-replica-pedals/1523358195

7. Dan German

Thanks for the linque, I’ll keep it handy. I may need other stuff in the future, and I have no problem paying a reasonable price for Canadian-made. The whole thing started with a sentimental whim, which spiralled into a pointless quest. All of the distortion/fuzz rabbit-holing has led me to a product from Quebec which I will hopefully soon be posting a review of.

Edit: I won’t even hold the fact that he’s from Don Cherry-ville against him. :D

8. northernguitar

Hey! My birth town! ;)But seriously, his prices are excellent and the quality is bang on.

Dan German likes this.
  9. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I have memories in early 2000's of going to an 'all-used' Music Store with my buddies, just to 'window shop'.

And I remember the Store had a used Double Muff in a display case, for maybe $40-45, and I asked to see it.

( I think I had read about the pedal in a GP magazine Fuzz feature, and was curious)

I hooked the pedal up between ( I think) a nice MIM Strat and a SF Super Reverb, and the sound was just really fun!
    I never play loud in a store, so the Super was just on 2-3 max, bright and Clean.

With the Double Muff it seemed anything I did with it sounded great- it just a fuzzy distorted trashy detailed tone, with various levels of saturation depending on where I rolled those knobs.

And the cleanup with the Strat Volume knob was startling! Like magic, I felt like I could play anything I wanted just leaving this pedal ON.

Should have bought it!

10. Dan German

Oh, thanks, you’re a lot of help!

(Actually, I didn’t realize they had been around so long. Leave it to me to find out about something the day before it ceases to exist!)

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  11. Dan German

When I worked at University of Winnipeg, a history prof described Hamilton by saying it was “the Pittsburgh of Canada.” Despite the truth in that, I went up to him after the class and said “not really the same thing; Hamilton created Don Cherry, Pittsburgh created Andy Warhol.” For the record, I was born outside Pittsburgh.

12. Chiogtr4x

Sorry!

I don't know if a Double Muff is a true fuzz circuit or not, but I'm pretty sure like a real Fuzz Face type Fuzz ( and I own one) it likes to be the first pedal in line- the impedance/ interaction with the guitar output...

All I know is that doing this, and engaging pedal, gives you this bright/edgy clean tone ( when you back off guitar Volume knob) that you just don't get if the pedal were not there. It's different!

Rolling guitar knob backwards/ forwards with DM ON was just intoxicating!
    Everything sounded good, in a trashy-garage band way. The 'clean' is different, the 'dirt' is different ( from say using an OD, or say a Rat or other Distortion)

* it's a different sound ( more OD, less fuzz) but I can get the same ' clean to dirty' Volume knob roll with a Blues Driver, always ON - but I don't get that magic clean edge like with a Fuzz.

13. Dan German

It’s an overdrive (x2) rather than a fuzz, and reportedly likes living first in line. The “clean up with volume” aspect is a big part of what I was looking for, and I’ve never quite bonded with any of the fuzzes I’ve tried. I have figured out that Fuzz Face style is what I should try if I do try a proper fuzz again (and I am going to). It’s been quite a while since I gave up on fuzz pedals, so other than an old Big Muff, I can’t say which ones it was I tried.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  14. Chiogtr4x

Not that I won't revisit, but fuzzes are just kind of hard for me to control, at the quiter band volume I play. And a Fuzz would only be used on a couple of songs. So they just don't make it to the gig ( I have a small board)

I do have a curiosity to try the red Dunlop Fuzz Face ( Germanium), though. That could be fun?

15. J-Flanders

J-Flanders Tele-Meister

It's two silicon Fuzz Face circuits in series, like putting two blue Dunlop Fuzz Faces after eachother.
    On top of that it also has clipping diodes on the output.
    Can't be anymore fuzz than that.

Circuitwise it has nothing to do with a Big Muff, which is the pedal or versions of it or even clones some people are suggesting to buy instead.

The same goes for the 'EHX Metal Muff' and the 'EHX Germanium 4 Big Muff'. They are unrelated to the Big Muff Pi circuit.

The Double Muff is a silicon Fuzz Face, even two of them. Whatever the name on the box ,inside, the circuit, is a fuzz face type circuit.

Awesome pedal!

In case it wasn't clear in the linked thread (post #4) I'll post it again:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  16. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

Good to see all this discussion about this awesome pedal. A decade ago they were a dime a dozen and no one wanted them — I think because they don’t work well with a standard Fender backline. They do want to be first after the guitar. They can work like a boost, an overdrive or a fuzz depending on how you set Muff 1 and Muff 2 in relation to each other. The pedal also cleans up amazingly well so it’s a great thing just to leave on and control from your guitar volume.

Like other Fuzz Face type circuits it doesn’t sound very good in front of a clean Fender preamp (at least to me). I own a Twin and it sounds harsh with that amp. It doesn’t work well in front of my Mesa Rocket 44 either. I use my DM in front of an Epiphone Triggerman where it shines.

Here is the original single circuit box. They made these up to the early ‘80s as far as I know:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  17. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Holic

First, I absolutely agree on the demos all being cranked. No one seems to want to demo the variety of sounds a pedal produces. Instead, they want to crank the gain and level and see how much noise it makes. Like you, I want a hint of distortion or overdrive, something smooth and creamy, not an massacre.

But, with that in mind... if you like it light, why would you want the Double Muff except for nostalgia? Stacking two is going to be fuzz/distortion over the top.

However, if that's your goal, why not look into a Fender Pugilist. Same idea, but you can blend the two in parallel (one is hotter/dirtier) or run them in series. Or effectively just run one. They're down to $119 at GC. Very flexible.

18. Dan German

The Pugilist is certainly an interesting take on the idea, and with a lot more flexibility. As for the Muff Fuzz/Double Muff, when I had the original one, I found it to clean up on the guitar volume fairly well. I saw a couple of demos of the Double where the same was true. I did look at the Pugilist, and it seems like a lot of pedal for the money, but it was one of the pedals where every demo went straight to high-gain weedly weedly and nasty saturation. I just looked a little harder, and found some better demos, and it probably would do the job for me, but they still didn’t do a good job of showing it doing what I want. And yeah, the Muff Fuzz thing was heavily fueled by nostalgia. As it is, I am trying a Canadian-made pedal to see how that goes.

19. northernguitar

What’s that?

20. Dan German

It's a secret until NPD.

My batting average with getting excited beforehand is obviously not good.

:D

NoTeleBob and northernguitar like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.