1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Forthcoming NPD: Double Muff

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Dan German, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

The first effect I ever owned was an EHX Muff Fuzz. The wee steel box with one knob. (I don’t remember getting rid of it, but I haven’t seen it in donkeys.) Having disposed of nearly all excess pedals over the last month and a half, I started wondering if it was time to try a fuzz again. Me and fuzz have a troubled relationship. And yes, I know the Muff Fuzz is a distortion. But going down the fuzz/distortion pedal demo/review rabbit hole got me thinking about the overlap between fuzz and distortion, and where I fit in. First, I hate the fact that almost all fuzz demos focus on how fuzzed it can get. I can’t envision my playing going into tearing speaker nail-spitting world. I just want an edge on the tone, so I’m thinking what I want is maybe not fuzz per se, but fuzzy distortion. Anyway, all my poking around made me aware of the Double Muff. How had I never heard of this until this year? There are a few good demos of it, and it sounds like something I could live with. Right now, most people in Canada are out of stock, but the place with the lowest price actually had one. Click. Not just my first effect come back to me, but two of them in one box!

Here’s hoping!

2. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

Happy future NPD! I can't think of a better way to start buying pedals again.

3. Dan German

Hmm, not so forthcoming. "Due to delays in production, blah blah blah two to three weeks blah blah..." However, their price was slightly better than all the other places I would have had to backorder from, so whatever.

northernguitar and telemnemonics like this.
  4. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

Happy new double muff pedal almost day!!

I had one of these I got as part of a trade and eventually moved on from it. Here is my NPD thread on it, which received some good commentary.

The sweet spot I found for this pedal was to used the "double" position on the switch, Muff 1 around 9 am, Muff 2 around 2-3pm, as a start, find a place you like for Muff 2, leave it and then adjust muff 1 to taste. I treated Muff 1 more like volume and 2 more like gain, IIRC.

Have fun, whenever it gets there!!!

5. Dan German

Aaaaand...

EHX says it’s been discontinued, according to the vendor. Too late to the party. :mad:

northernguitar and telemnemonics like this.
  6. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

7. Dan German

Weird. I immediately went to Reverb to remind myself how much extra they were asking for them there, and there were none from Canadian vendors, even though I’ve seen the listing you shared before. And now, it looks valid. It’s more money, but I might go for it just to be obstinate about this.

8. Dan German

Back to square one: INODPTBBGD!!

(Incoming New Overpriced Pedal That Better Be Good Day)

Thanks, @schenkadere

They’re asking too much for it, but since nobody else seems to have one, I can either wait to see if a used one becomes available (assuming its discontinued status doesn’t prompt people to start gouging even worse than this). It’s not a ton of money in the grand scheme of things, and if I don’t at least try it, I’ll wonder if I should have. Hopefully this won’t end up in my Reverb shop in a few months. :D

(I made enough selling a couple of ‘70s pedals that just weren’t seeing much use that I can be a little spendy about this one.)

AAT65 and schenkadere like this.
  9. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I would seriously skip the double and select a single version.
    Chicago Stomp Works makes great clones.

The reason is that with the double you get no level knob.

Oddly, a muff gets MORE distorted as you turn the gain or fuzz knob AKA sustain knob DOWN, where most dirt pedals get less distorted.
    They never get clean but the sustain knob adds bass as you turn it down and the bass turns the sound to mud.

You need both the sustain/ gain knob and the level/ output knob, and a tone knob is handy too.

10. Dan German

Too late. I considered just getting the EHX single (or maybe two, and trying to fake the double—the price would have come out about the same :)) but those are out of stock most places, too. Wonder if they’re for the chopping block as well? You are probably correct, and I’m sure there are other, maybe better, versions of what is a ridiculously simple device, but since I had the original when I was first starting out, and I liked a lot of the demos of this particular device, I kind of got my heart set on it. Water under the bridge, horses out of the barn, money already taken from credit card. Unless this place turns around and tells me it is unavailable, which will **** me off to no end.

11. telemnemonics

Oh I misunderstood, thought it was sold out but only delayed?

12. Junco Partner

Junco Partner Tele-Meister

Double Muff is a pair of stacked Muff Overdrive circuits, which were always a one-knob fuzzy boost affair. The original pre-pedal versions were just a box that plugged straight into the guitar or amp, can’t recall which. Big Muff fuzzes are a totally different animal.

