Forgotten Songs of the 90's

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
Yeah it is the only song by them I remember. Huge hit though. Kind of odd they don't seem to have others. Or perhaps that's just my memory.

This was the big hit off the second album... I remember it now I'm hearing it. Looks like they pretty much died after this album though, splits and reformations but never really doing much.

Linderflomann

Tele-Meister
This was the big hit off the second album... I remember it now I'm hearing it. Looks like they pretty much died after this album though, splits and reformations but never really doing much.

Yes, absolutely remember it now! I like that one too, haha. Maybe I should dig deeper into my guilty pleasures.

TomBrokaw

Tele-Meister
Did it really or did it just get discovered once grunge became a bigger "thing"? Then folks went back to the sources.
I remember Metalshop magazine had at least one article on them, maybe two, as being the NBT, and then Andrew Wood OD'd.

As far as forgotten 90s songs, here's a smattering from my personal 90s playlist. A few are probably technically 90s-adjacent, but are very much of that era, much like the Filter song upthread.
3 Doors Down - Kryptonite
Candlebox - Far Behind
Concrete Blonde - Caroline
Concrete Blonde - Joey
Drivin' 'N' Cryin - Fly Me Courageous
Drivin' 'N' Cryin - I'm Going Straight to Hell
Extreme - Cupid's Dead
Fountains of Wayne - Radiation Vibe

Grant Lee Buffalo - Fuzzy

Jeff Buckley's cover of Hallelujah
Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band - Blue On Black
Local H - Bound For The Floor (the "Keep It Copacetic" song)
Lo Fidelity Allstars - Battleflag
Neutral Milk Hotel - Ghost
Scatterbrain - Down With The Ship
Scatterbrain - Sonata #3

Sea Hags - Bunkbed Creek

Squirrel Nut Zippers - Hell
Texas - In Our Lifetime
The Cranberries - Zombie
The Stone Roses - I Wanna Be Adored (and The Raveonette's cover)
The Stone Roses - Fool's Gold
Toadies - Possum Kingdom
Tori Amos - Caught A Light Sneeze
Violent Femmes - Blister In The Sun

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
I want to say Whiskeytown have largely been forgotten, but that might just be over here. 'Too Drunk to Dream' came on a random play today and I was reminded of how much I used to enjoy them. I've not forgotten about them but I hardly ever hear them mentioned by anyone, even people I know that got into them through Ryan Adams 'Gold' and were really into them 20 years ago.

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
Fun thread.

I dunno that he's forgotten, and yeah, it's on a DVD I probably got at a Barnes and Noble (very 90s on both counts), but this specific take of this song never got enough love for me. I watch it a lot, what a loss.

What about this one:

A hit is a hit. I remembered him from Ice-T compilations and then House of Pain, but that one... talk about right song/right time. "Of its time" no doubt.

Flip G

Tele-Holic
I haven't thought of this one in a while, but it was one of the cassettes I owned.

"Lucas with the Lid Off" is a song by Danish rapper Lucas Secon that was released as the lead single from his second album, Lucacentric (1994). It features a sample from the 1935 Benny Goodman song "When Buddha Smiles".[3] The song was a hit in the United States, reaching number 29 on the Billboard Hot 100 and number 22 on the Billboard Modern Rock Tracks chart. It was most successful in Australia, where it reached number 15, and it peaked within the top 40 in Canada, Iceland, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom.

The music video for the song was directed by the French film maker Michel Gondry and was nominated for a Grammy Award for Best Music Video at the 37th Annual Grammy Awards.

strmusicman

TDPRI Member
Fun thread.

I dunno that he's forgotten, and yeah, it's on a DVD I probably got at a Barnes and Noble (very 90s on both counts), but this specific take of this song never got enough love for me. I watch it a lot, what a loss.

A hit is a hit. I remembered him from Ice-T compilations and then House of Pain, but that one... talk about right song/right time. "Of its time" no doubt.

masterpiece

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Afflicted
I loved this album in the early 90s: Eg and Alice "24 Years of Hunger".
They had a few minor charting singles including this one but Eg White went on to become a very prolific writer for various artists from Adele to CeeLo (too many too mention).
There ain't a bad song on the album and the video I've posted is from Tom Robinson's YT channel which I think is a fairy good endorsement.

wacolo

Tele-Afflicted
This is the first place my brain went. I remember it showing up on MTV a lot. Cheesy and catchy as hell and I think it even made it onto Beavis and Butthead.