With the Double Muff in double mode, you certainly can use one knob as gain and the other as volume, although you still have no way to control the level if you crank both for maximum fuzziness.

Iago and northernguitar like this.
  13. telemnemonics

I've never heard of a pre stomp box muff that plugged straight into the amp?
    Are you maybe referring to the LPB?
    I had one of those, cool but not a muff.

Gets confusing when you say "muff overdrive circuits"?
    Muffs are distortion like fuzz pedals, but unlike say the Rat, muffs can't do plain overdrive because the dirt cannot be dialed out or even down low.

Many say the V1 triangle muff was "more like" an overdrive, but again, it only does dirt from lowest to highest, with no mild overdrive, just distortion that's less fuzzy that all the later muffs, depending on how you use them.
    I like the triangle the least of all the muffs.

14. Junco Partner

Junco Partner Tele-Meister

Yes, it is a bit confusing because of the similar name, but the original “Muff Fuzz” is different from a “Big Muff”. They did come in little plug-in non-stomp boxes, like the LPB. This is what the OP is talking about, and the thread linked by @bluesholyman in comment #4 sheds a bit more light on the circuit thanks to @11gauge; basically it’s a silicon Fuzz Face with the fuzz rolled off.

The newer Nano “Muff Overdrive” is a recreation of that earlier circuit in standard pedal form, and the Nano “Double Muff” is two stacked in one pedal, with the option to just use one. (There was previously a non-Nano Double Muff, same circuit in a larger wedge enclosure) So you get a gritty boost from one, and a fuzzier sound when the two are stacked, with the ability to use the first and second, roughly, as somewhat interactive gain and volume.

To muddy the waters even more, I also briefly owned a “Little Big Muff” which is an actual Big Muff circuit with just a volume knob and 2 way tone switch. Not adjustable at all, I sold it back to the guy I bought it from for the same price after he had seller’s remorse (he’d had it since he was a teen) and I didn’t miss it a bit. EHX, who seem intent on confusing the hell out of everyone, later issued a 3 knob muff in their “XO” size enclosure, also called the “Little Big Muff” despite there being nothing little about it. Sheesh! Makes you wish they’d just come up with more pedal names.

Dan German and northernguitar like this.
  15. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

I have this one on my board at my jamspot (bass player's basement). It sounds exactly like a big box regular version I owned (not a classic, was probably made in the early '00s.
    Dan, I don't know your budget, but I highly recommend a treble booster pedal to sit in front of the muff. This is a really neat trick and turns the muff into a very cool sounding distortion pedal.

16. Dan German

No, first “we regret the delay” followed by “ooh, no, that’s been discontinued.” Followed by me ordering one from a store in the Lower Mainland (more pricier), followed by NEW DEVELOPMENT:

“Thank you for your purchase but we had just sold the last of these and can now get another to ship to you in about a week to 10 days. Please confirm you're able to wait until then as we're unable to ship one any earlier right now. Sorry about the delay.”

It is my assumption that some time will pass, then they will inform me that it is discontinued and unavailable.

My first ever effects box as a callow youth was a Muff Fuzz, which is part of the reason I became attached to the idea of this one. I posted another thread about this old EHX catalog page.

https://www.ehx.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/1970-ehx-catalog-page.pdf

“My” Muff Fuzz is featured near the LPB. Some of those little boxes had a fixed male jack to go directly into the amp, some (like mine) had two female, but you can see that they also sold a male-to-male so you could put any of them direct from guitar or to amp.

telemnemonics and northernguitar like this.
  17. telemnemonics

Oh there it is!
    Not made before the big muff pi though, where I think the LPB was earlier?
    So that’s what you had all those years ago? Single knob?
    I wonder if the double is two of those or something else?
    Mike is a bit loose with circuitry!

Hope you get some muff action soon!

18. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Holic

I bought a Double Muff almost 20 years ago and kept it for quite a while. It's not a Big Muff but is a cool box in its own right. I used mine both as a fuzz and as a boost.

19. Dan German

It is allegedly two of those side by each with controls/switch to suit. I wish I could find my original. It’s possible that temporary derangement caused it to go bye-byes.

20. ScribbleSomething

ScribbleSomething Tele-Holic

Is the double muff one of those that prefers to be first inline?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.